Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I'm a bicycle rider, and don't have a license/car. To get somewhere, I do three things: walk, ride mass transit, or bicycle. That means that for a lot of things, I end up riding my bicycle. I am not someone who has a bicycle in the garage that I throw on top of my Subaru once a week, get dressed up in fancy cycling clothes, and go to some perfectly scenic location for "a ride".

I have bicycle rides, but I also just have riding my bicycle. This is kind of how I break it down:

1-10 miles: This is a commuting ride, I usually am going out for groceries, but sometimes I will just do a quick recreational ride like this. I don't really prepare for these rides unless it is the middle of summer and I need to bring some water.

10-20 miles: This isn't a full "bicycle ride", but its usually done for something other than practical purposes. I can still do this on a whim on a day when I am also doing other things. I might bring some water and a snack for this.

20-35 miles: This is a short "bicycle ride". I don't just get on my bicycle and ride over 20 miles, I usually plan it out, dress for it, bring supplies. The next day, I might be sore, but not enough to stop me from doing things.

35-60 miles: This is an ambitious ride. Somewhere between 30 and 40 miles, I will "bonk" and need a lot of food to replace my glycogen. I will also be going far away enough from home to make me a little nervous. I will need to bring water, food, and other supplies. I will also probably pick a good destination, since if I am going that far I might as well see some pretty trees. I will be tired enough the next day that I might not be very useful for things, especially in the mornings.

60-100 miles: This is an epic undertaking, at least for me. I plan for just the right day, get all my supplies in order, and spend all day riding, and spend the next day or two recovering.

Anyway, that is how bicycle riding breaks down for me. What about you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I bike to work every day about 2 miles each way. I always have to wear "fancy clothes" since the weather is so extreme that my work clothes would be ruined after a few weeks. That's fun enough but I really like to do singletracking during summer and fall when it's dry. I take a 26er mountain bike out for 7-20 miles or so. Nothing like being out in the forest by yourself for a few hours. I also go bike camping occasionally, like once a year. There are some great rails-to-trails projects around me that you can do 50 miles easily and stay the night in an old railroad town.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
15-20 miles are my weekday "keeping in shape" rides and usually involve putting in effort up the hills to get my heart rate up, etc.

20-35 I don't often go on but are the "I want to go longer but don't have time" rides

40-60 are group rides or weekend rides trying to go to different places or put in some time

60-100 are tough long rides I pretty much have to assume will take up a lot of the day from ride time to recovery

under 15 or so I don't usually do because I'm not commuting by bike anymore. When I did commute I'd wear some different clothes but not full on padded shorts and all, just like some knickers and a wool short sleeve bike jersey since I can't make myself stand going slow enough to not sweat during the summer and had showers at work

bikes bikes bikes

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Hey, this is fun, I love bikes! This is what I do (all are one-way), from regularly to less so:

9 miles + a bunch of stairs is my present commute. It goes through OHSU where the hottest, healthiest people in town work, I like it. Ok I don't, I'm tired of it.

15 miles + 4000ft elevation gain, hard but quick exertion.

30 miles + 2000ft elevation gain, more of a pilgrimage.

40 miles + 2000ft elevation gain, I've done this once, and used the freeways (lol) to get back, making it 80 miles. Maybe I was in a really good mood, it seemed kind of easy?

I only wear whatever I'm wearing before deciding to get on a bike, and only bike on my 40 lb modified commuter. I keep my icycle boiled and clean, and love to take the cones apart and put em back together.

quote:

I'm a bicycle rider, and don't have a license/car. To get somewhere, I do three things: walk, ride mass transit, or bicycle. That means that for a lot of things, I end up riding my bicycle. I am not someone who has a bicycle in the garage that I throw on top of my Subaru once a week, get dressed up in fancy cycling clothes, and go to some perfectly scenic location for "a ride".

yer making me roudy. World needs more of this!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

4k feet in 15 miles is some crazy poo poo

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Levitate posted:

4k feet in 15 miles is some crazy poo poo

Thanks! But it's peanuts compared to other things people do around here.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mount Scott is nice to ride, but these guys may have taken it too far :0

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

7k feet in 50 miles actually seems better than 4k feet in 15 miles...do you mean it's 4k feet over 30 miles total? I was a bit confused with the way you phrased things. Either way it's some good poo poo!

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i'm going to get a bougie electric bike

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The proper system of measurement to be used when conversing about cycling is the metric system.

Last harsh guy ride I did was 100 km solo in 3 hours with 1100 meters elevation climbed. While it was a good training ride it was not enjoyable. It felt like going to work and the jobs not done till its done.

I had a much more pleasant group ride last night over 50 km at a more casual pace with a few spicy sprint efforts dashed in there.

