Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
scalia's death confirmed to be just so much applesauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Voyager I posted:

I think I'm almost happier about Scalia dying than Bin Laden.

bin ladin hurt way fewer people

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Also on the hopelessly naive side, realistically do conservatives believe they can appoint someone as far right or even as right as Scalia? Scalia for real believed and argued that the police should be allowed to break into gay people's homes and arrest them for having sex and that innocence wasn't a sufficient argument against the death penalty

There is a very real chance that Democrats take control of the Senate and presidency in January and appoint someone far more left than Obama would realistically nominate right now and very little chance that they could appoint someone even with winning the presidency and retaining the Senate that wouldn't be left of Scalia at least on social issues.

if youre a rep in congress who's up for reelection then you dont wanna compromise cause you'll get smashed in primaries. i could maybe see a confirmation later on after theyre not at risk anymore but at that point why not just wait a few weeks longer and see what happens

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well technically, there is no set number of justices. Nine is just convention because they need an odd number to break ties.

fdr learned that you are wrong the hard way

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Three Olives posted:

By a few weeks do you mean 10 months because Obama is probably going to nominate someone within a week or two if for no other reason but to troll Republicans on the fact that they won't hold a hearing for one of the most important positions in the country for completely incoherent reasons headed into the election.

i mean that there's absolutely no chance of appointing one until after the primaries are through and none of the republicans have anything to worry about on that front. but at that point why do it at all? trump could win!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Crabtree posted:

Obama should have practiced archery like the English kings the founding fathers separated themselves from would have wanted! :what: What the gently caress is any of that paragraph trying to talk about and why was he saying riding in a golf cart is protected or legally golf?

it was a disability lawsuit. under the ADA it's ok to restrict access or remove people if their disability or whatever literally prevents them from doing the job, and the guy in question had trouble walking but could still stand up and swing the club, so he argued that he could play golf at the same level as everyone else. the pga at the time required that you had to walk between shots and so he sued them to make them let him ride a golf cart instead. so SCOTUS basically had to rule on whether or not walking your shots is fundamentally part of golf.

the supreme court basically decided that you don't have to walk around in order to play golf, that the important part is being able to hit the ball and so the pga would have to provide him with handicap access. now you know.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

basically, the NBA can keep people who play wheelchair basketball out because it makes the game fundamentally a different sport, but the PGA has to let dudes get around however they want because it doesn't have anything to do with how good at golf you are.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

I don't think the senate Republicans will be able to stall out for that long. The pressure to "do their jobs" and least go through the motions with Obama's nominee will be high. I think the plan will be to stall for a while, then drag out the hearings, and then reject the candidate, probably with a filibuster occurring in there somewhere (I'm guessing Cruz). How reasonable they appear during this whole process will depend on who Obama nominates. Alternatively they might strike a deal with him, appointing his nominee in exchange for some concession.

oh you sweet summer child

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It also makes decisions against businesses almost impossible since somebody gave money to the judge and it's probably not you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What's great about Scalia dying is that the need to nominate a replacement Supreme Court justice is putting Republican obstructionism in such naked, plain view that even Truth Is In The Middle journalism can't disguise it and how only now it's dawning on a few Republicans that "hey wait a second, maybe our immediate reflex to block Obama on doing literally anything is kind of a bad look for us...".

It's okay when it's business as usual where nobody in the general public is paying attention to the day-to-day business of government while you feed news of obstructionist victories to the Base, but not so much when attention is at an all-time high even more so than during a government shut-down.

Tea Party rancor from the base and conservative groups will force Republican senators between a rock and a hard place of whether to confirm nomination or not. Support an Obama nominee and get primaried out as a RINO traitor or obstruct his nomination for the next ten months to make it blindingly obvious in an election year that Republicans are the ones wrecking the government and provoking a constitutional crisis in refusing to perform the duties of government.

The schadenfreude is delicious. :getin:

nobody is going to care about this who wasn't already going to vote against the republicans

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pillow Hat posted:

Counterpoint: Any moderate who is considering voting for the GOP will be turned off by this.

moderates don't really exist

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd be so happy if arbitration was ruled illegal. I'd be amazed if it wouldn't be upheld as legal by a majority of the SCOTUS, but it's a loving abomination that exists solely to ensure people can be denied their rights by a pro-corporate system. Undo the god awful class action lawsuit ruling as well and put some goddamn fear back in to corporations that screw around.

The Dems winning this fight heavily depends upon keeping it in the media spotlight and not having a bunch of Truth Is In The Middle bullshit. The GOP should be hammered on this but I'm not holding my breath. The difference between Kennedy and this vacancy is minor at best the GOP should be bludgeoned with it.

remember when the liberal wing ruled for city of new london

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Radish posted:

Scalia strikes me as the kind of tool that does the vampire cabal's bidding and then when he asks for his eternal reward they drain him because it's funny.

is that why we never see thomas in the sunlight

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Could someone sue the Senate for not living up to their constitutional responsibility to provide advice and consent, since they have outright stated that not only will they not confirm a nominee, they won't even consider having a hearing for one?

Could such a case end up in front of the Supreme Court?

Why would you even think that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

Texas is the only state to worry about, and the fact that CA not only equals them in bases but also produces the vast majority of military air craft means that while they have more firepower, the rest of the US that won't rebel has way more than they do.

the California that passed prop 8 and elected ahhhnold

• Locked thread