Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
re: that famous fake quote, Scalia later actually wrote something similar in a dissent:

http://www.businessinsider.com/antonin-scalia-says-executing-the-innocent-is-constitutional-2014-9

quote:

"This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is 'actually' innocent," Scalia wrote in a 2009 dissent of the Court's order for a federal trial court in Georgia to consider the case of death row inmate Troy Davis. "Quite to the contrary, we have repeatedly left that question unresolved, while expressing considerable doubt that any claim based on alleged 'actual innocence' is constitutionally cognizable."

Which may be technically correct if you don't mind being technically Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mr Jaunts posted:

Now they're running a Piers Morgan interview with him talking about the death penalty and torture. Piers Morgan may be a pill, but compared with Scalia he's positively charming.

"Torture isn't cruel and unusual punishment because since they haven't been convicted of a crime yet, it's not a punishment per se."

Yeah, that's an amazing quote. Or paraphrase I hope. The government torturing confessions out of people? Nothing wrong with that!

I used to say I didn't wish Scalia dead necessarily, just that I wouldn't want anything done to him he'd think was unconstitutional. Moot point now. :v:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Obama just spoke, didn't say much other than that he intends to make a nomination.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

biznatchio posted:

Yes they can. Law only forbids someone from serving in Congress while also holding an office of the United States. It says nothing about being in the executive and judicial at the same time.

Technically correct, Scalia would approve.

e: Time for the debate, let's see how long this takes to go complete shitshow.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Discendo Vox posted:

That second one, the one that generated the fake quote, really isn't that bad- it's just really easy to misrepresent the decision. That said...

I mean if you wanted to be really generous and assume he was just making a technical :fishmech: point, sure. But based on other statements of his he seemed to think 24 was a documentary, so.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
For real, it would be one thing if he'd said "well the constitution technically allows this and congress might want to do something about that." In reality he cited and defended Jack Bauer. This is a thing that happened.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Latest :tinfoil:-bait news is Scalia had sleep apnea and his CPAP was found unplugged.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
WaPo's the first hit for this and they explain things a bit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...an-be-dangerous

In short there's like a *tiny* chance forgetting to use your CPAP one night will kill you, and slightly less tiny for an old guy with other health issues.

Mostly this is just another reason to point and laugh at the Clinton Body Count crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
That's just what they want you to think.

• Locked thread