Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Welcome to the Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 Let’s Play! The world of Final Fantasy 7 has spewed quite the load of garbage onto the world since it’s release. Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children, phone games you’ve never heard of because no one outside of Japan has every played them. Crisis Core has the high honor of being the tallest midget within this group. It’s actually not that bad. I genuinely enjoy playing it and on the whole it doesn’t really ruin the back story too much. I will apply that “too much” caveat because I assure you there is some dumb poo poo in our future.

Core gameplay is very similar to Kingdom Hearts. We have basic attacks, a few materia slots to put in abilities, and a slot machine that spits out occasional bonuses from Limit Breaks to level ups. It also has some very excellent new music and alternate takes on some FF7 classics. Also get used to Zack because he is the only character we will ever control.

Crisis Core is a prequel following Sir Five Minutes of Screen Time In FF7 Zack Fair. I will be writing this LP off the assumption you have played/read an LP of FF7. If you are currently ignorant of FF7 I recommend Elentor’s (as it is the only finished goon one, also it’s good).

On the note of spoilers: Go hog wild talking about things in FF7 if it pertains to where the LP is. But remember this is a Crisis Core thread, not an FF7 thread. The thread for Elentor’s is actually still active despite the game being done and there is an FF Megathread floating in games if you really need to talk about it beyond what is currently going on in the LP.

This does not give you free reign to talk about Crisis Core spoilers. Don’t talk about them untagged and keep use of spoiler tags to a minimum. Also, if an event is in both Crisis Core and FF7 don’t talk about it. Things get weird enough in Crisis Core that it may not have happened how you think it did!

Nashun fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 01: This LP Can't Go Anywhere But Where It's Tracks Lead it
Chapter 02: There Won't Be Any Descendants of These Shinobi
Chapter 03: Leviathan's Wake
Chapter 04: Mark of a Traitor
Chapter 05: Fangirls
Chapter 06: Burdens
Chapter 07: Words Without Meaning
Chapter 08: SCIENCE!
Chapter 09: Can Love Bloom on the Battlefield?
Chapter 10: This Guy Are Sick
Chapter 11: Back Then You Could Get By With Just Skinned Knees
Chapter 12: If You Open Your Heart
Chapter 13: They've Got a Gundam Down Here
Chapter 14: Classified Ads
Chapter 15: Further Adventures in Part Time Jobs
Chapter 16: Tinker, Tailor, SOLDIER, Spy
Chapter 17: Ballad of the Fallen Angels
Chapter 18: Dreams and Honor
Chapter 19: Life's a Beach
Chapter 19.5: Limit Break Catchup
Chapter 20: Running Man
Chapter 21: Scavenger Hunt
Chapter 22: Building Relationships
Chapter 23: Echoes
Chapter 24: Distant Truths
Chapter 25: Reunion

Nashun fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 8, 2016

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 1: This LP Can’t Go Anywhere But Where Its Tracks Lead It

Click To Watch(Highly recommended, it is ridiculously action packed)

Music: Mission Start

Welcome to Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7. You may be feeling that you’ve been here before. What with the sweeping zoom out and almost the same music FF7 opened with.

Although we have some big differences. I actually love how much of Midgar is under construction here. Crisis Core starts something like 7 years before FF7 begins so the city is far from complete so.

I’m kind of bummed they didn’t give it a numbered FF style logo like 7’s Meteor.

Oh hey trains in an FF7 opening why I never.

Well ok this is certainly different. Right now Shinra and Wutai are still at war. Also Shinra’s trains have apparently never been secure.

Radio: The train is currently headed to Midgar Sector 8.

Oh what a decade of graphics can do from the ugly little box in FF7. Midgar is rocking not-Blackhawks apparently.

Radio: We are to proceed as scheduled. Commence mission in 3. 2. 1. Mark. Begin Mission. Operative is ready for insertion.

???: Get Serious!

It’s funny to think about it because it got pretty crazy, but FF7 was so much lower key than anything else associated with it. Sure, Cloud was a badass, but he only jumped from a bridge onto a moving train, not a helicopter! This will not be the last we see of one upmanship. Oh not even a little.

???: Zack!

Mystery man with a not-so mysterious sword shows Zack isn’t the only one capable of raining from the sky. The poor Buster Sword must really get passed around a bunch since apparently not even Zack was the original owner.

