Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Klaus88 posted:

I love how nobody in FF has ever conceived of a bayonet. :allears:
Some sort of gun/blade combo? That sounds completely ludicrous :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honor motivates people to do strange things, like stealing lovely food rather than mooching better food off their friends.

Of course, if you actually say that for the company cameras, audiovisual has to try and pad out the training tape to give everybody a proper morning off. So you cultivate a certain circumlocutory affectation - at least if you're talking like you have the job you want, instead of the job you have.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So Angeal is the PR member of SOLDIER? Makes sense.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think the biggest disappointment in this game is that, for all everyone talks about them, no one says the line 'how do you like dumbapples'.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

for all everyone talks about them

OK I'm trying to go into this more positively than, say, DoC, but (to get some whining off my chest) "dumbapples" are going to be a thing for the majority of the game? :psyduck: To say nothing of the amazing subtlety of the character name "Angeal".

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 18, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

AlphaKretin posted:

OK I'm trying to go into this more positively than, say, DoC, but (to get some whining off my chest) "dumbapples" are going to be a thing for the majority of the game? :psyduck: To say nothing of the amazing subtlety of the character name "Angeal".

They're.... part of a respectable minority as two characters (we've met one) like to mention this never-before-seen-or-heard-of town and it's sole export (well, that and Soldier 1sts).

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Nashun posted:

Once we run out of reinforcements to mow down at the ground level we pop a couple fireballs at these guys up top. I’m actually curious if you are stuck in a soft game loss if you run out of MP and Ethers here. Never tried or had that happen because they die in a single Fire.

Nah, you can just wait for no MP cost to show up on the roulette wheel thingy.

Zack is a really, really good character. Almost everyone else sucks in this game, but Zack is cool.

If you decide to try the game for yourselves, don't loving play it on hard. I did that the first time and it was sort of fun until I came to a specific boss after a really, really long unskippable cutscene with the worst character ever doing monologue which was goddamn near impossible to beat on hard. I ended up restarting the game on normal because redoing the ten or so hours was easier than that stupid boss.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Man with Hat posted:

Nah, you can just wait for no MP cost to show up on the roulette wheel thingy.

If you decide to try the game for yourselves, don't loving play it on hard. I did that the first time and it was sort of fun until I came to a specific boss after a really, really long unskippable cutscene with the worst character ever doing monologue which was goddamn near impossible to beat on hard. I ended up restarting the game on normal because redoing the ten or so hours was easier than that stupid boss.

Good call on both of these points. The only way I could think of to make it totally unbeatable would to be going in with no SP or curse ring and no MP or no Fire equipped. And even with that there is a save point right before then(though you have to go through a cut scene). You'd have to be trying to make the situation come up I think.

And yeah, hard mode is basically for new game+ unless you really hate yourself. It's a real ball buster. Enemies have huge multipliers of HP and hit incredibly hard.

Also don't worry about Dumbapples too much. It's 90% Angeal loving with Zack. Angeal seems like he should have a stick up his rear end with all his dreams and honor talk but he's got quite a few smart rear end moments.

Nashun fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 18, 2016

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 03: Leviathan's Wake

So last time we left Zack was about to single handedly assault a heavily fortified Wutai military base. Seems reasonable.

Music: Patriots on a Moonlit Night

So, we have these guys. Their buddies have been flooding through the door. On the other side of the door, horrible screaming, strange gurgling noises, the smell of bacon and burnt hair. But here they are just calmly patrolling.

Zack must feel sorry for them and does not go all death from above on them like did on that train lock.

Wutai Private: enemy attack! It’s SOLDIER! Don’t let him get through!

Smacking people with a sword makes a pretty weird glowy ball on them I never fully appreciated until I saw it frozen in place.

Piece of cake! I could have done it blindfolded!

Don’t get too careless. I’ve heard that the Wutai keep a large monster for anti-SOLDIER purposes. It should be somewhere inside Fort Tamblin.

If I take it out, do you think I’ll make 1st?

It depends on the quality of the work. Your main duty is to draw the Wutai troops to you by running amok. Do that well and the director will give you a favorable evaluation.

Fun fact: Google Docs recognizes Wutai as a word.

Oh, that’ll be easy! Just leave it to me!

So this area has no random encounters in it. Everything triggers in a specific spot/when we do a thing. If you just plow straight ahead you miss out on a handy reward from Lazard that is instantaneously useful.

Click to Watch Rush Assault Limit Break

Sorry about it being a little shuddery. The emulator usually runs like butter but violently hates Rush Assault and one or two other attacks.

Soooo limit breaks and the second slot wheel. When you match the two outside wheels to the same character portrait you get what is called a Limit Verge.

Here the two outside pictures are locked and the middle picture will be rotating through. If it stops on the matching portrait we will get the actual limit break. When that happens we restore something like 10% of each of our HP/MP/AP bars and can even break our usual cap to up to 200% of our base bars.

There are ALSO the number wheels which all spin freely. Match two numbers and any materia in the corresponding slot gets leveled up. So right now 1-4. Match three numbers and that materia levels up twice. Roll triple 7’s and you level up. 5-6 are currently blanks for us even if they match. At some we’ll get more slots for materia though.

Leveling isn’t COMPLETELY random. There is a hidden experience stat you get. Each level has a minimum XP. The more XP you are past the minimum the more likely you are to spin triple 7’s. So sometimes you go half of forever without a level. I’ve also leveled up twice within 30 seconds without killing more than a standard mook.

