Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
I have no shame about feeling happy this day. Scalia was on vacation, presumably with friends and family, when he died peacefully at the end of a long life. That's pretty much the best death you can hope for as a human.

Plus, he's a poo poo stain on the pages of humanity, and the world is a better place without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Fateo McMurray posted:

I like how they knew something was up when he missed breakfast.

"Woah, Scalia skipped waffles? Call 911"

:cawg:

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

From Reddit:

quote:

For people who are asking, it seems unlikely the Republicans can block an Obama appointment. The longest nomination for a supreme court justice ever was Clarence Thomas, who took 107 days to confirm. The average is 73 days.

Thomas' confirmation was slowed by allegations of sexual impropriety by Anita Hill, and his still only took 107 days. Obama has a short list of nominees already and they will be well vetted. No way this drags past the election.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

biznatchio posted:

That's misleading. The longest deliberation process for a nominee was 107 days, but the longest vacancy on the court was 27 months, when Congress kept rejecting President John Tyler's nominees. A deliberation process ends when Congress votes and says no.

foot posted:

It was 229 days from when Powell retired until Kennedy was confirmed.

Interesting. I'm certainly no legal historian. Just parroting what I saw. What you've said makes sense.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MicheleBachmann/status/698642572575518720

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

squidgee posted:

We sure are:

WASHINGTON, Feb 13 (Reuters) - Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Saturday that the next U.S. president should be the one to nominate a justice to fill the vacancy left on the Supreme Court by the death of Antonin Scalia.

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president," McConnell said in a statement.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/13/reuters-america-us-senate-leader-mcconnell-says-wait-on-replacing-scalia.html

What a gently caress. The entire point of appointing justices is that they are somewhat insulated from popular opinion.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Just want to point out that this guy was morbidly obese and he lived to 79. He died on vacation with friends. It's the best ending he could have hoped for.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

But guys the Supreme Court justices in Alabama are elected. Alabama! That state that other states look to as a beacon of hope and progress!

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

euphronius posted:

Yeah they are already backtracking a bit.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not doubting you, just curious about where you read/saw this.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I have it on good authority that it wasn't the coward Barack Obama who had Scalia assassinated. God had him killed so that Ted Cruz could rise to presidency.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/politics/glenn-beck-god-killed-scalia-so-cruz-could-win/

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

nobody is going to care about this who wasn't already going to vote against the republicans

Counterpoint: Any moderate who is considering voting for the GOP will be turned off by this.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What are the realistic chances Obama is nominated in the future, supposing that a Democrat is in the White House?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

evilweasel posted:

Plus he may not even be interested.

I wondered about this.

Edit: I mean I think he would find the work enjoyable, but I guess the question is if he wants to be that busy and under stress. Perhaps I'm stating the obvious.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I would love to read his opinions, though. Especially since he wouldn't be under any pressure to be particularly diplomatic.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

As great of a troll as it would be to put Obama in one of the highest offices of power in government permanently, I wouldn't wish that on the poor guy, he deserves a much needed vacation from DC

That's true, but it's not as if he'd really be subject to the same types of daily stress as he currently endures. Not to say that being a SC justice is low-pressure, but it's certainly more relaxed than being POTUS, and he doesn't really have to be in the spotlight. Plus he doesn't really have to gently caress around with partisan politics and bargaining with Congressional fuckwits.

Mostly I just want him to be a justice in my dream world.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Who do you all think would be a good SC justice? By that I mean:

1. Someone who could reasonably be confirmed by Senate in an alternate universe where they take the responsibility seriously and don't throw a toddler poo poo fit just because.
2. Someone who is qualified.
3. Someone whom the president might reasonably nominate given the same theoretical conditions as in 1.

I've heard Loretta Lynch's name thrown around which at first sounded great to me (someone not in the legal profession who doesn't closely follow the minutiae of this), although it was later pointed out to me that she has some pretty disagreeable opinions on civil forfeiture and drug prosecution.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

computer parts posted:

She's qualified regardless of those opinions.

Didn't say she wasn't qualified, just saying civil forfeiture is some bullshit.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

His family declined autopsy, so I mean who's to say? Might just be a decoy corpse. But to what end, I wonder?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

This makes good sense.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Doesn't sound as good.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

mdemone posted:

I just want to say that every couple days this thread reminds me that Antonin Scalia is rotting in the ground like the garbage he was, and it fills me with joy every time I think about it. I wish I could summon a bit of HST's talent from his Nixon obit to fully express my feelings on this matter.

Burn in hell, Nino. As far as I'm concerned you got off lucky because there isn't one.

This and also I imagine the story being told by oral history in the wild wild west because of the marvelous thread title.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

spoon0042 posted:

Latest :tinfoil:-bait news is Scalia had sleep apnea and his CPAP was found unplugged.

Yes I'm sure someone was able to get the CPAP mask off his face while he slept without making him.

Some people will just believe anything.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Radish posted:

Well couldn't you just sneak in there and unplug the machine from the wall or do they have battery backup?

I'm not asking because I believe it happened but these Scalia murder conspiracies are hilarious and I want more.

Yes, but the way the article I read was written, it sounded like the machine had not been used at all. That it was just sitting unplugged and unused on the side table.

Either way, unplugging a CPAP would be a pretty impotent strategy to kill someone.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Another thing I heard conspiracists say is that the autopsy couldn't find Scalia's heart.

That's loving hilarious. Like maybe it was hidden somewhere.

Autopsy report: "Unable to locate patient's heart. I extensively searched the peritoneum and mediastinum for potential ectopic placement, but could not locate the organ. Perhaps a more thorough dissection will reveal it to be in an extremity or even the cranial vault."

Alternate joke: Why is that surprising? We all knew he was heartless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wow, it's almost like :thejoke:

:cripes:

In my defense, Poe's law.

• Locked thread