Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, it's kind of sad to see Sephiroth now, before what we all know happens. Because he seems to be a decent human being. He knows something's up with Cloud and doesn't want to call attention to it but does free him to go see his parents if he wants to. He's also conflicted with his feelings about Genesis but he's honest about them.

I had a random thought on the drive home from work yesterday about how FF7 would've looked with Zack as we know him from CC as the protagonist instead of Cloud with his unfortunately hosed up take on everything during that game. It's kind of heartbreaking to think about how many scenes inherently change when your protag wears his heart out on his sleeve like Zack does during this game, and that's not even getting into alternate spin timeline fanfic poo poo like how he'd handle Aerith dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Derek Barona posted:

I had a random thought on the drive home from work yesterday about how FF7 would've looked with Zack as we know him from CC as the protagonist instead of Cloud with his unfortunately hosed up take on everything during that game. It's kind of heartbreaking to think about how many scenes inherently change when your protag wears his heart out on his sleeve like Zack does during this game, and that's not even getting into alternate spin timeline fanfic poo poo like how he'd handle Aerith dying.

I liked the idea I heard once that if FFVII was a "traditional" story Zachary and Aerith would have been the protagonists while Cloud would have been the plucky sidekick. The one remaining Soldier 1st Class who did not go batshit and the sole surviving member of an ancient race leading the fight against the terrible inhuman evil that took over/was joined by the hero's former comrade sure SOUNDS like an epic story, doesn't it? And who better to have as a companion than the kid who had the desire but not the talent to be a big shot hero and had a shining moment of glory saving you from the big bad? Of course the evil scientist messed him up with a terrible experiment that's left him susceptible to the inhuman evil and you need to protect/fix him, and maybe fix him up with that cute NPC girl you met early on. But of course in the game story the "protagonists" bite it early on and everything is left in the hands of the plucky sidekicks who proceed to screw the quest up. Oops!

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Update coming tomorrow!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

MadDogMike posted:

I liked the idea I heard once that if FFVII was a "traditional" story Zachary and Aerith would have been the protagonists while Cloud would have been the plucky sidekick. The one remaining Soldier 1st Class who did not go batshit and the sole surviving member of an ancient race leading the fight against the terrible inhuman evil that took over/was joined by the hero's former comrade sure SOUNDS like an epic story, doesn't it? And who better to have as a companion than the kid who had the desire but not the talent to be a big shot hero and had a shining moment of glory saving you from the big bad? Of course the evil scientist messed him up with a terrible experiment that's left him susceptible to the inhuman evil and you need to protect/fix him, and maybe fix him up with that cute NPC girl you met early on. But of course in the game story the "protagonists" bite it early on and everything is left in the hands of the plucky sidekicks who proceed to screw the quest up. Oops!

Except he's got the talent and the reason he didn't make SOLDIER was entirely beyond his control :ssh:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

apostateCourier posted:

Except he's got the talent and the reason he didn't make SOLDIER was entirely beyond his control :ssh:

Is this going to be addressed in more detail or something? Because as far as we've seen, Cloud wanted to be in SOLDIER, joined the SOLDIER training program, and by Nibelheim he'd dropped/flunked out.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Schwartzcough posted:

Is this going to be addressed in more detail or something? Because as far as we've seen, Cloud wanted to be in SOLDIER, joined the SOLDIER training program, and by Nibelheim he'd dropped/flunked out.

I believe it's been stated that a combination of his motion sickness(?) and generally thin physique that got him disqualified from SOLDIER. Remember, this is a guy, whom after getting the SOLDIER enhancements could still pass as a woman

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

berryjon posted:

Remember, this is a guy, whom after getting the SOLDIER enhancements could still pass as a woman

To be fair, it probably wouldn't take much to make Sephiroth look like a woman either. He'd need to never open his mouth, though.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, it probably wouldn't take much to make Sephiroth look like a woman either.

Maybe if you only saw him from the back and closed your eyes so you wouldn't see how broad-shouldered he was or how built his arms were. Hair =/= Girlishness. Sephiroth's too masculine-looking to pass as a girl. Cloud only got away with it through a combination of being significantly smaller in size than most of the obvious muscleheads running around Wall Market and having a great eye for accessorizing.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
or because it was funny and its a game and not reality

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

or because it was funny and its a game and not reality

TAKE YOUR BLASPHEMY AND BEGONE, HEATHEN

Seriously though, it's a Let's Play thread on Something Awful. Don't play that card here, man.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually answering that would be spoilers, so I'll just say this: think about why Zack wasn't hosed up by Hojo's experiments, but Cloud was; and remember, Cloud being hosed up is also why the events of FF7 played out, so that's also what Hojo was apparently aiming for.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

thetruegentleman posted:

Actually answering that would be spoilers, so I'll just say this: think about why Zack wasn't hosed up by Hojo's experiments, but Cloud was; and remember, Cloud being hosed up is also why the events of FF7 played out, so that's also what Hojo was apparently aiming for.