I only have no loving idea on the mechanics to Materia leveling other than dumb luck.

Hey a returning friend that no one probably remembers from FF7, the Foulander. They showed up in the Wutai area, so at least this is consistent. Foulanders are usually my priority in a battle. Their AI is a touch smarter than a brick but they hit the hardest by far of the normal enemies here. They use basically the same Fire spell we do. It’s fairly easy to dodge, but dings you for about 100 damage. Usual cause of getting roasted by Foulanders is a Wutai trooper stunlocked you with his rifle.

As we move further into the fort killing Foulanders and Wutai troops we run across a group smart enough to attack while we don’t have control.

They are also the smartest enemies in the game and get the gently caress out of dodge while Zack takes cover.

When we try to follow them a spinning wall rotates open. An ambush! The plan is solid, but the implementation leaves something to be desired, what with Zack being a roving envoy of death incarnate.

So now the moderately hidden encounters start to show up! If we don’t check this wall we just got ambushed from we won’t get a chance to murder every single man alive in here.

Wutai Sergeant: This way! Follow me!

While we go in one way the squad of soldiers goes out the other way. I guess what we needed was a Scooby Doo chase going on.

Wutai Sergeant: Attack if you dare, SOLDIER scum! You will fall by our hands!

Wutai Sergeant: Sneaky little pest!

This marks the end of the brief segment of smart Wutai enemies.

Wutai Sergeant: Ngh! What treachery!

Click for Chain Slash Limit Break

Chain Slash is basically the generic limit you get if you matched blacked out portraits for characters we haven’t met yet on the DMW. Despite the animation having a lot of slashes it only hits once making it by far the worst of the damage dealing limit breaks. Everything else hits multiple times or multiple enemies or both.

You may have also noticed our limit breaks have a level on there! Yep, when we successfully limit break it can be levels 1-5. Once again, it is random. Higher level = more damage or longer duration of buff for some of the support ones we get.

After dispatching the latest group of cannon fodder our boss calls to give an update.

Enemy troops appear to be lurking in every corner. This fortress will not go down easily.

:downs: Thanks for the real helpful update there, boss. THIS FORT CONTAINS ENEMY SOLDIERS IN QUANTITY. THIS IS UNCALLED FOR.

It appears that way. I was just assaulted while I was checking a revolving wall.

There may be similar traps set up at the other walls. Proceed with caution.

I am sure this chest sitting right in the middle of the path and not against the wall like every other chest is safe and certainly not a trap.

My heart is broken.

Also these guys bodies are broken.

Another super secret wall a bit further in and next to big guard tower. They all have an identical layout so as long as you run near each indented section you can’t miss them.

If we check this guard tower Sergeant Nearsighted he finally notices us

Wutai Sergeant: So that’s where you are! 38th Tamblin Unit, Charge!

Apparently he missed me murdering 2 guys and some fire breathing monsters right under his tower, as well as a squad of soldiers off the side. But now he can join the fight with a few Foulanders and a second sergeant! (then swiftly die)

Lazard, I’m probably the one that gave you that intel. I literally just fought a guard from the tower. You should, presumably, be watching me do it(somehow, maybe he has a drone or something?)

Well, that makes sense. I just took out one of those towers.

you’ll have to look for the other tower. Otherwise, the enemy can easily track your position.

The other guard tower is drat near the start of the map

yada yada, feel the pride of Wutai Sergeants we will defeat you yada yada. Three more corpses. Zack is just about into one man genocide territory here.

Guys, don’t do it. Think of your families. You have too much to live for.

Wutai Sergeant: Ready! Aim! Fire!

These ones at least keep laying down gun fire.

Wutai Sergeant: End of the line, SOLDIER! Reinforcements are coming! You can’t escape!

In this case we need to avoid the current murder to get more murder to fulfill Lazard’s blood lust.

We backtrack around a corner for another spinny wall.

Wutai Sergeant: In the name of Wutai, we must halt the enemy advance here.

Wutai Private: Sir!

Wutai Sergeant: Fort Tamblin will not fall to a paltry force like SOLDIER. The enemy could be lurking anywhere.

Wutai Sergeant: SOLDIER is a formidable foe.

Hey! You just maligned SOLDIER. You could at least be consistent.

Zack is going to town on the troops behind him while he remains oblivious. At this point I’m just going with this is an alternate Metal Gear timeline and Wutai’s army is completely populated by Genome Soldiers. Zack is killing people fifteen feet behind him and NOTHING.

Wutai Sergeant: We must stand against our enemies, no matter how powerful they may be. Even if it means our lives.

The sergeant dramatically turns as he speaks this line….

Wutai Sergeant: huh?

WOLVERINES, er, SOLDIER!

Well at least that guy was moderately different from the rest of them. Moderately. Apparently I missed a spinny wall behind me so backtrack to back after the second guard tower to find it.

Three Foulanders coming at us this time. And the penultimate fight in this section(Thank god)

Well that’s pretty horrifying. As we try to go through the door to the inner sanctum of the fort three more Foulanders rush us. This time with a bit too much detail!

I was really only expecting you to get their attention. Most impressive, I must say. I’m very pleased with the results thus far. Proceed to the next objective.

So we unlocked the best reward for this but we won’t actually get it until we’re out of the fort. Lazard isn’t man enough to hand deliver it to us even after killing everyone in sight.

