Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ask the genie to have Galactus devour the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I think that's the backstory of warhammer 40k. Golden Throne is actually a big crapper that feeds you vindaloo. Astronomicon is psychic fart cloud visible from space.

makes sense, all the psykers they "sacrifice" for the golden throne are just meat

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What happens if I ask the genie to poz my neg hole?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All the electrons are removed from your anal sphincter leaving only nucleons and it explodes with enough force to take out half the block.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I wish he would be a nice genie instead that would be willing, able, and capable with regards to fulfilling all of my wishes including this one, regardless of any other hurdles normally applied that would cause my wish or intent to go awry from what I wanted.

e: Can't forget to follow with a wish that no genie would be able to hurt, kill, or destroy me or mess with any of my wishes including this one and the previous in any way, shape, or form, including the use of proxy actors, the next being that I instantly get access to as many other wishes I need to make to guarantee I'll be able to do everything I'm interested in doing with this power, and one more that the genie will be willing, able, and capable with regards to informing me of anything I else I forget to add either to make my intent in future wishes clearer or to protect myself from common wishing pitfalls.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 15, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I wish to be a powerful and amoral demon.

There - genie gets to be malicious and I get super powers. Everyone is happy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DrSunshine posted:

Another way to phrase this problem could've been "How would we control a superintelligent AI?" since in both cases we're dealing with an entity that's capable of immense power, but prone to executing our instructions in ways that might not be desirable to us.

You pull the plug, duh.

I don't think genies run on electricity though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
According to the Qur'an, the jinn are made of a smokeless flame and scorching fire, so they probably run on propane or natural gas.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Keshik posted:

i'd wish for all the powers normally attributed to Superman, with none of the vulnerabilities

i'd wish for unlimited and unfettered access to free vindaloo and free tacos that extend my lifespan by rejuvenating my youth

and finally i'd wish for the smell and sound of my farts to make human women fall head-over-heels in love with me

praise be to the fartking of earth, they'd say

Humanity being what it is, the nations of the earth would be filled with horror at the prospect of a powerful person they could not control. Your every move would be scrutinized by the media for any sign or interpretation of what you would do next. Any action you take against one of the powers that be, no matter how benign, like say stopping an errent US drone missile from hitting a wedding, would cause chaos and consternation. The government would try to kill or co-opt you. Expect your family to be taken hostage and tortured.

Also expect to be declared a rapist with the fart thing.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 15, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I wish to be a powerful and amoral demon.

There - genie gets to be malicious and I get super powers. Everyone is happy.

You never said anything about staying on Earth. Turns out that 'powerful' is a relative term and you were only thinking compared to other humans when you should have been thinking compared to other demons in Hell. Hope you like running errands or similar scuttling about for eternity where most everyone else can still kick your rear end!

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Infinite Karma posted:

After using the benevolent kitchen sink's wishes to get everything I wanted, including getting rid of all the malicious wish-granters, what's to stop me from wishing for the sink's destruction? Or wishing that it can no longer grant wishes?

Hell, benevolent wishes could include time travel. "Good" immortality. Veto power over other wishes (sorry nihilist hobo/archeologist). As long as the kitchen sink is powerful enough to grant any wish, it kind of doesn't matter what the malicious genie did, the sink can fix it.

Point conceded. The sink wins. However it's still a pretty easy thing for someone to discover/use. I would also wish that it would only work for yourself, lest a nosy servant of aforementioned godking find that his powers come from a specific source.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
"Genie, why are you malicious?"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I believe I've thought of a good one.

"Grant me the wish that I would wish for if I was infinitely clever, wise, knowledgeable and compassionate."

This works, I think, because it offloads the responsibility for formulating a perfect wish onto that perfect person. It's still a wish that benefits me because I am stipulating that that person is me. However, it's just a version of me that had infinite time to formulate a truly impregnable, perfect wish. Although it takes direct control of the wish out of my hands, it should ensure that whatever that wish is, it would be perfectly suited for giving me the maximum happiness, since that perfect person would know exactly what to wish for.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Your infinitely clever, wise, knowledgeable, and compassionate self realizes that life is a never ending heaving heap of violence, parasitism, birth, death, and suffering with no hope for redemption and, like Zapffe's Last Messiah, wishes that it had all been prevented from ever existing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If that is truly so then it must be the wish that creates the most happiness for me, and I should be happy to get it, because clearly my most perfect self knows what's best for me. :colbert:

EDIT: Actually that is logically impossible, since if I had never existed then the net happiness created for me is zero. If the most perfect me is rationally maximizing my happiness function then I must exist in order for that to happen.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 15, 2016

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If the genie is really good at his job, that wish might be "no wish". Any wish the genie grants could be a net negative, but your life might still be worth something without wishes.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DrSunshine posted:

"Grant me the wish that I would wish for if I was infinitely clever, wise, knowledgeable and compassionate."