Cloud was a bit of a happy accident as far as Hojo was concerned. Immediately after the experiment he considered him a failure. It wasn't until the whole Reunion business kicked into gear did he realize what he had stumbled into. But I won't go into too much more depth for now since we are a few updates away from those things happening!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Nashun posted:

Cloud was a bit of a happy accident as far as Hojo was concerned. Immediately after the experiment he considered him a failure. It wasn't until the whole Reunion business kicked into gear did he realize what he had stumbled into. But I won't go into too much more depth for now since we are a few updates away from those things happening!

Happy my rear end, Hojo was pissed because he thought Cloud was a failure, and Cloud became the only success. Hojo was so upset that Cloud hurt his ego that he wouldn't even give Cloud an ID.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 24: Distant Truths

Well, treasure hunts and sidequests aside, it’s now time to kick this poo poo show into gear. It’s time for everything to start going wrong! This one is going to run a bit long because I want everything cleaned up before the next update.

This landscape… I could swear I’ve seen it before.

Tifa! You’re our guide?

At your service!

Just don’t ask what TYPE of services somebody in that outfit offers.

Man: Okay… Say Cheese!

Zack manages just in time to strike a manly pose right before the most important photographs in FF7 is taken. Thank god Cloud didn’t have false memories of looking like an awkward dork. FF7 really would have gone off the rails!

Nobody is a better guide than me in this town!

But it’s too dangerous!

The journey to the Nibelheim reactor this time is just a series of photographs with a bit of talking overlayed. My guess? The way the active game engine goes is really bad for handling a whole group of people who are actually moving around doing things instead of just standing there waiting for you to talk to them but it would be too long to do as a real cutscene.

We can’t get you involved in something like this!

She’ll be fine, if you protect her.

Stay back, it’s just knocked out. It could wake up and start chowing down on you!

use brings about wear, tear, and rust. So usually, I just hit with the blunt side.

I really wish the in game model accounted for that. It would be amazing. As is, we have to treat Zack like a goddamned liar. On the other hand it accounts for Genesis’ dramatically limping away without being covered by blood!

Poor Shinra Infantryman #2. The montage didn’t even cover you falling off a breaking bridge.

This is a top-secret facility. Non-Shinra personnel are not permitted inside.

But…!

Keep the young lady safe.

I can’t even say way to be adult, since she is 14-15 or something at this point. But way to pout.

Click to Watch. You Should Do It

Music: The Skyscraper of Iron and Steel (from ''LAST ORDER FFVII'')

Jenova…!?

This is the cause of the malfunction. This section is broken.

Why did it break?

I do have to say, Zack must have been amazingly thorough when he described what went down in here to Cloud at some point. “And so that’s the point where I went and turned a valve…” He has a chance to see some of this later, but not the conversation itself or how Sephiroth was acting.

You average SOLDIER members are mako-infused humans. You’re enhanced, but you’re still human. But then, what are those things?

Are they...monsters?

This version does have less direct insulting of Hojo. Also no mention of Gast actually. Like I said way earlier. We are covering events that happened in FF7, but they are definitely not identical.

You said “average” member. What about you?

Sephiroth just rolled for sanity damage and didn’t do so well.

Zack gets slapped/punched around a lot by the senior Firsts in this game.

Could it be...that I…was created the same way?

We now have a minute to run around freely. Though there isn’t much to do. We find a White Cape(Silence protection, +20 Spirit) outside though.

No...not yet.

Yeah, the uh, boss is having a bit of a moment. Just thought I’d give him some breathing room before he stabbed me.

Then you should go back. Don’t worry, I’ll keep watch here.

Do I have to?

I...I can’t tell you.

Zack, is something wrong?

:munch:

I was not like the others. I knew mine was a special existence.

I will say, for reasons to go completely anime crazy over, Sephiroth has pretty good ground to stand on.

Am I...a human being?

???: No such luck. You are a monster.

And then the part where Zack explodes and goes flying across the room at 200mph happens. Wait, WHAT?

I tried to gif it but he crosses the camera in about 3 frames and it looks more like Sephiroth is busting out some disco moves while Zack teleports back and forth a few feet while on fire. It’s pretty hilarious in the video itself though.

Sephiroth being Sephiroth casually pops some sort of shield spell off.

And then in a moment of horrible continuity for multiple reasons, Genesis arrives. He doesn’t even show up from the angle he just fireballed two people from!

Sephiroth… You were the greatest monster created by the Jenova Project.

Genesis…so you are alive!