We’ll take a quick swing by the right side of this area to pick up some Earrings(+5 Magic, a pretty good boost at this point). The other side has a Hi-Potion or something. Nothing to write home about. I’ve played through most of the game to record it at this point and I’ve used less than 20 healing items, about 80% of them in one fight for Reasons.

And we are now back to having random encounters now that the slaughter fest….thing is over. Not really a mini-game so not sure what to call it!

After that we check out a small shrine at the base of the temple steps.

Crescent Unit Captain: That is Wutai’s guardian deity, Leviathan.

Oh god! A bunch of dudes jump in, but this time in WHITE armor.

Crescent Unit Captain: We appease the wrath of Leviathan, and smite the enemies of Wutai. Our beloved homeland has been brutally ravaged by Shinra.

From some stuff we see later I think the Sister Ray/Junon Cannon exists at this point but I’m not sure it actually got used before the war ended. Either way, Shinra has been loving them up for daring to not have Mako reactors installed and have Shinra take control.

Zack has apparently not heard about this. In a lot of ways he is a better than average protagonist, but they do really pour on the ignorance early on.

But then you attacked us without even hearing us out!

Like that. No way did Wutai start this mess. Although Shinra literally controls most of the rest of the planet and I’m sure nearly all news organizations. The average Joe is probably profoundly ignorant, but I’d expect a SOLDIER 2nd Class to know more.

Crescent Unit Captain: What do you know of the pain that we have suffered? Shinra has continually brought fear and oppression to the innocent people of Wutai! … I would like to ask you one last thing.

Crescent Unit Captain: Does it bring you joy to torture innocent people?

Crescent Unit Captain: If there is any remorse in your heart, then atone for your actions by joining our cause!

These guys are pretty understanding considering Zack just killed 50+ of their comrades.

Crescent Unit Captain: Of course, we cannot pay you much, but you can use your power in the name of justice!

is it so terrible to provide mako to people and make their lives better?

Well, when you murder them when the disagree yes.

I don’t know...But I chose to serve Shinra. Whatever happens, I have to stand by that decision.

Crescent Unit Captain: For those of us born and raised in Wutai, losing our land is the same as losing our lives. Hence, I must eliminate you, as my last duty to the land. You will now witness the wrath of the Wutai!

For all their big talk they are just the same dorks we’ve been fighting but with more HP and higher damage. That melee attack hits pretty hard now. Also there is weirdly no discernable Captain in the fight. They are all Crescent Unit Luxes.

Also not too far into the fight I rolled that. So, uh, RIP them. They have no non-physical damage. You can still get staggered while invincible though which is pretty annoying. One of the possible slot outcomes gives us Endure which negates any staggering while it is up, but it is a separate thing.

Crescent Unit Captain: As long as we breathe, we will continue to target Shinra. I promise...one day, I will have your head.

Fine, I’ll be waiting.

We really won't be seeing much of Wutai in the main story line after this chapter. The Crescent DO show up in a couple of the missions we can do at the save points though. So possibly not the last we'll see of them.

Shinra news is really on the ball. But that will be enough for now.

Next time: Future friends! Betrayal! Two actual boss fights!

Nashun fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 20, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Godo will be a boss.

That dialogue got pretty deep for a beginning of the game conversation with a red shirt.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if Godo will be a boss.

That dialogue got pretty deep for a beginning of the game conversation with a red shirt.

Crisis Core has some REALLY good Writing and Story. It's very reminiscent of another Square Enix game, 358/2 Days in how good it's story is.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, good for a game. Or rather, good for a Final Fantasy game. I, too, remember Dirge of Cerberus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Samovar posted:

Well, good for a game. Or rather, good for a Final Fantasy game. I, too, remember Dirge of Cerberus.

Eh, I'd argue Dirge of Cerberus becomes loving brilliant once Hojo shows up, but that might be entirely on account of Paul Eiding being amazing in an otherwise lovely game :allears:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd say Crisis Core averages out to "Pretty good for a JRPG" with moments ranging from "drat that's stupid" from a certain friend from Dirge of Cerberus to "This is probably my favorite Final Fantasy ending."

I am in process of going through Dark Id's Dirge LP again and drat I forgot just how :effort: the entire script of that is. I knew it was bad, but uuuugh. Crisis Core will not near that level.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 21, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of which, we have

AC: Advent Children
BC: Before Crisis
CC: Crisis Core
DC: Dirge of Cerberus

So, is there going to be an EC game? End of Crisis, maybe?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The remake's subtitle will be Eternal Cashfarming.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"If you doubt anything, BETRAY EVERYTHING!"

Way to present yourself as the better option, nameless Wutai Commander.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Glazius posted:

"If you doubt anything, BETRAY EVERYTHING!"

Way to present yourself as the better option, nameless Wutai Commander.

To be fair, even if CC doesn't quite qualify as a JRPG by itself it's based around one. That option literally ALWAYS works if the protagonist starts out as a promising young member of the largest nation/organization in the world.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
I won't have an update up tonight but should get one up sometime tomorrow afternoon because actual real life hang outs occurring! Friday should be on schedule.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 04: Mark of a Traitor

So last time we got called out as working for a soulless company engaging in terrorism and crimes against humanity. Zack is the type of guy that keeps a promise though and is ok keeping on keeping on with Shinra. Onward with murder.

But first a brief interruption.

Music: Patriots on a Moonlit Night

Click to Watch

As we approach the Totally Not a Boss arena we get stopped by a mysterious voice! Usually I wouldn’t link non-voiced clips, but this one is pretty great.

???: Three, ugly Shinra SOLDIER dudes...must PUNISHED!

