Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I hope his mourners get over it. I mean, he was so old by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

StealthArcher posted:

Why the hell, as someone who never plays golf, did they care about this so much.

The guy who sued the PGA probably cared so much because it's a pretty big deal for professional golfers to be unable to compete in the PGA tour. The court cared because it's their job.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't think these are entirely comparable because the Supreme Court's most prominent role is to decide what are essentially issues of policy and legislation, so they can't just run on law and order, lock 'em up messages like trial judges. Anyway what I'd prefer would be to have an independent judicial commission appoint justices like they do in the UK, (where it hasn't produced an Orwellian nightmare like people seem to assume it would), but in the specific case of the Supreme Court I'd say that democratic input would be superior to the current system where the Court's composition is determined by partisan politics and happenstance.

The UK has parliamentary sovereignty and the judiciary can't strike down primary legislation. It's quite a bit easier to take politics out of judicial appointments when the political inclinations of justices are mostly inconsequential and they have much less to be accountable for.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

oswald ownenstein posted:

In fact there isn't actually a mandate for the number of justices anyway, is there?

The Supreme Court of the United States shall consist of a Chief Justice of the United States and eight associate justices, any six of whom shall constitute a quorum.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 17, 2016

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

VitalSigns posted:

I can't believe Republicans opened themselves up like this.

Now they're going to be caught between looking like loving idiots for stonewalling a judge they approved 97-0 or looking like loving idiots for walking back their promise to stonewall before even seeing the nominee.

Is this just a hail mary on the hope that a terrorist attack or economic crash puts a Republican in the white house? Or have they convinced themselves of alternate reality polls like they did in 2012?

Well there is a lot on the line for them, and looking dumb to people outside their stupid little bubble is probably more tolerable than being crucified by the bubble-dwellers for co-operating with Obama in any way.

• Locked thread