My interest include motor pacing, having a cool haircut, and post ride beverages.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

what kind of bike do you have op

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Trabandiumium posted:

what kind of bike do you have op

A stock Giant that I got from a bike shop, cost me 300 dollars when I got it in 2011. Parts of it that have been replaced: The wheels, the gears, the chain, the tires, the brakes, the tubes, the shifters, the seat, pretty much everything but the body.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

I used to be a mechanical engineer, and just have to say WTF is up with bikes. I love them, but holy crap do they need a lot of attention.

Mine's about the same as yours, maintenance included, but Cannondale.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

meselfs posted:

I used to be a mechanical engineer, and just have to say WTF is up with bikes. I love them, but holy crap do they need a lot of attention.

I think the biggest thing about bicycles is just that they are the only type of machinery where the parts are that exposed. Car engines also can get some dust and grit, but they are at least partially covered. All the gears and stuff on a bicycle are under a constant barage of dust and gravel flying up from the tires.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Indeed, and it's possible to eliminate exposed drivetrains:

http://pinion.eu/en/

Can't find anyone who sells these in the US (or 5k$ to spare for that matter). Blows my mind that this is 21st century technology. I'm a commuter and would use it if it weighed a kilogram more, happily, if I didn't have to fix broken/mucky things every full moon.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Internal gear hubs aren't terribly uncommon or expensive and need a ton less maintenance. You just don't see them as much because most bicyclists focus on going fast rather than chilling out on an upright bike.

The Citi bikes in NY are a good example. You could probably throw one of those down a flight of stairs and ride away. Slowly.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I dont have a bike, or a TV, OP.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Riding around the neighborhood is a real workout for me, OP.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

You really cheer me up, OP. I don't have a car or license either, I got spoiled living in a city with kick-rear end public transit (Denver) and didn't even need a bike. Now that I live up in the front range Im trying to get into cycling to get around, but I was really sweating all these people telling me that I absolutely must buy a car to have a "real commute" and that nobody could ever ride their bike to work more than two or three miles a day. Thanks for proving those people wrong, it inspires me to keep trying.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

You really cheer me up, OP. I don't have a car or license either, I got spoiled living in a city with kick-rear end public transit (Denver) and didn't even need a bike. Now that I live up in the front range Im trying to get into cycling to get around, but I was really sweating all these people telling me that I absolutely must buy a car to have a "real commute" and that nobody could ever ride their bike to work more than two or three miles a day. Thanks for proving those people wrong, it inspires me to keep trying.

Yeah, that sounds about on par for the front range. Good on you for bike commuting.

I stopped using GPS apps a while ago and it's really hilly where I live, so I usually think of my riding in terms of time rather than miles. Hillier rides tend to be slower, so how long a ride is tends to be a pretty good approximation of how hard it was.

I was working as a bicycle delivery person for a while and that burned me out on riding a little, but I'm trying to get back up to around an hour a day with some occasional half- or all-day stuff on the weekends.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I stopped using GPS apps a while ago

Not to derail, but I'm curious why you stopped using GPS. It's another thing American suburbanites think of as a bare necessity on the level of oxygen.

Back to bikes, today I tested out the commute to a job I'm trying out for, 3 miles on a lovely path by a creek with spring flowers and ducks and bunnies, it was awesome. I have never in my life wanted a job because of the awesome commute, bikes rule.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Not to derail, but I'm curious why you stopped using GPS. It's another thing American suburbanites think of as a bare necessity on the level of oxygen.

if you know where you are and where you're going, why do you need GPS?

:agreed:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yard salad posted:

if you know where you are and where you're going, why do you need GPS?

GPS devices also let you track your rides and some people like to do that for various reasons. Some of the reasons are stupid bullshit like getting really invested into Strava KOMs and trying to be the fastest rear end in a top hat out there, but some of the reasons are people just like to keep track of things and see if they're getting into better shape, etc. I like to be able to share my rides with my family and friends who also use Strava so it's neat to see what they're doing and where they're riding.

Back to bikes, today I tested out the commute to a job I'm trying out for, 3 miles on a lovely path by a creek with spring flowers and ducks and bunnies, it was awesome. I have never in my life wanted a job because of the awesome commute, bikes rule.

It's awesome until some runner swerves into you and almost knocks you down and then yells at you like it's your fault they were oblivious to the world with earphones in :argh:

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Levitate posted:

It's awesome until some runner swerves into you and almost knocks you down and then yells at you like it's your fault they were oblivious to the world with earphones in :argh:

I used to wear earphones on my walk to work in the city, until I missed getting flattened by a bus by a hair's width. As I turned around at the split second it narrowly missed me, it was so close the mirror clipped the tip of my nose. Now I don't wear headphones at all unless I'm editing audio in a shared area or something. Never outside.

I need a new seat for my bike, does anyone have a cool comfy-commute bike-seat they especially like?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

More fuss than it was worth to me. Worrying about battery life & privacy issues detracted from my riding experience more than the tracking functions added to it.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

More fuss than it was worth to me. Worrying about battery life & privacy issues detracted from my riding experience more than the tracking functions added to it.