And you thought this being set when Yuffie was nine would stop her from showing up.

A kid…? You shouldn’t be playing here, it’s dangerous! Go home to your parents.

Well, she may be nine but she DOES already have some ninja skills. She...somehow gets from on top of the stairs to fifteen feet behind Zack. Girls got some loving legs on her. She should join the Wutai basketball team. Show Shinra what’s what through the power of dunking and Shaq Fu.

If you insist on going any further, you’ll have a fight on your hands!

Whap! Pow! Bam! Take that, bad guy!

Say one thing for Zack. He apparently knows how to deal with pre-teen ninja? Well, at least our main character isn’t a child murderer.

Finally. Justice has been served. And now to continue our murder spree:. *whistles and walks away spinning our sword covered with the blood of her countrymen towards the boss fight*

Boy oh boy...You gotta admire that energy… Back to work I guess.

Yuffie will never show up again in the main story. This is definitely not the last of her though. She pops up a few times in all the extra missions(and relentlessly trolls Zack).

[End Video]

Click to Watch

Nice place you got here. Sure would be a SHAME if something happened to it.

Jeeze it’s dusty in here. You guys should clean up more--

Oh god! What were you two even doing up there. Had they just been hanging out up there the whole half hour Zack has been cutting through the fort? Got some endurance on these suckers.

Zack is always quick on the uptake.

Music: Last Order - Crisis Mix (from ''LAST ORDER FFVII'')

Meet Vajradhara Wu and Vajradhara Tai, our first real bosses! These bad boys come with about 2900 HP each and a crippling weakness to magic. The Crescent squad each had around 1000 HP so we have a bit of punching ahead of us comparatively.

They also come with our first boss super. So each boss will usually have several attacks, even a handful of named ones. We can dodge or block those just fine. But when they drop their super the pain train is a coming and there is nothing you can do about it but take your medicine.

Everything gets stronger if you go back to back first.

And then they chuck a pair of weapons each larger than Zack at him.

Well, all things considered that could have gone worse. Though it is just under 20% of our HP.

Blizzard has the POTENTIAL to just chain stun one of these chucklefucks but the second one will be more than willing to smash your head in for 100 damage if you don’t stay on your toes.

The spirit of Angeal couldn’t be assed to give us a hand out here and limit break but we do get our first level up of the game :toot: Status: Still bleeding grievously and about 8 HP over instant death from Twin Tomahawk if it happened again.

Zack frantically rolls out of the way and gets some breathing room again.

The spirit of ??? comes through though and we get to follow up a solid Blizzard hit with Chain Slash for nearly 1000 damage off a crit.

Thanks to that no MP from around when I healed up Blizzard continues to be the weapon of choice despite my measly max MP. Eventually I do resort to stabbing them in the rear end because they are slow as hell to maneuver. Our rewards are some HP up and Vit Up materia. At least got something for materia slot 4 now until something fancier comes along.

[End Video]

Click to Watch

Good work. Now, get out of there quickly. There’s only 5 minutes until detonation.

Understood! Director Lazard! Are you watching?

Without waiting for a response Zack books it for the door. Also if Lazard is in here watching maybe he SHOULD be deploying on SOLDIER ops because he’s the real ninja.

Oh poo poo one of our buddies is back. ALSO. WHERE THE gently caress WAS HE AND HOW DID ZACK NOT NOTICE HIM RETURNING TO THE CEILING? I guess there is option B of it is a third one who just spent the entire time watching his two buddies get killed just so he could drop down at a dramatic moment. All while Zack didn’t check the ceiling for more enemies.

It is probably actually option B. The first one of this coloration had a giant Axe, not a flail. I guess giant flails could just be hidden around the place.

Yeah because you just spent your time gloating and jacking your jaw instead of getting the gently caress out.

Zack manages to avoid the flail.

Then dodge rolls like an expert at Crisis Core behind the Vajradhara but then wastes the opportunity by posing and flashily displaying his sword handling skill

And then one shots it with a flying leap attack.

Oh did I say one shot it? I meant to say fail to realize it’s not dead and get flung across the room into a pillar.

The Cut Scene Rules are engaged so this thoroughly wrecks Zack’s poo poo.

Well, nice knowing you again. When did you meet Cloud by the way?

It’s Lazard! Lazard came to our rescue instead of just watching.

...Or Angeal. Apparently he was ALSO just loving around in this room hiding in the ceiling with the Wutai Anti-SHINRA weapons. I guess they had some sort of deal going on to not fight while hanging out up there.

That’s one more you owe me.

Uh, yeah?

Well, at least Zack doesn’t make pointless arguments against facts.

You’re a little more important than my sword.

Thanks.

[End Video]

You didn’t have to come.

I know he’s the director, but he probably really could have chosen more suitable attire for being out in the field.

SOLDIER 2nd Class Zack.

Sir!

You performed your duties admirably at Fort Tamblin. I saw it with my own eyes.

Or maybe he is just so good he can wear a suit and still be unseen by the enemies. I will maintain my earlier claim of Ninja Lazard.

Frankly, my evaluation of you is…

This depends upon how good we did killing troops during the initial fort assault. Lazard is now concerned about the beast he has unleashed on the world.

I was taken aback myself. You really have grown into a fine warrior.

Your bravery during the Wutai war will be remembered for generations to come. It seems your dream of becoming a hero has already come true.

Zack is going to be INSUFFERABLE after this.

Luckily Angeal is here to keep his ego SLIGHTLY in line.

