Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Defenestration posted:

was Scalia the one that had the quote about just because this guy didn't do the crime doesn't mean that he wasn't sentenced appropriately by the law?

The quote you usually hear is a false attribution, but it is a fair description of his jurisprudence.

Or at least, was. G'bye, Tony!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I think the next few months are going to do more to bury the idea of an aloof, apolitical Court than Bush v. Gore.

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, I feel bad for his family and loved ones but at the same time I just can't feel very sad. I guess that makes me a lovely person but oh well.

Nothing wrong with feeling relief that someone's death has alleviated suffering. It just wasn't him that was suffering.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Didn't see this mentioned: Scotusblog has posted the statements from the other justices.
http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/02/statements-from-supreme-court-justices/

RBG posted:

Toward the end of the opera Scalia/Ginsburg, tenor Scalia and soprano Ginsburg sing a duet: “We are different, we are one,” different in our interpretation of written texts, one in our reverence for the Constitution and the institution we serve. From our years together at the D.C. Circuit, we were best buddies. We disagreed now and then, but when I wrote for the Court and received a Scalia dissent, the opinion ultimately released was notably better than my initial circulation. Justice Scalia nailed all the weak spots—the “applesauce” and “argle bargle”—and gave me just what I needed to strengthen the majority opinion. He was a jurist of captivating brilliance and wit, with a rare talent to make even the most sober judge laugh. The press referred to his “energetic fervor,” “astringent intellect,” “peppery prose,” “acumen,” and “affability,” all apt descriptions. He was eminently quotable, his pungent opinions so clearly stated that his words never slipped from the reader’s grasp.

Justice Scalia once described as the peak of his days on the bench an evening at the Opera Ball when he joined two Washington National Opera tenors at the piano for a medley of songs. He called it the famous Three Tenors performance. He was, indeed, a magnificent performer. It was my great good fortune to have known him as working colleague and treasured friend.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

Predictit is still giving odds of about 35%-40% Obama gets someone confirmed, which I don't quite get. I keep wondering what I'm missing, or if I should just start collecting the free money.

Seems like a lot of people default to two in five or one in three when there's not an objective measure available.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

euphronius posted:

Which is stupid. It should the absence of evidence is not proof of absence.

It makes sense in the context that Sagan said it. (critiquing the statement)

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 26, 2016

• Locked thread