What is the Jenova Project?

...was the term used for all experiments...relating to the use of Jenova’s cells.

Time for things to take a turn for the metal gear.

Metal gear!?

You’ve never actually met your mother. You’ve only been told her name, no?

I’d have liked Genesis way more if he was just constantly a smug jerk and ditched the poetry.

I don’t know what images you’ve conjured up in your head, but…

Zack continues to writhe in the corner. Apparently degradation hasn’t slowed down Genesis too much. Zack is really trying to look out for his buddy though! He doesn’t know the poo poo show that is coming, but he knows no one deserves to know they are a hellbeast experiment from god knows what.

Jenova was excavated from a 2000-year-old rock layer. She’s a monster.

Genesis really needs to work on his salesmanship. I’ve heard of a hard sell, but this is outrageous.

Jenova Project G gave birth to Angeal...and monsters like myself. Jenova Project S…

S…?

Thanks for reminding us you are here buddy.

What do you want of me?

Your traits cannot be copied unto others. Your genes can’t be diffused.

:science:

Share your cells with me.

Hey, buddy. That’s something a little personal to ask a friend. At least take him out on a date first.

Oh god not Loveless.

Is the bringer of life, the gift of the goddess.

He must just have a freezer of these stashed away somewhere.

...are lies created to deceive me...or the truth, that I have sought all my life… It makes no difference.

I just love the expression on Genesis’ face as it goes from smug to “someone just kicked my puppy” in moments.

Sephiroth, if you could have just killed him there instead of letting him linger on another chapter or two I could have forgiven most of what you are about to do.

The goddess descends from the sky. Wings of light and dark spread afar. She guides us to bliss, her gift everlasting.

Me and Zack agree.

-End Video-

Music: Combat

Zack follows the two unhinged genetic experiments back outside.

Cloud is a bit pre-occupied getting shot in the face to say where they went.

It’s ok. Cowboy Tifa with Kung-Fu grip is on the scene.

...I’m sure she’ll do fine.

Genesis Infantry reskin of the day: Still annoying with their machine gun stun.

Our main foe is the G DELETER. He wants to hack the planet it and replace it with one without us. The first attempt is hitting us with a really easily avoidable gravity.

I’m too busy doing petty crime to care.

One of the G Legion pops barrier on him. It doesn’t make the fight any harder, but does make it longer.

Mortal Shock is an amazing accessory. It makes your weapon proc Death and it hits with a REALLY high rate against your average enemy.

Vital Slash makes quick work of his two buddies.

Mildly annoying attack: Life drain!

Sometimes it actually hits real hard

An unending chain of Vital Slashes makes quick work of him though.

Well, you are still standing and he is on the ground. So he technically did. It just didn’t work out well for him.

I know. Tifa, stay close to me.

Thank god Tifa has been working out.

So now we need to head back to base while Tifa very slowly carries Cloud home. Zack isn’t being a jerk, we are now fighting monsters! It’s the same poo poo we’ve been fighting the whole time + Genesis troopers though. And we don’t need to actively protect her or anything. She will just slooowly drag Cloud forward untouched by the baddies. Once we leave the Reactor zone it just teleports us to where we were hunting for the strange bombs earlier.

After a lot of random encounters we do make it back to the town square though.

Cloud still seems to largely be in one piece.

Something the matter?

Sorry, I can’t tell you.

I’ll ask around town about Sephiroth.

Thanks, TIfa.

Click to Watch

I think it is worth a watch. The general voice acting, timing and pacing of the talking is pretty good, so something is definitely lost in just the text here.

If only I were SOLDIER… Zack...?

What happened?

I don’t know, man… I thought I knew, but…

Note: This is clearly an “ahh!” of frustration, not relaxation.

By the way, do you know Tifa?

I mean, does looking in her underwear drawer count? Because if so we are REAL close.

Talked to her?

No.

I’m with SOLDIER, so...fighting is all I do. Sorting things out is someone else’s job. What’s going on? Who’s the enemy?

Well, it took two thirds of the game but Zack has at least realized the ACTUAL position he’s found himself in. It would be fun to have this Zack talk to the Crescent Unit from Wutai.

Hey, Zack?

In theory I like the parallels going on with this conversation.

Zack is at a turning point in his life. He knows he may have to do something soon that there is no going back from. Cloud isn’t so far off where Zack was at Wutai mission.

It’s a bit hamfisted and dishonest though.

You’re a little more important than my sword.

Angeal legitimately did not use his sword unless it was absolutely positively necessary. Honestly the Buster Sword probably saved more lives than it ended in his hands.

And, whatever happens, protect your SOLDIER honor.