Also I’m a god damned idiot and didn’t have Fraps set to not show the cursor so say hello to it for about 4 screenshots.

Ha ha, I suppose you’re right. Zack, I hope you’ll continue to excel.

So this is the best reward. 50% reduction to fire damage! It is going to be handy super soon. You should really put it on as soon as you get control. Also that Materia we picked up. Reward below that is a Phoenix Down(Basically a one shot Reraise and obscenely rare in most of the game), then Bulletproof Vest(+Vit accessory), and the worst is an Elixir.

Now, let’s hurry. Sephiroth is waiting.

Sephiroth!? THe SOLDIER hero?

Angeal and Lazard just ignore Zack’s fanboying and start heading off to the rendezvous point.

Music: Encounter

Some guys that are way more ninja than all the Wutai soldiers we’ve met so far complete their gymnastic act and surround Zack out of nowhere.

So far these are just ??? No idea who we are fighting! We are however hopped up on the idea of meeting Sephiroth so we are more likely to roll him on the DMW.

We fail to limit break off MYSTERIOUS PERSON but we do get level up #2!

??? Helpfully demonstrates why Blizzard is terrible by using it against me while I was already dodge rolling. These guys are a bit more aggressive than the standard Wutai troop but still not very scary and don’t even have the annoying gun stun. Their base melee is about a 30 damage hit.

Zack! Come on!

Apparently Angeal had a squad of his own to deal with while we fought ours.

And more decide to join in on the dying action going on today.

Take the director to a safe place.

Then contact Sephiroth.

Zack is more than enough. Now, go.

Follow me, Director.

Run away! Run away!

Apparently some Shinra Troops were just hanging out in the forest. Well, at least we have someone to pawn Lazard off on.

Infantryman: Thank goodness you’re safe, Director Lazard.

I should be fine now, Zack. Go and assist Angeal!

Control is ours once again. I go ahead and slot the Fire Armlet in for the Bronze Bangle. The damage reduction is way more important than the health and that bonus magic from the Earring is quite nice. HP Up goes in our open materia slot and VIT Up kicks out Fire because that is useless ahead.

Angeal!

Well, we at least know he was here!

Apparently didn’t notice that on the first six he saw down.

While he checks that out though a fiery Materia appears hovering in the air in front of him.

Music: The Summoned (from FFVII ''Those Who Fight Further'')

Boss fight time!

Click to Watch

Ifrit fight go! So as long as we aren’t the ones using them Summons can show up and hang around and be an exciting boss fight for you while you seem to be contained in a pocket universe or something. When WE get them later they do their big flashy attack and gently caress off. No respect for Zack I guess.

Ifrit largely focuses on getting in close with hammer hand leaps and punching and/or stomping the poo poo out of you. Also I already missed with Blizzard. It hits even harder than vs. Vajradharas but Ifrit moves around a ton and attacks fast when up close.

The successes are worth it though and do about 4 melees worth of damage.

Ifrit knows some sweet kung fu action but all of his attacks are fire elemental and we can pretty much just shrug them off. Thanks, boss!

His AOE down slam usually gives enough warning to run or roll out of harms way.

He can swing a few times in a row though when in close and it’s pretty easy to gently caress up your timing.

Man my cure is already kind of crappy. Less than half my HP healed!

After a bit Ifrit has had enough of my bullshit dodging and tossing snowballs at him

Summons get full on FMVs for their special attacks to show you how thoroughly you are about to get owned.

Even with the Fire resist it hits me for about 250 damage. There is a REAL possibility of that just wrecking your poo poo if you didn’t kill everyone and were unaware Ifrit can just pop off for over half your health.

Once in a blue moon he’ll fire this off.

Even up close the three fireballs are really easy to dodge and only hit for 15 damage each. It is by far his biggest :shrug: of an attack.

Once my MP is a bit low I just start stabbing him in the face. It works reasonably well but you WILL get punched a bunch doing this.

More Hellfire!

Soon enough though he drops and gets us another piece of our VR opening loadout.

[End Video]

Click to Watch through end of chapter

Zack apparently did not learn his lesson about putting his back to enemies that still have a rendered model on screen after combat.

Ifrit’s back and he’s mad!

Zack apparently took off his Fire accessory before the cutscene kicked in.

But wait! What is this!?

Hey, it’s our old buddy, not-VR Sephiroth.

Sephiroth decides the best way to deal with an angry elemental is to cut him right through the privates with Masamune.

Nothing but the Materia is left after one blow from the SOLDIER Hero.

...Is not a Materia we will be seeing in this game.

Music: The Burden of Truth

Congrats, Zack! You’ve been saved by ⅔ of the most famous Soldier 1sts in one day.

It was Old Man Jenkins the entire time!

The missing SOLDIER 1st Class?

Or Genesis. So the third most famous Soldier 1st is trying to kill you. You win some, you lose some.

….Or his clone is trying to kill you? Well this suddenly got weird.

Copy? A human copy?

I thought he was fighting around here…

What? Wait, what does that mean?

As much as it is an emotional outburst, Zack isn’t completely crazy for reacting like that. Angeal’s entire personality has been dreams and honor!

I know what kind of guy Angeal is! And he’d never do that!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
:allears: Oh, Yuffie, you make sidequesting (sorta) fun. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yuffie continues her tradition of being the best character.

And of course our old pal Sephiroth can't stand people who set fires irresponsibly.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I don't know why people are so obsessed with cloning super soldiers in these games if the clones just become wimpy cannon fodder- see Genome soldiers, Genesis clones...