Zack! Focus.

Hm!

There may be no Shinra troops on the train, but there are a lot of somebodies very unhappy at our arrival.

Hello to you, too!

Come and get it!

Apparently SOLDIER training involves being able to deflect bullets as well as a Jedi master even as a 2nd Class.

Cutscene murder powers activate! It will take me at least 20 seconds to kill an equal number of guys when I get control in a minute.

My first thought it “Sucks to be those troops behind them” they are going to get knocked off the train at best and roasted by backblast at worst.

Zack saw the Matrix once though and just jumps up and defies all gravity.

Super Zack, AWAY!

SOLDIER 2nd Class Zack, on the Job!

And then to top it off lands perfectly between cars to cut off the back part. I’m super jealous of Cutscene Zack. I’m not even allowed to jump in game.

Radio: Proceed to mission phase 2 and change surveillance rank.

Music: First Mission (from FFVII Opening ~ Bombing Mission)

The opposite way to look at this kind of excessive borrowing from FF7 is to compliment Hojo at how good he did transferring Zack’s personality onto Cloud. Not that Hojo was TRYING for that but it’s never stopped him from claiming success before.

Making progress, Zack?

What’s going on, Angeal? Why are we fighting Shinra troops.

They’re Wutai troops in disguise. Now, head to the open area above.

Towards Sector 8?

Yes. but first, you have to clear a path.

Clear a path?

You’ll see what I mean. Be careful.

One of many reasons I love Zack. He’s brash, full of himself, and all that. But somehow he’s likable through that. Dude doesn’t even care that he’s getting shot at by five soldiers.

Use SOME discretion.

It’s showtime!

[End Video]

Oh hey we finally get some gameplay here! So let’s take a look around at our screen here. Bottom left is good old stat bars. HP is life, MP is used for magical attacks, and new in Crisis Core AP is used for special physical attacks. Bottom right is just all our equipped commands.

Up top we have SP. For now we can basically kind of ignore it. Killing dudes adds to it, and that slot machine below takes 10 every time it spins. We don’t control when it spins so if we are a slow poke it can go down.

The Limit bar: Also largely out of our control. It has five levels going from Low to Heavenly. The higher it is the more likely we are to trigger a limit break. This is not really damage based at all like most FF games. Certain in game events can make it go up, some enemy attacks lower it, some other stuff makes it go up.

The three panels for portraits are our ~Digital Mind Wave~ slots. drat near everything besides attacks you do off your materia and basic attacks happens through here. Level ups, limit breaks, raising the level of materia. It’s pretty weird and some people hate it. It has both numbers and pictures of character we’ll meet as the game goes on. We’ll get into it more as it comes up.

For instance because I hit two 4’s on there I got a temporary buff of MP cost zero. If two of the three image panels matched(even if they are blacked out for now because we haven’t met the corresponding character yet) we’d have a chance to get a Limit Break.

I take advantage of my No MP to start chucking Firaga at these filthy Wutai infiltrators. They are woefully weak so getting close isn’t a danger at all but it does make it go faster.

We also are decked out with some sweet force lightning action through Thundaga.

We can even throw chunks of ice at people with Blizzaga but it only hits one target so screw that noise. Man are we loving decked out for the start of the game.

Our last skill is assault twister. Pretty much does what it says on the label. We also have a dodge roll and a guard. Guard is really, really good in this game. I will forget to use it frequently.

Piece of cake! I’ll make 1st in no time!

Go up the stairs at the end of the platform.

You got it!

Click to Watch A Boss(ish) Fight!

Music: The Summoned

Well, It HAS been 45 seconds since we had a call out shot.

Holy poo poo did things take a turn here. We shouldn’t be starting a game on a freaking Behemoth.

Behemoth is not actually that bad. What with him being the first “boss” of the game. He’s got buckets of HP compared to Wutai Shinra troops, but we have three -aga magics and some potions tucked away. His basic attacks hits you a few times with a slash.

Once again I was blessed by the RNG gods to have no MP cost so I try to keep my distance and chuck magic to see what sticks.

Note: I may be a little rusty on my dodge rolling. That tail swipe thwacks you a few times and knocks you on your rear end.