But Zack pretty much wields it 24/7 in whatever current murderfest he is involved in, including several in front of Cloud. Even if we take him at his word that he usually just beats people with the flat of the blade it’s still not exactly gentle.

No, it’s more…

Thank you, Cloud.

Huh?

Uh, yeah. Right on.

And with that dramatic self-revelation, SQUAT TIME. Or not. He does about 3.

Well, I’m gonna crash. Night!

And then just rolls into bed without a further word.

Music: A Momentary Rest

I think this may actually be the only time this shows up in game.

-End Video-

In the morning we get up to a few e-mails.

It will take Tifa about three e-mails to actually get around to asking us her deep and shocking question. Also why are you giving your phone number to strange girls!?

Speaking of Tifa.

Sephiroth is apparently at Shinra Manor.

That big mansion?

Yes. Shinra has owned it for a long time.

And then she’s out without another word. People are really bad at saying goodbye in this universe.

Prepare for about 6000 e-mails upcoming. Everybody and their uncle wants to talk to Zack in the next 10 minutes. Also why are we with these people still?

Person 1 on that list being Aerith. At least she was nice enough to call.

Music: A Flower Blooming in the Slums (from FFVII ''Aerith's Theme'')

Aerith?

I finally got through!

Yeah…

Zack does a quick look around for a hiding Turk or something.

Uh, listen. Now’s not the best time. I’ll call you later.

Okay, I’ll come visit.

I’ll be here.

I’ll see you, I promise.

And our DMW is affected by emotions! More Aerith here we come.

Come with me!

Cloud helpfully tells us how to get to a place we have been!

She has three carts! Three. Ok, two that you’d actually want to sell flowers in. But still.

The start of 7 must have been a super weird time for Tifa. She’s gotten over the thing with Cloud. She’s off living her own life, is a strong independent woman. Then the past just comes rolling in with a vengeance.

There’s a weird / interesting alternate universe to be had if things basically just went back to normal for Zack. He would have been a way more interesting inside ally than Reeve.

I wasn’t joking about the spam we got. And Tifa can rest assured that Zack is good at keeping people’s secrets. Though usually we get paid well for it.

Hey if nothing else this got the basement unlocked so we can do one of the 7 wonders for that kid!

The basement features non-Angealed Sahagins.

These guys drop Coffin Keys which we will need for Wonder #5.

The side rooms without Sephiroth have a whole bunch of coffins. Frankly a worrying amount of coffins. One we open with a Coffin Key is a bit less empty than the others though!

M-maybe...I should leave him alone.

Poor Vincent. Can’t even get a visual cameo in a game that exists based on a few flavor lines in his own game.

Boy: So you are saying it was just him snoring? That’s a little disappointing, but I wonder who that guy is…?

Boy: The sixth wonder…

Boy: But that’s all I know. It’s not enough to go on, right?

Unfortunately for you, no. We got things to see and villages to, well, you know. But that is going to be saved for next time.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
That look on Genesis' face when the apple gets batted out of his hand.

gently caress it, I'm perfectly willing to forgive the existence of crazy evil Sephiroth just because he caused that one moment to happen before going off the deep end.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

You know, in a way I'm glad for the whole attempted plot derail by Genesis. It keeps the inevitable that we know is coming at bay for a few seconds more.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Don't worry kid, you'll be seeing "within the flames" real soon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure every character is done with Genesis's poo poo at this point. Even Tifa, and she doesn't know him.

I know I am.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Honestly, Genesis feels like a real detriment to this scenario, and it's a sign that we've actually hit the opposite end of the Sephiroth Spectrum from where we started.

So, let's break it down. Before we started, Sephy's status was, of course, a card carrying villain and tween dream evil pretty boy who spouts vaguely homo-erotic slashfic-inspiring nonsense whenever he and Cloud are in the room together. See the entirety of Cloud's story in the first Dissidia game to get where I'm coming from with that. If you weren't shipping some sort of horrible twisted 50 Shades Of Grey relationship between him and Cloud, you were shipping Sephiroth/Walking Through An Inferno Dramatically. He was the poster boy for pretty boy villains and inspired countless horrible roleplay board OCs across the internet for a generation, and helped directly polarize those of us who grew up with any opinion of FF7 into the camps of "Best Game EVAR!!!" and "I cannot stand this garbage get it out of my face." Sure, we know better now, but anyone between the ages of eight and fifteen when that game came out knows what I'm talking about.

So Sephiroth shows up in this game, and many people, myself included in the early parts of this thread, responded with "Here we go. :jerkbag:" because we expected Crisis Core to follow the established set up to a tee. But they didn't. For whatever reason, the script writer decided "Y'know what, no." and began to actually write Sephiroth as a person. They didn't give us the crazed RPG villain we've known for a generation, they decided to make him out to be the hero that FF7's lore always claimed he once was. And y'know what? They succeeded. Like, big time. I personally went from someone who thought FF7 was an okay game but hated Sephiroth to someone who legitimately likes Sephiroth at least as he's portrayed here. Given that I was in that "hate all the hype" camp as a kid and honestly remained so up until this thread, that's an amazing turnaround. They gave us a genuinely good character when there once was none.