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Glad to see CC started off with getting the obligatory Sephroth/Roaring Inferno shipping out of the way early.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Yep. That boss fight just comes right the gently caress out of nowhere. (I may have gotten wrecked by Ifrit the first time I fought him. loving Hellfire :argh:)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't know why people are so obsessed with cloning super soldiers in these games if the clones just become wimpy cannon fodder- see Genome soldiers, Genesis clones...
It's the inverse-square law of anime. One of a thing is a hundred times better than one hundred of that thing combined.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Sindai posted:

It's the inverse-square law of anime. One of a thing is a hundred times better than one hundred of that thing combined.

Also see: How Ninjas worked in the 80s and 90s.

Speaking of, I forgot to mention it but I think that was legitimately the only time I've ever actually laughed at Yuffie doing something. It only took Zack doing something to do it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The weirdest part about any cloning story is the part where they unfailingly give all the clones identical haircuts to the original, even if they're meant to be wearing masks or something. I suppose they can't risk the possibility that their true power comes from their hair.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 26, 2016

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
The IDEA behind trying to duplicate your super soldier isn't entirely crazy. Especially in a situation like Sephiroth where he is(By the standards of FF7 on its own) an order of magnitude above everyone else. Mechanically only the party catches up to him in power, and more canonically Cloud is literally the only person to match him in power. But a Sephiroth takes 20 years+ to make and god knows how many failures on the road there or if they just get hit by a bus at age 15 or something and die. Being able to copy even a good chunk of that raw potential onto someone that is already grown up and in your organization would be pretty sweet. Then you realize it's loving Hojo trying to do the job and somehow he is Shinra's most talented scientist and also batshit crazy.

It's not as logical in Metal Gear where you could take 1/10 the money and get 10x the soldiers that are 90% of Big Boss. Big Boss/Solid Snake are good, but not so outstandingly so nobody can touch them. The true power is in eating Rations. If everyone else could do that they'd be doomed.

Also I had four videos get eaten randomly, so that's pretty sweet. They aren't in my recycle bin which has everything else from the LP I've nuked or anywhere else on my hard drive. :iiam: luckily I have six thousand saves and it isn't too long of a chunk.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nashun posted:

The IDEA behind trying to duplicate your super soldier isn't entirely crazy. Especially in a situation like Sephiroth where he is(By the standards of FF7 on its own) an order of magnitude above everyone else. Mechanically only the party catches up to him in power, and more canonically Cloud is literally the only person to match him in power. But a Sephiroth takes 20 years+ to make and god knows how many failures on the road there or if they just get hit by a bus at age 15 or something and die.

This is someone's actual backstory in the VII universe, isn't it? :allears:

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
I think Palmer is the only character to canonically be defeated by getting run over by a truck/bus/car in the FF7 universe!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Nashun posted:

It's not as logical in Metal Gear where you could take 1/10 the money and get 10x the soldiers that are 90% of Big Boss. Big Boss/Solid Snake are good, but not so outstandingly so nobody can touch them. The true power is in eating Rations. If everyone else could do that they'd be doomed.

You just used "logic" and "Metal Gear" in the same sentence. Kojima will now be waiting to jump out of a closet and CQC you out the nearest window onto a landmine tonight.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I like to think Angeal is from the Fire Emblem universe and his Buster Sword only has 5/45 uses left. Prf weapons don't get tossed around willy nilly! :v:

That aside, I enjoyed the hell out of this game and Zack is a lot of fun to watch. Looking forward to the rest!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nashun posted:

Also I had four videos get eaten randomly, so that's pretty sweet. They aren't in my recycle bin which has everything else from the LP I've nuked or anywhere else on my hard drive. :iiam: luckily I have six thousand saves and it isn't too long of a chunk.

Are you running Windows 7? If so, in Explorer, right click on the folder your videos are supposed to be in, select Properties, go to the Previous Versions tab, and if it has any entries, try restoring the one closest to after you made the videos.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nashun posted:

I think Palmer is the only character to canonically be defeated by getting run over by a truck/bus/car in the FF7 universe!

He also A) survives the impact, and B) is so insignificant he's been apparently un-person'd out of the FFVII EU, sooooo... :confuoot:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Alkarl posted:

I like to think Angeal is from the Fire Emblem universe and his Buster Sword only has 5/45 uses left. Prf weapons don't get tossed around willy nilly! :v:

That aside, I enjoyed the hell out of this game and Zack is a lot of fun to watch. Looking forward to the rest!

Doesn't apply anymore. Weapons no longer have weapon uses, instead they either give or remove stats, inverse the weapon triangle, hell, Silver Weapons lower STR DEF and RES by 5 after you use them for 5 turns.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

I hope you guys are prepared.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, fangirls. Just what this game was missing.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 05: Fangirls

Well, last mission had kind of mixed results. Good news: Zack has single handedly crushed the fighting spirit of Wutai. There is some ongoing resistance based around the Crescents but nothing too major. Bad News: Mr. Dreams and Honor has likely hosed off with Genesis to do who knows what.

Click to Watch

It’s been a month now! Sephiroth’s got it all wrong, too! Lumping Angeal together with Genesis! Genesis is a deserter who took a bunch of 2nds and 3rds with him! He used his copies to attack us!

Holy poo poo, Zack. Cool it on the exclamation points.

Angeal would never condone something like that! He valued his SOLDIER honor more than anyone else!

