Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm glad he's dead and I hope there's a hell where he can burn. gently caress him, the country will be better without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

So, uh, I guess we have a constitutional crisis now?

Why?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Reminder :

quote:

When the Senate is in recess, a president may make temporary appointments to fill vacancies. Recess appointees hold office only until the end of the next Senate session (less than two years). The Senate must confirm the nominee for them to continue serving; of the two chief justices and six associate justices who have received recess appointments, only Chief Justice John Rutledge was not subsequently confirmed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure the Senate is in Recess right now which would mean Obama can appoint someone as to fill a vacancy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

The senate can stop that with pro forma sessions, so it probably won't happen.

He didn't actually say that. The actual things he said in other cases, as cited by others already, are much worse.

I don't think so, this was what that whole debate was about regarding recess appointments. Scalia passed away in a actual recess.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Clarence Thomas is more conservative than Scalia.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This means huge strides in LGBT rights with him dying. Specifically, the ADA court case regarding person's who are transgender that's winding it's way through the federal courts right now.

So yeah him dying is going to a lot of good. Hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This nomination is going to be the hill that Cruz or Rubio choose to die on so that'll be pretty great.

• Locked thread