Cool. I still wipe out too much to carry anything breakable but myself, but it's good to know there's social media for bicycle mapping enthusiasts.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Use the phone you're probably already carrying. It sounds like you don't need the display, it can do the job from your pocket/saddle bag/whatever.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Levitate posted:

GPS devices also let you track your rides and some people like to do that for various reasons. Some of the reasons are stupid bullshit like getting really invested into Strava KOMs and trying to be the fastest rear end in a top hat out there, but some of the reasons are people just like to keep track of things and see if they're getting into better shape, etc. I like to be able to share my rides with my family and friends who also use Strava so it's neat to see what they're doing and where they're riding.

Hey now, if I try to be the fastest rear end in a top hat out there will people assume I use a GPS :ohdear:?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Use the phone you're probably already carrying. It sounds like you don't need the display, it can do the job from your pocket/saddle bag/whatever.

what

i was. how does this have anything to do with anything i said

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

don't wear headphones on your bike! if you have to have music use one of those water bottle speakers so you can hear cars / angry dad cyclists behind you

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

glowing-fish posted:

Biking is better than driving a car, but you know what's better than biking? Inline skating. Let me count the ways.
No need for a lock. You can carry them easily.
Cheap. For the price of that bike lock you don't need, you can get a nice set of skates.
Comboing with mass transit? Much easier to carry on. No special racks required. You won't hold everyone up while you figure out how to load it. This would work for planes too, but planes are for the rich (oh wait, you are).

I'm only sort of joking. They don't work in the rain though, let alone snow/ice.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I see people texting on their bikes, and while that used to just seem insane, now it seems insane and outdated what with voice recognition software. There's got to be fifty smart-helmet companies by now if you really need on-the-fly restaurant advertisements suggestions.

Then again the people texting on their bike also don't wear helmets, so maybe that's part of it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I need a new seat for my bike, does anyone have a cool comfy-commute bike-seat they especially like?

I especially like Selle SMP's line of saddles. I recently upgraded my regular smp to the Selle Hell, which is a bit thinner and has less in the way of padding. It's counterintuitive, but less padding is much easier on your derriere because your ischial tuberosity (sit bones) rest directly on the saddle instead of being spread out over your muscles/soft tissue, which is what aches and compresses over longer rides. The cutout in the middle also helped relieve numbness in my perineal nerve.

I was really sweating all these people telling me that I absolutely must buy a car to have a "real commute" and that nobody could ever ride their bike to work more than two or three miles a day

2-3 miles a day is walking distance, tbh. My cycling commute is roughly 20 miles a day, and it only takes me ~25 minutes to go ten miles each way. It honestly takes me longer to drive via car than it does to bike in, especially with rush hour traffic.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

*Rad bike seat recommendations AND*

"2-3 miles a day is walking distance, tbh. My cycling commute is roughly 20 miles a day, and it only takes me ~25 minutes to go ten miles each way. It honestly takes me longer to drive via car than it does to bike in, especially with rush hour traffic."

You are a cool dude. Thanks!

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I moved cities, but back when I lived in Ottawa, I would bike everywhere 9 months out of the year. Most of the city is within 12KM of each other, my main job was about 8km from my apartment and my second job was also about 8km, they were 12 km from each other. Also, there were north/south canal/river trails that made getting downtown easy. I've now moved back south, my commute would be about 25km to work, if I didn't have to take my kid to Daycare, at least I can take him for rides!

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
Blah blah blah I ride my fixed gear 10-15 miles in one day. Ride fixed gear 20-30 miles bud

I used to ride my fixie 16 miles a day and wait tables, no snacks or water. I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes, and drink..

I got up to 30-32 MPH but I was ripping my bottom bracket apart (had to go back to a higher gear ratio)

Oh and I love hills

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

bikesonyx posted:

Blah blah blah I ride my fixed gear 10-15 miles in one day. Ride fixed gear 20-30 miles bud

I used to ride my fixie 16 miles a day and wait tables, no snacks or water. I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes, and drink..

I got up to 30-32 MPH but I was ripping my bottom bracket apart (had to go back to a higher gear ratio)

Oh and I love hills

I commute through hills and see someone like you like once a year, the only fixie riders I hold in high regard. Go Mr Fixie!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bikesonyx posted:

Oh and I love hills

Man, that sounds awful. Good news is that you can get a halfway decent geared bike for pretty inexpensive these days, so there's no reason to ride a fixie anymore :unsmith:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

meselfs posted:

ever tried riding a bike from one of those self-serve bike-share systems? like one of these e.g.

they're built like tanks, and weigh about the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Lutha Mahtin posted:

ever tried riding a bike from one of those self-serve bike-share systems? like one of these e.g.

they're built like tanks, and weigh about the same

https://youtu.be/v4OZci_WJzU

:stonklol:

• Locked thread