But here's the problem. No matter how good of a character he is, we all know there comes a point where that bird flies straight over the cuckoo's nest and there ain't a goddamn thing anybody can do about it. He is destined through simple virtue of this being an FF7 prequel to eventually embrace the crazy within and walk dramatically through that wall of fire like the commercial shot always meant him to. I can't stop it, you can't stop it, CC can't stop it. But it really wants to.

So they've gone from building a poo poo character and the template for a million angsty teenagers to base their idolized appearances on into the most awesome guy you could possibly ever want watching your back to protecting this same guy from his inevitable fall from grace by basically shifting the blame. Enter Genesis. He's clearly meant to come in, say some nasty poo poo that shakes Sephiroth's faith in himself, and essentially deflect a lot of what's about to happen away from Sephy's own break from reality that turns him into a homicidal maniac. So when Sephiroth does lose it, we're meant to look at it and go "It was Genesis' fault! If he hadn't been here, none of this would've ever happened!"

That's kinda lame, if you ask me. As much as I hate the whole villain archetype version of Sephiroth, after coming this far to see him develop into such a bro, I feel like he should be allowed to fall from grace on his own terms. It would make said fall have a lot more impact for the player, watching this and knowing that there's nothing you can really do to save this guy from himself no matter how much you want to. Throwing Genesis in the mix just gives us an unnecessary antagonist that we're expected to lay all the blame on, and that's not even taking into account whatever other sort of nonsense G's supposed to try and pull as this situation spirals further out of control.

tl;dr version, gently caress Genesis. He ruins everything, the whiny poo poo.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Yeah. Generally he's just pretty :rolleyes: but he's really butting in where he doesn't belong here. This is basically Cloud and Sephiroth's key bit of time then this dingus shows up and is like HEY GUYS WHAT UP.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Yeah, Genesis definitely does ruin all of this. If he were so drat important to everything, you'd think in FF7, Cloud would be like, "hey, remember that other super popular 1st class soldier that went butt-loving nuts?"

But nope, in FF7, nobody remembers or gives even a tiny poo poo about Genesis, as it should be.

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 28, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Slightly Absurd posted:

Yeah, Genesis definitely does ruin all of this. If he were so drat important to everything, you'd think in FF7, Cloud would be like, "hey remember that other super popular 1st class soldier that went butt-loving nuts?"

But nope, in FF7, nobody remembers or gives even a tiny poo poo about Genesis, as it should be.

That's one of my recurring fears about the FFVII remake; that Nomura, in a fit of frustration and spite over Genesis being a walking joke to everyone else but him and getting booted out of the driver's seat of his magnum opus for being a disorganized gently caress up, that he will smear Genesis over every possible second of the remake that he can, including the Nibelheim Reactor "flashback".

It's almost like the people behind Crisis Core went "god, can you believe this fuckstick character Nomura saddled us with? The gently caress are we gonna do with him?" And then they went "let's actually make him the shithead he seems like he would be AND shove him into one of the most iconic scenes of the game just to make everyone hate him as much as we do!"

And then they did :devil:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Slightly Absurd posted:

Yeah, Genesis definitely does ruin all of this. If he were so drat important to everything, you'd think in FF7, Cloud would be like, "hey, remember that other super popular 1st class soldier that went butt-loving nuts?"

Either Zack skimmed over Genesis in his narration or Cloud and Tifa did. Either way, it's pretty funny to imagine that the characters just get weary thinking about him.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Cloud: So then, out of nowhere, there's a fireball, and...

Tifa: :jerkbag:

Cloud: I never figured out where it came from.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

While I'm liking the characterization Sephiroth is getting here and him batting the apple away was pretty great, I preferred his sword swinging hissy fit in the original more.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PFlats posted:

Cloud: So then, out of nowhere, there's a fireball, and...

Tifa: :jerkbag:

Cloud: I never figured out where it came from.

That's just it though: Cloud got knocked the gently caress silly even before he got HOJO'd, so it's fairly reasonable that he forgot about Genesis. Tifa has no idea who Genesis is, and if she saw him at all (which is doubtful, with Cloud between them) she probably just went "oh yeah, he had a black wing, and Sephiroth has a black wing, so that mystery guy was probably just Sephiroth right before he went full Axe Crazy."