Thundaga is about 2/3s as effective as Firaga so that’s a bit of a no go.

Blizzard is by far the worst of the base elements. It has an animation after casting is done about a half hour long so your enemy will either A) interrupt you because you are too close B) move closer to attack you and dodge without even trying.

In the end I resort to stabbing him in the butt. Back attacks are guaranteed criticals and his attack that hits you back here is pretty middling on damage. So you can just keep maneuvering behind and rip chunks of HP off. The AI is kind of dumb most of the time.

I do eventually have to step off to chug a potion because I’m scrub tier at evading right now.

Fun fact: we have jack all control of the camera in battle. So sometimes you end up in some really stupid spot and have no idea what’s going on. Also targeting is wonky as gently caress and is about as random as the DMW wheel about who it decides to lock onto when there is a crowd of enemies. Basically the PSP is kind of lacking in shoulders/second analog and D-Pad doubles up as movement control as well.

And soon enough we have one dead Behemoth. :toot:

[End Video]

Click to Watch
I knew that was going too easy.

I think Zack took the words right out of my mouth. Seriously! We are, by my timestamps, about twelve minutes into the game and Sephiroth has already shown up.

Hmph!

With no other words Sephiroth just goes full on crazy town on Zack who can barely hold him back. Which is honestly kind of impressive in its own right.

It’s over.

Well there went a perfectly good sword. He didn’t just break it he MELTED it.

Impossible!

I really didn’t expect Zack to die this quick into the game.

Oh poo poo! Saved by the FMV zone. I’m actually kind of confused by this sequence. The graphics before this starts are kind of boiled over rear end compared to most of the game. Zack looks way better even a few minutes earlier talking on the phone to Mr. Buster Sword. Then half way through it just kicks over to FMV land.

Thanks, bro, for using the sword that already broke once to protect me. I mean, I appreciate the not being dead, but you have a perfectly fine Buster Sword on your back.

Thanks, Angeal.

Oh hey. Mr. Buster Sword has a name! It’s kind of dumb, but JRPG land so hardly new ground there.

Waaait a minute. Virtual Reality System? What kind of nonsense is this, Square?

So yeah the whole time we’ve just been using the Shin-Roculus Rift to train. I wonder what kind of system has it so it bugs out and releases murderous Sephiroths on those inside.

I’m also starting to think you just need to consider the FF7 universe to be in some sort of floating and/or non-linear time line. Tech is consistently higher in Crisis Core than it was in FF7 proper. I guess you can handwave it as Shinra was hoarding all the best for their own people but it’s still pretty silly.

Training’s over.

How come Zack has to wear a doofy headset and the other guy doesn’t have to. He clearly saw what was going on in there without one. Maybe he is just trolling the lower rank guy.

You serious? I was just getting warmed up!

Also how the hell did a virtual Masamune break an actual sword? Whatever is going on I blame Hojo. A VR machine that defeats the point by killing its occupants seems right up his alley. Funnily enough they are at least consistent on this point and it comes up at least once more.

Zack…Embrace your dreams.

Huh?

Zack is too shocked by these deep words to respond.

Nashun fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 17, 2016

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

First up: gently caress yeah, I owned this game and then promptly forgot about it until the UMD drive on my PSP broke. I can't wait to see what level of bananas this can go for.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the idea of the VR room is that Zack is training with his real weapon, and Sephiroth just crashed the training without a headset on. Zack wasn't in danger of dying due to VR, he was in danger of dying because Sephiroth actually strolled in and broke his real-rear end sword with a real-rear end Masamune. Nobody but Zack is wearing a headset.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I've been looking forward to this since the test post, glad it's up. This is just about the only SE game for PSP I don't own because I fell for internet backlash hyperbole about FF7 and now that I know better I've got other things to play, so it'll be good to finally see how this actually goes.

E: Oh by the way, you might want to drop a link here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
One of the greatest triumphs of this game (and this is saying a lot for a Final Fantasy game) is its character work. It basically made Zack my favorite FF protagonist ever, and it actually accomplished showing off Sephiroth as a normal, likable human being before well... Final Fantasy VII happened.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

nine-gear crow posted:

and it actually accomplished showing off Sephiroth as a normal, likable human being before well... Final Fantasy VII happened.

