Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevewm
May 10, 2005
IMO the Neato BotVac series is the better buy.. Cheaper, they all can do multiple rooms, they all use LiDAR to get around, they all auto return to the base, will resume a previous job if the battery dies, etc..

I have a BotVac 70e https://www.neatorobotics.com/robot-vacuum/botvac/, (the only difference between the various BotVac models is the included accessories and the LiDAR cover color!, It was cheaper at the time to buy the low end model and buy the upgraded accessories separately.) Paid $330 for it new on Amazon about 9 months ago.

Like all Neato bots it primarily uses LiDAR, along with IR wall sensing/edge detection and bump switches to get around. It will go around the perimeter edge of a area first and then do a back and forth pattern in the middle area. If it runs into something like a table leg, it will circle around it usually twice while hugging right up against it before moving on.

I have a ~1,000 Sq.Ft house that is about 50/50 carpet/laminate floors. The BotVac will do the entire house on a single charge and takes just under an hour to do so. If it does run low on charge it will return to the dock, charge, and then go back to where it left off and finish the job. I have it scheduled to run 3 times a week. All told, I'm happy with it. I do still occasionally run the regular vacuum, but the house stays overall cleaner with the BotVac running throughout the week.

The older VX series had problems with the LiDAR units wearing out since they used contact brushes to conduct power and data to the spinning portion of the LiDAR scanner; once the brushes wore out, it started having problems. The BotVac and later models use inductive power transfer and optical data transfer to solve this problem.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Darkpriest667 posted:

I thought about getting the neato but I read many reports that it was aggressive about trying to go over things instead of bumping and turning it would try to run over things that the LIDAR didn't detect.

The vac does have a fairly aggressive climb, but it needs it to make transitions between some floor types as these can be quite high. Some small objects are likely to be run over like cat toys or plastic soda bottle caps, though this isn't any different from any other vacuum. The only issue I had with the climb was my front door. There is a fairly large and steep gap between my main door and screen door. If the main door is open, the vac will usually climb up into this gap. It realizes though and backs out after a second or two. To stop this from happening I laid down a small strip of the magnetic barrier tape. The vac treats these strips as a wall and will not go past them.

I have a fairly high transition between my kitchen laminate and the carpeted hallway of about 1/4". Seeing the design of a Roomba, I'm not sure it would be able to climb over this.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hed posted:

Are the boundary things for the neato required? Is it going to fall down a stairwell or crash into my sunken living room if I don't demarc it?

It has down firing IR edge sensors across he front. It will not go over large edges such as steps. The magnetic barrier tape is only needed if you have an area where you don't want the vacuum to go.

• Locked thread