As for Genesis, well...Zack probably assumed Cloud would remember Genesis on his own in time, since Cloud has been helping to hunt the guy for months. Zach may have gotten around to it eventually, but he kinda died at some point, and well...let's be honest, even someone in a coma wouldn't believe some fashion model spouting lovely poetry was a legit threat to Shinra, so best leave that for last :v:.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I didn't get the impression that they were trying to pin Sephiroth's downfall on Genesis at all. In fact, I took the apple scene as an explicit rejection of that: Sephiroth doesn't give a poo poo what Genesis says and will go do his own research in the library before properly going crazy. I mean, I'm as annoyed as anyone else at Genesis sticking his nose into this critical moment of the story, but he's not here because it matters to Sephiroth so much as because he's essentially the main villain of Crisis Core. Without his presence, honestly the whole Nibelheim thing would essentially be an incredibly random non-sequitur that has nothing to do with anything that came before it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hojo probably ends up inventing some kind of memory projector to erase everyone's memories of Project G, or something.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Glazius posted:

Hojo probably ends up inventing some kind of memory projector to erase everyone's memories of Project G, or something.

If only we had one of those ourselves.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Wee this went without update a bit longer than I intended! Sorry again. I'll have one out this week for sure.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Dammit, collapsing at the finish line is weak

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 25: Reunion

Sorry bout the spotty updates the last few months. During the course of this LP I went from single goon with infinite free time to engaged goon with significantly less free time! We are winding down here though so I will get this nonsense wrapped up.

Click to Watch

Professor Gast named this life form Jenova… Date: X/X/XX - Jenova verified as an Ancient…

Yeah, all the dates are just either redacted or they were lazy or something. At least rough dates do exist for all these events via Ultimania so it’s weird to me it is just X/X/XX

Mako Reactor 1 authorized for use…

Could this be a coincidence.

This is pretty much all going down as in FF7, down to the camera angles. The phrasing is a touch changed, but nothing too crazy.

Professor Gast, why didn’t you tell me? Why did you die?

Everything looks to be on the up and up here. Locking chambers and a totally not examination/dissection table in the middle of the secret room under the Mansion.

When we get control Sephiroth immediately just tells us to go gently caress off. Our trip isn’t a complete waste though.

Elixir in the lab!

Shinra will be FURIOUS when they get their electric bill this month. Oh wait.

He rested. It had been a long week. Even god only worked six days before taking a break.

I too find a good bonfire relaxing. But this one might be just a touch too far, Sephiroth.

Also prepare for maximum motion blur in this segment to simulate the heat waves.

That’s a bit on the nose.

It’ll be zero visibility in there. I’ll have to feel my way through… I’ll only have about a minute in those flames. Can I save her in that time?

Hell yeah, cause Zack is a hero! :black101:

So queue another really annoying mini game.

The camera vaguely follows Zack as he navigates a completely unknown interior of this house. It’s a total pain in the rear end. The first time I failed horribly and created an orphan. It’s roughly go right, go back, go up some stairs to the left, go back forward, to the right to rescue mom, and retrace your steps.

There you are! You’re son’s waiting for you outside. I’ll get you out of here, just hold on.

Boy: Mom! Are you okay?

She’s kind of rag doll when we first take her out, but she bounces back a bit.

“Fire”...? “Precious” …?

Boy: What’s the matter, mister?

Oh, I was just thinking… Maybe this is the Sixth Wonder…

Apparently we have a bad psychic that got vibes of Sephiroth going bugfuck and killing the village, but not enough to be helpful.

Boy: Oh, Yeah. We’re down to the last one. The hint is…

Finally Zack has his priorities straight. It only took the murder of an entire village to do it.

I still have things to do, too. The Seventh Wonder can wait.

Boy: Okay. Then here, I want you to have this…

And our reward on the Sixth Wonder is ATK Up++ materia. It’s kind of disappointing right now and only adds 3 attack.

For what it’s worth this bit is a fair deal different than how it went down originally. Zangan(Tifa’s trainer/master) was the one to check the building we found the lady in and he doesn’t find anything and a guy is dead out front of it.

Apparently Cloud is safe here because we don’t move him or help him at all. True friendship.

Back in 1997 there WAS a Shinra Infantry knocked out right where Cloud is this go round.

I’m, uh, right here buddy? (I’m assuming he is just out of his loving mind and talking to Jenova right now)

It’s been a long trip here, but the rails finally took us to the point of no escape. The real story of Final Fantasy 7 was forged in the ashes of Nibelheim and we’d be remiss not to return to Cloud and Tifa’s hell that turned them into two very broken people.

Sephiroth, how could you…?

-End Video-

Oh boy we have to do random battles on our way to our showdown with Sephiroth. Death Claws have showed up. Mainly notable for an instant death attack. Rest of the enemies are the same.

