Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DrSunshine posted:

Waiiiit! Before you hit "reply" to answer with a sarcastic quip, give it a moment to think. It's actually kind of a fun thing to ponder if you're nerdy and have your head in the clouds all the time like me.

Let's assume we are confronted by a malicious genie, demonic being, or some sort of Monkey's Paw. You get one wish. The problem is that the wish-granter will always do its level best to take your wish as literally as possible, and to enact your wish in a way such as to cause you harm or misfortune.

What would you wish for, and how would you frame your wish in a way such that it could not be misinterpreted?

I submit that I would say something like "I wish that you would give me infinite wishes interpreting them in a way in accordance to my intention rather than maliciously." Would this work? What do you think?

I'd wish for the genie to spend his time inconveniencing all the rich people -- the richest they are, the more inconvenience they have to suffer, and no one can be inconvenienced as long as a richer person exists that has not been already inconvenienced.

I figure if the genie is malicious and wants to inconvenience me, at least he'll have to first make me rich in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread