Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have a question: Congress sets the number of justices on the Supreme Court, correct? What's stopping them from changing it from 9 to 8? A month or two of bewildered negative press before it becomes the new normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Platonicsolid posted:

Congress sets the size of the court through legislation, and they don't do much legislation these days.

Seriously, even if it passed, no doubt it'd get vetoed hard.

Is it an actual bill-vote-veto-or-don't process, though? I thought there were some acts of congress that didn't need executive approval, and that was among them.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

An even number of jurists is a really terrible idea at any level. A bunch of 4-4 splits ends up with hugely dysfunctional governm...

gently caress, they're going to do it, aren't they? :ohdear:

Everyone would dogpile on Congress if it decided it wanted to change the bench from 9 to 8 people. It's a terrible idea. Not as bad as popular elections for the SCOTUS, but still pretty bad.

Please define 'everyone.'

Does this insantiation of 'everyone' include the people that vote in Republican primaries? It would Stop Obama, and Obama Bad. The House and Senate Republicans really don't have to kowtow to anyone else.

I don't believe that they have the energy or desire to fight that war, but I still see it as something they could do if more of them were truly as moontouched as Ted Cruz et al.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

Assuming federal troops are going to join a rebellion just because they happened to be stationed in Texas is pretty dumb.

It actually makes it harder to win a war if the enemy soldiers are already occupying you.

I'm having trouble finding US military demographics by state lived in at time of enlistment, but I did find that they're a pretty even slice of the U.S. population by things like race. Assuming that new recruits are evenly scattered across the bases, any rebels loyal to their state would always be outnumbered just in the fight to take control of the base itself.

This would make a fun video game setting.

Edit:

Drogue Chronicle posted:

The south also contributes a greatly disproportionate number of enlistments. And servicemen are heavily republican.

Do you have the data on that on hand?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Drogue Chronicle posted:

The minorities are heavily in support jobs and there for the paycheck. The infantry and tankers who signed up to kill someone are disproportionately white.

I was a combat arms artillery officer for 8 years.

So all the Born-To-Kills will pecker off in their tanks and kill about a dozen dirty darkies each before dissolving into infighting over who gets to eat the 3 MRE's someone forgot in one of the tanks seven years ago.

While I haven't really contributed any meaningful discussion here, I do wonder how that would work out, logistically. Do military bases all have a siege's worth of food and fuel and furthermore stowed away that a coup attempt could rely on for a while, or do they need everything contiguously trucked in to keep working? Everything is so interconnected these days that it makes you wonder how feasible anyone has even tried to make that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Kilroy posted:

It's almost like the Constitution has no provision for what happens when one branch of government just flat-out refuses to do their loving job, because why would it?

The Missouri Compromise seems almost polite these days.

• Locked thread