Prepping for the fight. Overkill.jpg. Sephiroth attacks basically strictly with physical attacks so I am piling on the Vitality.

Click to Watch. You really should

Once we get into the main room of the reactor we find Tifa knocked out on the floor. Not a good day for team side character.

:smith:

We’ll always have that time you tried to ask me about another guy.

Zack contemplates that he really should have hosed out of Shinra about six months ago.

Oh yeah!

Zack is loving done with this poo poo. Why check if the door is locked when you can just Kool Aid man right through it.

Mother…

Sephiroth!

Facial animation continues to be spot on this game.

Also thank god Sephiroth has a decent VA for this game. Because the dialogue is definitely kind of cheesy but he sells it.

But don’t be sad, Mother.

Someone has crazy eyes!

….I’m not sure where Zack has vanished to here. Maybe he stepped out to give Sephiroth a moment with his mom.

I always forget how awesome/terrifying the design is on Jenova.

At least Zack makes a good return to the scene.

Masamune pops into existence for the first time in the scene here. Maybe Zack was holding it off screen for him?

Dramatic posing quota has been met.

Sephiroth manages to push Zack away from the platform and he starts falling. Sephiroth gracefully floats down next to him.

After that Zack is much less gracefully falling.

Finally all those squats pays off. He lands a 100’ drop with no problems.

Sephiroth don’t need no stinking rip off wing to fly. He just does it through the power of fabulous hair.

-End Video-

Click For Boss Fight

Heaven or hell, let’s rock!

Vital Slash owns bones. Does 9999 to most normal enemies, 4k a pop to Sephiroth. Basically my bread and butter for most of the rest of the game.

Seph’s normal attack is a 3 hit combo. It is...less than impressive with how def stacked I am.

I’m 10 time stronger than the boss!

Seph can go transparent/telporty….though I’m not really sure the purpose.

I fire off the world’s most useless regen since i’m at 5500/2800 health…

And barrier for good measure.

28 damage :smug:

Draw Slash is his first special. It’s a physical attack but ignores vitality and hits HARD. Somehow I managed to be waaaay across the arena the first time he used it though.

I really like his Octaslash attack, because the animation has Zack actually fighting back even though the end result is unavoidable.

Super hero landing!

Well that was disappointing.

I chuck a few fireballs just for variety’s sake.

Sephiroth also has a Summon skill.

These giant materia don’t seem to do anything but float around and get in your way. They have about 15,000 HP each. Sephiroth has 55k or so. They can 100% be ignored.

Genesis’ DMW shows up to poo poo all over Sephiroth some more. The apple knocked out of his hand left him furious!

:effort: I think I’ve got this, Genesis.

More dramatic anime dueling! Without barrier up it manages 425 at least.

And with one last Vital Slash Sephiroth is down(ish)

-End Video-

Click to Watch Through End of Update

Apparently neither one is really feeling that bad after that last brawl.

Music: The World's Enemy (from FFVII ''One-Winged Angel'')

NOW is a good time for that track to show up, not way back in chapter 5.

...well so much for our battleground. I also question the glass platform 100 feet down from the main reactor segment 100 above ???

Zack won’t be stopped by no cutscene attack.

:smugdog:

Yeah so this fight has a weird condition. Well, it’s not SO weird. Really just a hidden time limit. We are now on a narrow platform with no room to maneuver. EVENTUALLY if we don’t knock his HP down Sephiroth will knock us off the back and we fall to our doom.

Draw slash is kind of triply dangerous now. We can’t dodge it, AND it has some hellacious knockback. Not to mention hitting for over one third of my base life.

Occasionally Sephiroth chucks some Firagas at your face. They can sting, but not that scary.

Hooray for massive healing and some invincibility. Though it doesn’t stop me from getting knocked way backwards.

On one hand, getting close is nearly a guarantee to get flung backwards and lose time. On the other hand, it hits for over 4000 damage and Sephiroth only has about 32000 this go round.

Sephiroth almost shows up to tell me how to beat up Sephiroth but can’t quite seal the deal. But hey, more health.

Octaslash is still on the table.

Sephiroth starts up an attack called Heartless Angel but is rudely interrupted by Genesis before it can resolve. The timing on these DMWs is kind of great this battle.

Heartless Angel is basically the drat attack Sephiroth has in Kingdom Hearts. Instantly your HP goes to 1 no matter what it was before. It’s super dangerous. About 3 seconds later he did Octaslash on me and I barely had enough time to heal.

This time Sephiroth’s motivation manages to succeed!

But Zack finishes things his own way with a Vital slash before the Octaslash animation kicks off.

Once again both combatants are feeling pretty frisky still.

Nice face there, Zack. And nice job on the haircut, Sephiroth. Precision work with that blade.