In some ways this is both the game's greatest strength and greatest weakness. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The Shinra Holodeck is so drat bizarre, but I gotta admit, something about the setting of FFVII lets me shrug off all that stuff. The tech gap between Midgar and the rest of the world is amazing so I guess there being a similar tech gap between Shinra's private labs and what they install in the city just didn't register.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

death .cab for qt posted:

First up: gently caress yeah, I owned this game and then promptly forgot about it until the UMD drive on my PSP broke. I can't wait to see what level of bananas this can go for.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the idea of the VR room is that Zack is training with his real weapon, and Sephiroth just crashed the training without a headset on. Zack wasn't in danger of dying due to VR, he was in danger of dying because Sephiroth actually strolled in and broke his real-rear end sword with a real-rear end Masamune. Nobody but Zack is wearing a headset.

But Sephiroth also disappeared when the VR aborted and he also wasn't in the room.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

But Sephiroth also disappeared when the VR aborted and he also wasn't in the room.

Wait

WHAT :stare:

e: I didn't pay attention at all to the video for the first post.

what the gently caress, crisis core

bawk fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 15, 2016

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Awesome! Never got to play this because I never had a psp so I 'm excited for this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That last cutscene felt weird. You could really tell that Zack and Angeal had recorded their lines separately because it didn't actually feel like they were talking to each other.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Why are the helghast in this game?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

Why are the helghast in this game?

Because Midgar is a baldness epidemic away from being Helghan, and the Shinra leadership cabinet is only slightly less dysfunctional and back-stab-happy than Visari's was.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

death .cab for qt posted:

Wait

WHAT :stare:

e: I didn't pay attention at all to the video for the first post.

what the gently caress, crisis core
I assumed Angeal threw Sephiroth in there to gently caress with Zack.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Was Shinra ever referred to as SREEC in any other game? If not, why does it have such goofy capitalisation on its signs?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That second E is actually a P (Shin-Ra Electric Power Company) and it's not a wholesale invention of CC. The Shin-Ra vs Shinra thing is a bit of a mess that I don't recall the particulars of.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

That second E is actually a P (Shin-Ra Electric Power Company) and it's not a wholesale invention of CC. The Shin-Ra vs Shinra thing is a bit of a mess that I don't recall the particulars of.

It's partly due to FFVII's original slapdash translation and the fact that the Shinra logo treats the Kanji for Shin and Ra as a compound word, hence "Shin-Ra". In all other instances its written and pronounced as "Shinra". And just going on the highlighted letters on the logo, its actual abbreviation appears to just be SEC (Shinra Electric (power) Company). They simply kept the logo for visual consistence.

Hopefully the remake cleans up a lot of the weirder baggage that's haunted FFVII for the better part of almost 20 years now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Weird, I was actually thinking of looking for an LP of this a couple of days ago.

It's been a long while since I played this, but from what I recall, the game has more than a few moments where it's clear whoever was in charge of a cutscene was more interested in making it look cool than making it make sense. That also applies to the FFVII EU as a whole, but that's neither here nor there.

Also hoping you don't break the game too hard. It's easy to be ridiculously overpowered within a couple of hours of starting the game. If the DMW system wasn't so random, it'd be even easier, but it doesn't make things too hard as it is.

Also, where did the war with Wutai even come from originally? I really don't remember that in FF7 at all.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Also, where did the war with Wutai even come from originally? I really don't remember that in FF7 at all.

IIRC, I think Aries when she was a baby and her real mother were at the train station in FF7 and Aries' adopted mother had lost a husband during that war who she kept waiting for. I think that was the war he was in. I seem to remember it from the game.

Good luck with the LP. I never got too far into this game, but it had great production values for a PSP title. I will look forward to seeing what I missed out on.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's also why the Junon Cannon exists, and the entire reason for Yuffie's character and sidequest.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I'm also a "never got around to playing this one" so in.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I remember this game fondly. It's pretty goofy in places and downright :doh: in others but I think overall it's a pretty fun game.

Having said that I've not played it since release so I'll be following the thread. First post was good and looking forward to more!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ah, hazing the new guy by making him fight a murderous VR of the strongest guy in SOLDIER. Classic ShinRa.

Why not just take the time to mention that the Wutai troops are in disguise so that Zack doesn't have to ask you later?

