Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'd wish for the genie to be benevolent towards human life rather than malicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Unburdened by human survival instinct and emotions the genie decides that the nicest thing he can do for humans is to erase them from existence.

If we have a genie that has just decided that words don't mean anything, then yeah sure. It's Wishmaster 3 levels of wish interpretation though.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

It makes assumptions about what a genie would consider benevolent. Views on morality differ wildly between humans, who knows what a mystical genie would consider good and kind? Maybe it's got an honour based code of morality and kills a bunch of people to preserve their honour. What if it's a nihilist and thinks that whether or not life exists at all doesn't matter and sterilizes the universe to end the inevitability of suffering?

Well if I have to define morality for the loving thing then I'm just going to wish that it not exist.

Unburdened by human survival instinct and emotions the genie decides that the nicest thing he can do for humans is to erase them from existence.

And another thing, my wish was for the genie to be benevolent, not free of its lamp and able to do whatever the gently caress it wants.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Besides everyone knows djinn are Muslim.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
"I wish that you are incapable of lying"

" I wish that you would say the following exact words: 'This statement is false.'"

I don't think anything good would come of it, I just wanna see what would happen.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DrSunshine posted:

I'm not sure it would even do anything. Like, the genie might just utter sounds resembling the words "This", "statement", "is", and "false", separated by 0.1 second gaps, without actually meaning "this statement is false".

again, if the genie can just make up bullshit then it doesn't matter what you wish because he's just going to do whatever he wants and then turn around and say "oh the words you said can also mean this on certain days in the Horsehead nebula, so sorry for the confusion", rendering the whole exercise pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

*PUNCH* posted:

I wish for the best hat.

The catholic church becomes extraordinarily upset at you for stealing the Pope's hat.

• Locked thread