Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fojar38 posted:

He lived juuuuuuust long enough to see gay marriage legalized everywhere.

And with any luck, getting trolled on that is what finally pushed him over the edge.

I'm just a humble internet sociopath, but it seems to me no one should be particularly sad about this. I'm sure it's horrible for his loved ones, and they have my sympathy, but the man was a craven shill and had no problem loving over millions of people without even the veneer of internal consistency. The United States was just made a nicer place solely by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilweasel posted:

wasn't the Supreme Court about to issue a decision on a case on the validity of recess appointments or did that already happen

The Supreme Court's getting pretty meta these days

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

...inasmuch as Bachmann has read neither.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Luna Was Here posted:

I went and took a poo poo and by the time I finished wiping scalia was dead

God bless America

Get back in there, with any luck we can get Alito while we're at it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilweasel posted:

Predictit is still giving odds of about 35%-40% Obama gets someone confirmed, which I don't quite get. I keep wondering what I'm missing, or if I should just start collecting the free money.

Speaking as a poker player, I'd take 35% odds. I would peg it as an underlay to 42% or so, plus I personally feel he'll get someone through. 11 months is a long time for something as highly visible as a Supreme Court absence. Even if the media coverage is a blassé "nope still no Supreme Court justice," it still keeps the issue on the forefront of people's minds that, hey, why don't we have a Supreme Court justice yet?

I also think Obama's first nomination will fail no matter who it is, and he'll use that to put forth a second candidate without whatever vociferous objections they had during the first pick. Stonewalling that pick plus high visibility should finally get them to cave, idk, eight months from now? I'm pulling numbers out of my rear end here but they feel right! :mmmhmm:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilweasel posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if in a few years Obama gets bored and gets himself another Senate seat.

Wouldn't they still have to refer to him as "Mr. President?" That seems like it would get confusing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Darth123123 posted:

Should it really take 23 pages of posts to confirm a judge?

Look, the goon population has to have time to speak on this issue. Maybe if we wait 10, 11 pages and then start a thread with a new OP, we can revisit the issue then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

After review of the play, 4-4, ruling on the field stands

That call can't be challenged! :mad:

• Locked thread