Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not gonna lie. Seeing the tweets from GOP politicians calling him a great constitutional scholar (when it helped his personal political views) and the best SCOTUS Justice are making me feel a lot less bad about feeling happy when I heard he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fix posted:

When I read Scalia died I announced it to an American history teacher who happened to be sitting in my kitchen at the time and she said "who?"

Well I bet she knows Scalia now that he's history.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can't fully trust someone that considers Scalia a friend

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think that sort of person would be more suffer-able if he wasn't personally able to make his lovely repressive views the law of the country and went out of his way to do it.

Like if my friend was doing his best to keep gay people marginalized, restrict voting rights for minorities, hamper attempts to keep the world habitable for our children, make sure money in politics is equivalent to free speech, confuse religious freedom with women getting birth control from the insurance they receive as payment for their labor, etc at work I don't think I would be able to think what an awesome guy he was off the clock because we are both into opera.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 15, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You can say pretty much the same thing about any horrible, yet competent person. I'm not sure why some people want to keep pointing out that Scalia was good at being so awful like it's some kind of positive quality and we are losing anything of real substance (beyond legal navel gazing) with his removal from the bench.

Like if we get more rights for minorities, no union busting, and cleaner air but it's at the cost of his brilliant legal prose and assholish yet sick burns at people he considers idiots in his dissents I think we don't have to really act that it's such a terrible thing.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 17, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah someone put into the position as powerful as a SCOTUS justice three decades ago by a guy elected five Presidents ago is kinda ridiculous because the politics of the country shift and while direct election of justices is a terrible idea people should have some agency in that. I think the 18 year plan is fine especially if the senate is forced to vote on the appointment. You are always going to run the risk of a person dying in office but I think there should be some limit other than the person kicking the bucket or deciding they can step down safely.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can totally understand people that shared his ideology being sad about his departure. I however don't think he deserves any respect from anyone else based on the quality of his work.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To me being really skilled and using that ability to make people's lives worse or indirectly let them be killed is a bad thing and not something worth respect but that's up to our own individual interpretations of the man.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In one hundred years he will return if you sacrifice a legal aide and pour the blood onto his corpse at the time of the Harvard/Yale football game.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Scalia strikes me as the kind of tool that does the vampire cabal's bidding and then when he asks for his eternal reward they drain him because it's funny.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Despite his fake Onion Diamond Joe persona and goofy creeper uncle photos, Joe Biden has a lot of bad opinions.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tricked again!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oracle posted:

American pope

That's an interesting and somewhat educating typo.

I know that not calling on people making outrageous lies is the new normal for our gutless media but really more people have to point out that we already had the American people decide when Obama was elected for four years and not three.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I mean if you are arguing for letting Scalia vote from beyond the grave then why not just cut out the middle man and do what you think Marbury would want.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Well couldn't you just sneak in there and unplug the machine from the wall or do they have battery backup?

I'm not asking because I believe it happened but these Scalia murder conspiracies are hilarious and I want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

vyelkin posted:

I've got a radical conspiracy theory for you guys: perhaps this 79 year old overweight man who smoked and had sleep apnea could conceivably have died of natural causes? After all, Scalia could have forgotten to take his daily dose of super secret magic potion that makes conservatives immune to natural deaths.

but that's no fun.

• Locked thread