Also Cutscene Zack remembers that he can make a giant leap, so hops back up on to floor where Jenova is.

With Sephiroth hot on his tail of course.

But things are not looking good for him this go round.

Oh hey the crappy cutscene quality is back. I mean, it’s only one of the most important scenes in FF7’s story. Why make it look uniformly good.

Well, Zack’s down for the count. RIP everyone.

The Buster Sword was spinning in the air the entire time past Zack landing 30’ away outside the door and Sephiroth reacting to it but finally lands.

This would have made a great promo art somewhere. I’m also thoroughly impressed Cloud made it here through all the death claws.

Always keep your back to a wall, Sephiroth. Even if you are the god king of the world.

Ok, I was being serious this chunk. But seriously, sephiroth is literally cut in half through the spine and we all know he isn’t quite down for the count. There is maybe an inch of non severed flesh on each side of his torso.

Way to go, Cloud. You thought you’d never keep that promise from the well, but you did it. .

...Just don’t get too creepy.

ALSO if you aren’t watching the video, now is a really great time to start watching the video.

Can’t you even die right?

Cloud has really been working out off camera. One handing that monster of a sword.

Also Zack apparently taught him Braver somewhere along the way.

Oh that doesn’t look good.

Man, we got so far and now we get a party wipe.

It is weird to be writing for a scene where most of you have already seen this and know exactly what happens. It’s hard to keep up the tension!

Owwww.

:black101: No matter what anyone else thought, Cloud always had it in him to be SOLDIER. I don’t think it is possible to be more mission oriented than he is.

And if nothing else the last 10 minutes have taught me that just because you are down 80% of your blood and/or organs doesn’t mean you can’t be a badass.

You’ve got a point! Cloud did this while hovering a foot of the ground!

...But I’m willing to forgive that

Feels good man.

So long man, see you in five years.

It’s only some internal bleeding, I got this.

Cloud has done all he could in his berserk range and is down for the count.

Friends til the end.

God drat it. Can’t we just die in peace?

Hahahaha

Well guys, it’s been fun being human. Can’t wait to see you on the other side.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Can I have the old Sehpi' back? The one who was a totally cool guy and not this random impostor with a mommy-complex?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

berryjon posted:

Can I have the old Sehpi' back? The one who was a totally cool guy and not this random impostor with a mommy-complex?

I'd love it if the FF7 remake payed a mind to some of the things Crisis Core got right and actually gave Sephiroth something approaching a personality. But I doubt it because it'll be around a full decade between CC and the time FF7 PS4 comes out, so it's liable to just be forgotten... or drat well ignored because Nomura's still salty that his FF7 game crashed and burned and someone else's was lauded as being better than the original (in addition to how salty he is over getting kicked off FF15).

As for what's going on in CC itself right now, I'm pretty sure we're now in an extended playable epilogue. Like, there is an actual final boss to Crisis Core (surprise! It's Genesis again!), but it's treated as such a wet fart afterthought.

From a tonal, thematic, and gameplay perspective, Sephiroth is the final boss of Crisis Core, like he should be. Everything that comes next is the "victory lap", and by that of course I mean "the Bataan Death March toward the inevitable meeting with FF7 canon."

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 8, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sephiroth could have won if he dropped the sword instead if letting Cloud toss him. Then again, he was probably delirious from nearly being cut in half.

And here's Hojo to ruin everything. Woo!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
When you finally meet the "real" sephiroth in FFVII, he seems to mostly be a torso (that kinda mutates into his other various forms). I always wonder if it was because he was basically cut in half by the buster sword, but then he did do a fair amount of walking around after getting stabbed, so maybe not.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Schwartzcough posted:

When you finally meet the "real" sephiroth in FFVII, he seems to mostly be a torso (that kinda mutates into his other various forms). I always wonder if it was because he was basically cut in half by the buster sword, but then he did do a fair amount of walking around after getting stabbed, so maybe not.

Did he? Or did he do a lot of flying around as just a torso?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Torso sephiroth was always in one place since before ff7 starts.
The random sephiroths going afound are devloved SOLDIERs or pieces of big mommy jenova.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

berryjon posted:

I always felt this "mother mother" Sephiroth was more like a phase, getting up close to Jenova messing with his head like it does to anyone with Jenova cells in them. Cloud's natural 20 backstab is enough to shake him out of that, he seems a bit more himself immediately after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

CheeseThief posted:

I always felt this "mother mother" Sephiroth was more like a phase, getting up close to Jenova messing with his head like it does to anyone with Jenova cells in them. Cloud's natural 20 backstab is enough to shake him out of that, he seems a bit more himself immediately after.

And Sephiroth would be affected more than most, since his Jenova Cells are perfectly entwined with his DNA.

• Locked thread