Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Don't you just need to add "and ensure that at all points in the future I remain satisfied with my wish (and don't change what constitutes 'what I am satisfied with')" to the wish? That way you're guaranteed to never be disappointed by the wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That only works as long as 'you' exist and 'what I'm satisfied with' doesn't change at all for any reason though. Hence you might get a forever groundhog moment where time as we know it just stops because neither you nor the universe are allowed to change, or you might die immediately and your wish gets corrupted right afterwards.

That's a good point, so in that case I should instead say "Ensure that, given a full understanding of the ultimate results of the wish and its consequences, I would be happy as I am at present (so the wish can't change "what makes me happy" to "killing a million people" or something)."

I can't really think of how that could go wrong. If I knew that there would be undesirable results at some point (including "me being unhappy about the wish in the future", since that would be one of the consequences of the wish), I wouldn't be happy with the outcome of the wish. And the wish can't change what I would be satisfied with since I'm specifying that it must be me as I am at present (if it changed how I felt it would no longer be "me as I am at present). It can't do something like freeze time, since I would obviously not be think positively of such an outcome.

Celot posted:

I think that the legalistic wishes are actually multiple wishes, because they have "and" in them.

Ah, this is an interesting limitation to impose.

• Locked thread