Angeal! Just come back, please!

Congratulations to Zack for winning the most exclamation marks in dialogue in a row in a JRPG award.

Squats!

Music: The Mako City

???: SOLDIER 2nd Class Zack?

Apparently his first name is good enough for official conversations.

That would be me. Who is this?

???: Director Lazard wants to see you. Go to the briefing room.

Hey! Wait! Who was that?

Any word on Angeal?

*shakes head* He hasn’t contacted his family either.

Argh(well, approximately. He just kind of sighs/exhales/grunts) So what’s this about?

I want you to go to the hometown of our missing SOLDIER 1st Class, Genesis.

Huh?

That one is all on him and actual dialogue. Zack, you are making it harder on me to make excuses for your thick headedness.

According to the parents they’ve had no contact with Genesis whatsoever.

Why?

:downs:

I want you to go and investigate. He will go with you.

Hey our mysterious phone caller. I don’t know why he had to be such a dick during it.

This job is looking really gloomy…

Let me know when you’re ready to go.

Add one more the the limit break party!

Zack is the type of unprofessional jerk that doesn’t turn off his ringer even when going to meetings with basically his most senior boss besides President Shinra himself.

Hello?

Yeah, this is Kunsel. Did you read my mail?

Not yet. I’ll read it later. I’m kinda in a meeting right now--

Ah, gotcha. Hey, can I talk to you after that, though?

Well, keep it short I guess. I haven’t got much time.

Yeah, it’ll be short. I’ll be right outside the briefing room.

Well, I’m glad you are fond of Angeal as well. But I really feel this could have waited until later. Well, at least Kunsel has Zack’s back.

Something I totally forgot about until now! From our main menu we can actually access shops even in the middle of missions. We’ll pick up some more later, but for now we only have the basic Shinra Building Shop. I already have a couple of the base potion/ether/somas but I do pick up 3 remedies.

And we get some Thunder materia to round out our main elements. It’s probably the most handy of the base three. Robots are pretty common enemies and it also can hit more than one person at once even at its base level.

SOLDIER 2nd Class: We don’t get notified when it’s been restocked. (rumor has it that it’s to cut costs.)

I’m bothered that another SOLDIER 2nd Class is wearing a different color purple than Zack is.

What do you say we go down to Sector 8? You can go to Sector 8 through the first floor entrance as well. Let’s head over. You should always go do as much as you can before an assignment, so you have no regrets.

And so without the barest of protest Zack completely shirks his duty and goes to hang out downtown and leaving the Director of SOLDIER and a senior Turk waiting.

I guess we should split up here.

Kunsel, you fucker. I thought we were friends. Drag me down here, probably getting me reprimanded, then just ditch me!

You do have an assignment waiting, don’t you? Wouldn’t it be quicker to go around just by yourself? The Shinra Building is straight ahead that way when you’re ready to go back.

So now we are free to gently caress around in Midgar Sector 8(Which happens to be where we fought VR Behemoth and where Cloud met Aeris after the first bombing). We have a whole bunch of side missions to unlock and some other...tasks that should be completed for completion’s sake.

Enjoy basically all three female generic NPC models in one spot basically!

I sure am. Zack’s the name. Nice to meet you!

Sephiroth Fan: Zack? Never heard of you. You must be SOLDIER second-rate.

:iceburn:

Angeal Fan: We were just talking about who the greatest SOLDIER operative might be. I think it’s Angeal. That air of solemnity about him...And he’s thrifty to boot! He’s absolutely charming.

Sephiroth Fan: If we’re talking about the greatest in SOLDIER, I can’t think of anyone greater than Sephiroth.

:uhaul:

Genesis Fan: Both of you! What are you talking about? It’s got to be Genesis! There’s no one greater in SOLDIER!

I’m honestly pretty amused by the goofy rear end fangirls. It’s surprisingly self-aware for a Square title to poke fun at all the weirdo super fans. These women are all 100% bonkers in their own way as we’ll see in later chapters.

Genesis Fan: We have a huge sponsor behind us. And we sell lots of merchandise, too. So what do you think? Would you like to join Red Leather?

I feel so dirty right now.

Genesis Fan: New members are automatically entered into a chance to win a replica of Genesis’s rapier. I think you just got your first mail from the club.

So yeah we can sign up for the fan clubs of the other main SOLDIER 1st Class. We’ll periodically get newsletters telling us dumb facts about them as the game goes on. It also unlocks a few random scenes with these upstanding women later.

Sephiroth Fan: Which explains why he has so many fan clubs, from big to small, from the casual to the devoted. The key is to look for the one that suits you.

We can’t actually join a Sephiroth club right now. His is actually missable a few chapters from now.

Angeal Fan: If you join now, you’ll get our recent newsletters that include bits of Angeal’s official profile!

I feel slightly less dirty.

Angeal Fan: Congratulations! Welcome to Keepers of Honor! And there you go. You’re first newsletter.

There is one more fan club tucked away in an alley in Loveless Ave. Yes, they named an entire area after a play going on in a theater there. Also: Loveless :argh:

Genesis Fan: It’s a fascinating tale that’s even been made into a successful stage production every year. I’m a member of the Study Group, one of the Genesis fan clubs. We study LOVELESS in order to gain deeper insight into the work that Genesis loves so much. Our members used to be in Red Leather, the other Genesis fan club.

Genesis Fan: Would you like to join the Study Group and learn how truly wonderful LOVELESS is?

Uuuuuugh fine. I’m only doing this for the people though.