Also, the developers were too lazy to design models for the Wutai troops, weren't they? :v:

Looking forward to seeing more of this game. All I ever saw was the ending.

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011
Just chiming in to say that I look forward to seeing you go through this LP. I played this game once years ago but didn't finish- got right up to before that infamous scene before I stopped because life happened. I never could be bothered to go back to it, which is probably a shame but I still remember a good chunk of it.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, the developers were too lazy to design models for the Wutai troops, weren't they? :v:

SPOILERS for the first minute of a post 24H or so from now. Chapter 2 is in Wutai and they have actual models. This game is just weird. I can't even say Shinra is too cheap to install the Wutai model because there is a side quest that has you fighting some Wutai troops in there a few chapters in. I'm 99% sure it is "we want this to be just like FF7s opening, but we need an excuse for Zack to be murdering Shinra troops at the start of his story"

Also my goal is to be doing updates on Tuesdays and Fridays. We'll see how that holds up! But I at least have through most of chapter 5(By game reckoning, if not by what will be LP chapter 5)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
gently caress yeah this game is great. I probably put far too many hours into this game for what it is, but I kinda enjoy it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What nobody will admit to is that Sephiroth keeps crashing these VR training sessions because corporate won't spring for anything beyond the shareware version of Shin-Ra Professional Combat Simulator.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

What nobody will admit to is that Sephiroth keeps crashing these VR training sessions because corporate won't spring for anything beyond the shareware version of Shin-Ra Professional Combat Simulator.

Reminded me of an old Windows tank game called Combat Tanks that would spawn the "Death Chopper" in the shareware version: an indestructible helicopter that would hound you relentlessly until you died. So, I made this somewhat low-effort joke.

EDIT: Can't believe I misspelled "Sephiroth"

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 17, 2016

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
I just want you both to know I appreciate the original comment and the fact someone else stopped me from doing an image edit as it is truly the best explanation and I wish I'd thought of it.

Nashun fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 16, 2016

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 02: There Won't Be Any Descendants of These Shinobi

Are you fat? Lazy? Too cheap to buy expensive equipment? Now, with the new Shinra Power Electric SOLDIER(™) Exercise System(R) you can reach the peak performance of the Shinra’s elite troops! Introducing:

Squats!*

*The Shinra Power Electric Company cannot be held responsible for any injuries or cross-dressing embarrassment incurred while using the Shinra Power Electric Company SOLDIER(™) Exercise System(R).

So yeah. Apparently the Shinra army is a big fan no weight squats. Probably any schmuck in the Army could have competed fine in Big Bro’s challenge. Or maybe Big Bro used to be in the army before his...predilections made his fellow troops uncomfortable. Shinra doesn’t seem like a very open work environment if you don’t lean towards murderous and/or mad scientist.

Music: The Mako City

Can you blame me? All this training and no assignments. Like they’re hanging me out to dry. You must be pretty busy with everyone off base.

Off-base? Wait, haven’t you heard? There’s been a mass desertion at SOLDIER.

It appears of the 1sts deserted. He took a bunch of 2nds and 3rds with him, too. Nobody knows why he left, or what he’s up to. This mass desertion’s the reason why your training is on hold.

Zack, new assignment.

Woo! Finally! Some real action.

So yeah, at present Zack is the Raiden of Final Fantasy. He’s a second class SOLDIER but he’s never actually seen real combat. He’s got piles of VR experience but none of the real deal.

This will be your show.

Zack Status: loving PUMPED

Report to Director Lazard. We’ll give you the details.

You know, until I played this game I never really thought about how little impact SOLDIER has directly on FF7 outside of Cloud and Sephiroth. If I’m remembering right the only time you directly fight them is some random encounters in Shinra Tower(Edit: Also they are in Junon and the return to Midgar). There is never any mention of their leadership.

Click to Watch

Lazard, director of SOLDIER.

Heya.

Zack Fair, ever the professional.

On to business.

A month ago, he went missing during a mission in Wutai. Know anything about this?

The mission is currently stuck in limbo, that’s why we’ve decided to send you.

Uh, to Wutai.

Yes, Zack. Why would a special ops soldier ever get sent to the country you are actively at war with.

Yes. This war has gone on long enough.