This works, I think, because it offloads the responsibility for formulating a perfect wish onto that perfect person. It's still a wish that benefits me because I am stipulating that that person is me. However, it's just a version of me that had infinite time to formulate a truly impregnable, perfect wish. Although it takes direct control of the wish out of my hands, it should ensure that whatever that wish is, it would be perfectly suited for giving me the maximum happiness, since that perfect person would know exactly what to wish for.

You wish God into existence and it's you. The being is orders of magnitude beyond what you were when you made the wish and you essentially cease to exist. Absolutely nothing changes because the universe is exactly the way you made it already. Evil genies and all.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How about "I wish to inherit some money"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

How about "I wish to inherit some money"

You just killed a family member.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I wish Donald Trump starts a band where he is lead singer/keytarist.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

DrSunshine posted:

That's a good solution but you want to put it as that idealized version of yourself as interested in your happiness. What they might wish for for themselves might not be what's best for you. For instance, if you asked your ideal self how they might go about doing something, you might get advice that you're incapable of executing or even understanding. Or, in this case, this person may want some good that they can't otherwise get, but which is useless to yourself. Wish for the thing that your idealized self would wish for you, the non-ideal person.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You just killed a family member.

But what if you already killed all of them yourself?

Take that, genie.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

But what if you already killed all of them yourself?

Take that, genie.

You are now a quadriplegic. The estate of the person who died after crashing into you had a very generous provision for this sort of thing.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

Another way to phrase this problem could've been "How would we control a superintelligent AI?" since in both cases we're dealing with an entity that's capable of immense power, but prone to executing our instructions in ways that might not be desirable to us.

I don't know, it worked out pretty well in the movie.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 19, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"Bring back LF."
"That is beyond my powers."

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I wish every human being who currently owns financial assets or property with a combined value of more than five million United States dollars at the current market value immediately bursts into flame and dies a horrible screaming death.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Don't you just need to add "and ensure that at all points in the future I remain satisfied with my wish (and don't change what constitutes 'what I am satisfied with')" to the wish? That way you're guaranteed to never be disappointed by the wish.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

DrSunshine posted:

That reminds me:
"I want you to destroy the MIRI/"Bayesian rationalist"/"Dark Enlightenment" movement, with all its members suffering immensely and becoming laughing stocks before dying, with their ideas and scams never again being taken up in the course of history"

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Double the gravitational constant.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Nessus posted:

Happiness for everyone without condition, and may nobody be left behind.

Everyone is now completely happy because they're too retarded to know any better.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I wish every human being who currently owns financial assets or property with a combined value of more than five million United States dollars at the current market value immediately bursts into flame and dies a horrible screaming death.

A flaming Ferrari veers uncontrollably into your house, exploding on impact and burning the house and it's contents to the ground.

Fried Chicken posted:

That reminds me:
"I want you to destroy the MIRI/"Bayesian rationalist"/"Dark Enlightenment" movement, with all its members suffering immensely and becoming laughing stocks before dying, with their ideas and scams never again being taken up in the course of history"

The man that would have invented a vaccine for the std that will one day ravage and destroy your genitals is having a rough adolescence.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 21, 2016

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Fried Chicken posted:

That reminds me:

Yudkowsky already cries himself to sleep every night because he's convinced the real reason he's such a lame o is that the real Yud in the real world didn't donate enough money to MIRI and the robot devil is torturing our world's version in AI hell forever.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Don't you just need to add "and ensure that at all points in the future I remain satisfied with my wish (and don't change what constitutes 'what I am satisfied with')" to the wish? That way you're guaranteed to never be disappointed by the wish.

That only works as long as 'you' exist and 'what I'm satisfied with' doesn't change at all for any reason though. Hence you might get a forever groundhog moment where time as we know it just stops because neither you nor the universe are allowed to change, or you might die immediately and your wish gets corrupted right afterwards.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'd wish for fewer wishes.

I bet nobody's tried that before. Freaking djinni would never see it coming.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
1. I wish everyone in the world would think I'm, at least, p. cool. Like they don't want to emulate me or anything but they're like, "Oh man that guy is alright wouldn't mind having a drink with him some time"

2. When I create something that I intend to sell everyone thinks it's, at least, p. cool. Like they don't riot to buy it or anything but at minimum people would think "oh man I might buy that when it's on sale"

3. Give Ron Paul superman powers and immortality

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Why are genies such assholes? I let you out of that lamp the least you could do is just fly off without killing me or giving me an ironically terrible punishment for my random act.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
hey

how you doin?

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

I wish I were an inch taller

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I wish to substitute our reality with Obama vs the Pirates of Wichita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Celot posted:

I wish I were an inch taller

Your vertebrae are now painfully dislocated.

• Locked thread