Genesis Fan:Congratulations! You have now been accepted as a fellow worshipper of LOVELESS. Oh! I think you just got a mail. Why don’t you take a look at it?

We should all recall our great and wonderful friend Cid Highwind saw LOVELESS once and here are his thoughts on it.

Cid Highwind posted:

"I did, once, when I was interviewing to be a pilot in Midgar. I thought it would put me to sleep, and it did. Near the end, the guy next to me woke me up saying my snoring was too loud. All I remember is the end: the sister of the lead tells her lover 'I'll come back, even if you've moved on, because I know you'll be waiting.'"

I stand with Cid Highwind. Thanks for defending me years before Crisis Core ever existed.

Alright. Enough fanclub nonsense for now.

Captain: I don’t recognize you from SOLDIER. What business do you have here?

Huh? Well, no business, actually…

Captain: It is the duty of the 18th Squad in Shinra’s Security Department to patrol the streets of Sector 8.

I’m not really curious about how Shinra’s army is laid out. There is no reason whatsoever in a modern-ish army to have an organization that has 18+ squads in one unit. I guess it could be a Squadron since a Captain runs it?

Woah! Take it easy there.

Captain: This is the perfect opportunity for me to tell you something. Midgar does not need SOLDIER.

What?

Captain: Whose job is it to take lost children to their mothers? Whose job is it to catch the petty crooks who steal small change from vending machines?

He gets a super dramatic zoom while saying the last line. It’s pretty fantastic.

And I can see that you’re, uh, doing fine work.

Captain: Hmph. That’s as cocky as you’re going to be. We’ll be holding a joint training session soon. Security versus SOLDIER. We’ll see who the true combat elites are.

Well, I feel sorry for that guys underlings. That unlocks another side quest line. This one is important because of its reward which is relevant sometime in chapter 5 I think. We’ll get back to it around then. For now we have pretty much scooped up the important stuff in Sector 8 so let’s head back to Shinra Tower.

Receptionist: Let me know if you need anything. (Hey, he’s pretty cute)

Receptionist: Please come see me anytime you have questions concerning the Shinra Building.

She can tell us if we have to meet up with anyone to advance the plot basically. Right now she tells us we have a meeting with Tseng in the briefing room. Woooops. Well, i’m sure he won’t be annoyed.

Employee: There is a fee for the general public, but they are free to SOLDIER members and Shinra troops. Would you like to try a bottle, sir?

A potion, eh? You bet I’ll drink it!

Or if we want to pass:

Naw, they taste funny…

This lady is your best friend in Shinra tower.

The potion heals you back up to full and gives you Raise. So if you die in battle you’ll get back up once with full HP. Phoenix Down are super scarce main game so that’s a nice gift. Most of your side missioning will probably be done from here thanks to the unending healing. Be aware though that if your HP/MP/AP is above your normal cap from Limit Breaks this drops it down to its normal full point.

Man: Thank goodness the young lady at the Information Center was able to help me. You can count on the Shinra Company to offer service with a smile!

:crossarms: This guy HAS to be a shill that stands around to make Shinra look good.

We can also check out the exhibition which has a lot of stuff that should be familiar.

Cid is such an old bastard by FF standards he already was a badass pilot at this point in time.

Oh for the days when motorcycles didn’t have 14 swords attached to them and drive on ceilings.

Employee: This is a conceptual model of the Shinra No. 26 rocket. Shinra has concentrated all its science into the Space Development Department for this project. Once it’s completed, all that would be left is to launch it into outer space.

Tragically this and one more guy hanging out by the rocket later on is about the extent we’ll see of Cid this game.

Weren’t you in the middle of an assignment? You should get going.

… Goddamnit Kunsel.

The Turks guy is waiting for you in the briefing room.

We’ll take a quick swing by the Materia room before heading out. Didn’t get a chance to check there earlier.

Researcher: I was transferred here around the time Director Lazard came to head SOLDIER. Actually, I guess you could say that I was headhunted from the Science Department.

Or banished away. I get the impression this is kind of the backwater of Shinra R&D.

Researcher: A mako stone is crystallized materia made of concentrated mako energy. By itself, it doesn’t have the same effect as materia, but we can process it into materia. SOLDIER members occasionally go out excavating for them. Maybe you should, too.

And our final side mission set unlocked for now. We can go out and get some raw materia and they’ll supply us with some new ones. I will do these missions shortly then forget to turn them in for several chapters woops.

Researcher: That’s because special conditions must be met, in addition to the long years it takes to form. Most of the materia out there was generated by either us or the Arms Development Department.

And now an important side mission! Rematch with Ifrit. I’m not going to show you because Ifrit is exactly the same except this time I manage to chain stun him with Blizzard until he dies in about 30 seconds.

Just picture this forever.

:toot: This isn’t normal equippable materia.

Instead Ifrit is unlocked as a possible Limit Break. So now that we have a Summon there is a small chance that while a Limit Verge spin is going(the full screen one) that it will switch to the Summon Slots and we can get one of those.

But that will be good for now! Next time we head to Banora to see the glorious home of dumbapples.

Nashun fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I think the biggest disappointment in this game is that, for all everyone talks about them, no one says the line 'how do you like dumbapples'.

Zack: "Hey Angeal, you like apples?"
Angeal: "Yeah"

*Zack holds up Angeal Fangirl's phone number*

Zack: "How do you like DUMBAPPLES?"

:rimshot:

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 27, 2016

• Locked thread