I’ve recommended you for 1st.

Saying he is excited may be the understatement of the year.

Don’t make me regret this, Zack.

Sir!

Once you’re packed, you’ll leave at once.

Uh, guys. Do I get a mission briefing at all. I mean, Wutai is presumably a big place outside of the three screens we visit in FF7. Where or what we are doing MIGHT be helpful. Answer to this pressing question: No!

[End Video]

Our good buddy Kunsel is here to tell us tutorial poo poo for now. Later on he’ll send us random Shinra gossip that is always presciently related to whatever task we are doing at the time no matter how secret it is. For now he’ll send us some email with a bunch of--

Jesus christ! We’ll ignore nearly all of this for now until anything that isn’t blindingly obvious(Equipment makes your stats better!) comes up.

It does have this handy guide about what statuses the DMW can spit out for us though.

Hey, buddy, go gently caress yourself!

So yeah, all that sweet sweet -aga magic we had in the VR mission is now gone. We have a basic load out of Fire, Blizzard, and Cure.

He also tells us about optional missions we can do. Basically at any save point you can do side missions for gear/materia/some other neat stuff. There are a loving MILLION of these bastards. Just assume that I’m plugging away at them as we go along. Very few of them have any story and are just a murder fest. If anything notable comes up I’ll stick it in a post.

This one one is just murdering a few more Shinra Army troops in VR. On the upside we get an Elixir out of it.

Most of the chapters that start in Shinra tower we can swing by the locker room and get some sort of free gear. Always remember to check because it is missable once you actually deploy. This time we net a Bronze Bangle! This actually doesn’t add to our Vitality(we have no derived stats like Defense, just straight up HP/Str/Vit/Spirit/Mag) but boosts our HP 10%.

We are also warned to use our mail for mainly professional reasons. It’s probably a good warning. Zack flirts with almost every named female character in the game.

So we’ll get random Shinra News bulletins, mail important NPCs, Lazard himself and a bunch of other random folks. Zack has some wide ranging interests!

If we try to check our locker for more goodies Kunsel just yells at us. We will persevere though! Nineteen more times!

Kunsel eventually gets exasperated about telling us not to be greedy 19 times in a row and gives us his lot! A Cursed Ring! Oh boy, just what every fledgling adventurer needs. It’s a bit different than in 7. There you start battles with Death Sentence. In here it stops the DMW from working in exchange a 10% bonus to all stats. This stops you from leveling, getting limit breaks, or leveling up your materia! Early on when our other gear sucks it’s not bad to use in tougher missions. There are a few quirky uses later on too.

Of course, boss man! (because we have 0 else to do for now)

Click to Watch

I’m counting on you.

Sir!

By the way, what is your dream? “To become 1st”...is it?

No.

Ah, good! Unattainable dreams are the best kind.

Haha poo poo, son. Shot down by your boss that you’ve never even met before.

[End Video]

Music: Patriots on a Moonlit Night

Let’s hurry, B Unit is standing by.

Well, so much for our stealthy entrance. Possibly we should not have started talking about the plan for the first time right in the middle of the road.

Just leave it to me!

Music: Encounter

So these are the normal mooks of Wutai. They come armed with some sort of halberd/pole arm with a gun mounted in the back end of it. Largely they try to hack at you. Occasionally they shoot at you with the gun which hurts less but can stunlock you for a bit while some other jack rear end comes up and shanks you or interrupts you during an attack. They are slaughtered in short order.

Alright, next!

Calm down, Zack.

No can do.

He’s not lying. If I had to guess Zack has been abusing Hypers on his way to this mission to get hopped up for it.

The director is watching from somewhere, right? I have to make a good impression.

Zack…

:crossarms:

No, what is that?

Unbelievable...How can you not know about dumbapples?

Oooooh I got this now. They’re stored right next to the headlight fluid and the boxes of grid squares. (If only it was this straightforward)

You’ll never make 1st at that rate.

What are dumb apples!

So now we can get slightly tougher Wutai Sergeants showing up. Other than having sweet yellow armor and higher stats they are exactly the same as those they command.

Click to Watch

Music: Theme of CRISIS CORE "Dreams and Pride"

The official name is Banora White. The trees bear fruit at random times during the year. Because of that, the townspeople affectionately call them dumbapples.

Oh, really? So you stole them.

We were poor, Zack.

Nice excuse!

But even then I had my honor.

I really hope you like the word “honor.” By the time this LP is over it will not sound like a real word.

It was rumored that those apples tasted the best. But I never stole from that tree, because the wealthy man’s son was my friend.

If he was a friend you should have just asked for some!

Angeal, this is not how honor works at all. Pride maybe, but not honor.

...And what exactly does this have to do with me?

No story is not worth hearing.

I am forced to disagree. I’ve read the Dirge of Cerberus Let’s Play.

What? That’s it? Yeah? well thanks a lot.

Reminder: We are standing in the patrol territory of an enemy military base surrounded by hostile soldiers. Professionals :patriot:

Lazard reminds people of their responsibilities to SOLDIER and Shinra. I like to think he’s watching them bullshit about some dumb fruit tree and is passively aggressively trying to get them to continue the mission.

The diversion will allow us to infiltrate.

Right. I’ll set the bomb inside the fortress. You’ll charge the front gate, and…

Uh-huh, and?

And? And? And?

I loving love Zack. He’s easily one of my favorite FF protagonists. Never mind we are off to brutally murder Wutai troops then blow up what’s left.

Indulge yourself.

you got it! That’s what I do best! Aaaah come on, B Unit....

You know, I’ve never actually seen you use that. Don’t you think it’s sort of a waste?

And that’s a real waste.

You’re serious, aren’t you?

Dead serious. Angeal really should have been an accountant or insurance adjuster instead of a member of SOLDIER.

Yeah. I can be pretty cheap.

Yeah, no kidding…

Begin mission.

drat it Cut Scene Zack stop taunting me with your sweet jumping skills.

[End Video]

Every so often in a mission you will get a message like this. In this case we are now more likely to get the limit break tied to Angeal thanks to his pep talk about being a cheapskate and a thief.

There are a lot of these motherfuckers and they keep spawning in for a while from the front gate.

Enjoy getting shot with their halberd guns whenever you get tied into an attack chain vs. some other dork across the map.

Once we run out of reinforcements to mow down at the ground level we pop a couple fireballs at these guys up top. I’m actually curious if you are stuck in a soft game loss if you run out of MP and Ethers here. Never tried or had that happen because they die in a single Fire.

Don’t worry folks. The genocide of Wutai’s fighting age men has barely started, next time into the fortress to show Lazard how much of a badass we are!

Bonus(?) Video!

Nashun fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 17, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:eng101: You fight SOLDIER 3rds in Shinra Tower, SOLDIER 2nds on the boat to Costa del Sol, and I think SOLDIER 1sts in part of the return to Midgar.

Dammit you have me wanting to make a Shinra :patriot:, or maybe :911:. When my laptop finishes charging I guess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

If you're looking for avatar material...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zack seems like a pretty fun guy. I can see why people like him so much.

Nashun posted:

By the way, what is your dream? “To become 1st”...is it?

No.

Ah, good! Unattainable dreams are the best kind.

:drat:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
In case you're wondering, the music during the Banora apple speech is 'Theme of CRISIS CORE "Dreams and Pride"' on the OST.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

GeneralYeti posted:

In case you're wondering, the music during the Banora apple speech is 'Theme of CRISIS CORE "Dreams and Pride"' on the OST.

Interestingly enough, every theme, bar one or two, is just a rearrangement of another theme in the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

Yeah, he's right. I found the link to it, too.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Silegna posted:

Interestingly enough, every theme, bar one or two, is just a rearrangement of another theme in the game.

I do like the main theme, but they squeeze every ounce of life out of it by the time the game is through. Also I fixed the link to the song, so thanks guys. Answer: I was just being deaf.

Also I forgot to add this in earlier so, if you really want here is a video of me murdering the Wutai gate defense force. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_no4ZN3aaU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Nashun posted:

Also I forgot to add this in earlier so, if you really want here is a video of me murdering the Wutai gate defense force. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_no4ZN3aaU

This video is private.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Alpha3KV posted:

This video is private.

Derp. Fixed. Forgot I had youtube on default to private. That has been changed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I love how nobody in FF has ever conceived of a bayonet. :allears:

• Locked thread