Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You misspelled Sephiroth a few times around the fangirl section.

Also

Nashun posted:

Sephioroth Fan: Zack? Never heard of you. You must be SOLDIER second-rate.

That's a pretty sick burn, but wouldn't that basically be like poo poo talking an infantryman outside of a military base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You misspelled Sephiroth a few times around the fangirl section.

Also

That's a pretty sick burn, but wouldn't that basically be like poo poo talking an infantryman outside of a military base?

Thanks. Got 'em fixed. There apparently USED to be a transcript of the US version but the site it was on got abandoned and apparently no one else had bothered to make a copy of it ever so having to transcribe everything by hand. Screwed up the first time and then copy pasted it!

And yeah. For how much people know that Shinra does not gently caress around they get a lot of abuse piled on them. There are a few other random schmucks around and at least one of them is like "ARGH FASCISTS" and talks about how we're killing the planet. Zack is also the chillest member of SOLDIER though as will be proven by the amount of abuse piled on him by children in the future.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nashun posted:

Thanks. Got 'em fixed. There apparently USED to be a transcript of the US version but the site it was on got abandoned and apparently no one else had bothered to make a copy of it ever so having to transcribe everything by hand. Screwed up the first time and then copy pasted it!

What about this one?

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

It's a translation of the Japanese script, not the actual US script. It's kind of in the right neighborhood but skews off a fair deal from what the actual US text is.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
I liked the jokes about the fan clubs, also Cid has it right about LOVELESS.
BTW glad to see this game let's played, great work so far.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know how to feel about the fan clubs. Something about them feels way too... manufactured. Like they were started by Shinra PR rather than by actual people.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

I don't know how to feel about the fan clubs. Something about them feels way too... manufactured. Like they were started by Shinra PR rather than by actual people.

This is all just an elaborate attempt by Lazard to throw shade at Zack again.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is all just an elaborate attempt by Lazard to throw shade at Zack again.

It is actually. You see, every FFVII iteration, retelling, and spin-off, is just one circuitous burn on Zack. Even in the main game, where an even bigger idiot that only thinks he's even 1/10th as cool as Zack actually gets to kill Sephiroth while Zack is reduced to being some ghost in a mako stream or whatever.

Everything that ever happens in any FFVII game is just another setting on a lever that Lazard has in his office that ranges from "insult Zack" to "spit on Zack's corpse", and if Lazard had his way he'd just spend the day seeing how quickly he could throw it between max and min throttle.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I love that each combat ends with "CONFLICT RESOLVED!" as if there was some negotiation or other diplomacy solving problems, rather than a single man slaughtering dozens upon dozens of soldiers trying to defend their homeland.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
The important thing I've learned while getting screenshots for tomorrow's update is that Crisis Core has some tracks that sound pretty awesome at 2x speed. I might have to put together a few of these in a bonus update or something.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 06: Burdens

I think we have all had ABOUT as much fangirl time as we can handle for now, so let’s get on with this mission absolutely no one is thrilled about.

Click to Watch

A routine job, right? No sweat!

I wonder...Originally, Sephiroth was assigned to this mission. That means it’s a top-priority matter.

And Sephiroth?

Refusing to go apparently.

Well, I for one would find it hard to get too bossy on a guy that could probably wipe most of my organization off the map. Sephiroth, Angeal, and Genesis are the cream of the crop as far as combat prowess goes in SOLDIER and the other two hosed off so there is no one that could really force a point.

Why don’t you say that to his face?

Uh, no thanks!

-End VIdeo-

Music: Wandering on a Sunny Afternoon

Hey those trees look familiar from a flashback in. Crisis Core really give no truck about getting from point A to point B. I think about the only time we make a journey of any distance on camera is about the very end.

Weird looking trees.

AKA dumbapples.

I went back to check. They never actually explicitly told Zack they were going to Banora. Just Genesis’ hometown. Apparently Shinra is really, really against properly briefing their soldiers before they do anything.

Angeal’s hometown?

That is correct. Genesis and Angeal have known each other for a long time.

Elaboration is not allowed however because it’s more of the Genesis copies from the end of Wutai! We’ll be seeing a lot of flavors of these dorks so you better get used to it. Some are cooler(?) that others including some truly outrageous weapons.

We also now know they are G-Assassins. At least this variant. I don’t actually think any of the copy variants uses a sword similar to Genesis’ weirdly enough. Maybe one of the special ones later on?

So they are here. We haven’t seen any of the townspeople. They may have taken control of the entire town. When genesis deserted, he took a large arsenal of weapons with him. The President’s orders are to retrieve or destroy these weapons immediately upon discovery.

Leave it to me!

I’m not sure if Kunsel is that good or Shinra is that bad(probably the latter). But he is a trove of insider information. There is definitely more than meets the eye about this nice little town!

New enemy! Guard hounds! Probably most notable from being around in the boss fight vs. Rufus on the top of Shinra Tower post breakout. They...don’t do anything really notable. I think later versions can drain life you on one of their melees? These guys just chomp you a bit though.

Bringing our new Thunder materia for a spin. We’ll have robots on and off for the rest of this mission and Blizzard is awful vs. G Assassins because of how much they bounce around so it sits out. Fire armlet is out, +Vit Bulletproof Vest and HP up are in!

Click to Watch. Recommended for the ridiculous scene start if not the mid-boss itself.

Music: Controlling the Iron Beast
This seems like a good time to realize that Thunder is a good option. You can actually see this guy and a save point with plenty of room to go OH HEY.

Two more G-Assassins pop into existence when we get close.

Zack gives #1 the mighty boot despite me not having that command materia equipped.

#2 just gets gutted the old fashioned way before #1 joins him after unwisely getting back up.

ROBOT VISION. This is serious now.

Well it would be if Zack couldn’t just slice Bullet Bills in half. I bet Mario wishes he had that ability.

Cool guys never look at explosions.

The President won’t be disappointed!

Meet the Guard Spider! The older, less cool brother of the Guard Scorpion. Although this one doesn’t have confusing translation issues.

Mainly this fight involves shooting lightning for 500 damage and dodging bullets. He’s absurdly weak to Thunder. With no magic boost and level 1 Thunder he eats it for twice what a critical melee can do.

When he gets real mad he busts out the EM Field. This thing can really do a number on you.

Here is me screwing up the timing on an attack sequence. Usually you can stab it in the back 4 times then immediately block to negate 80% of the damage. If you accidentally hit the 5th attack though or just start attacking during the wrong part of his sequence you can’t get away. Block doesn’t move cancel and dodge doesn’t kick you back far enough. Then you get hit six times for thirty damage each.

WELCOME TO DIE. I have been super lucky on DMW rolls this game.

If you see the Spider jump like this get the hell out of dodge.

It blasts a Spider Web out of its rear end and that inflicts you with Stop on hit. Stop is NOT to be messed around with in this game. About the only thing worse than Stop is instant death and sometimes the two are interchangeable. You will just stand there and get beat on and there is nothing you can do about it unless the DMW comes up in your favor. Versus one guy it’s usually not awful, but there are some enemies that move in packs with it and that is a straight up death sentence.

Soon enough he keels over from overloading and stabs to the spinneret and we get a Power Attack materia for our trouble. Power Attack is pretty meh. It has a chance to Stun and has a bit of a damage boost, but it has a huge swing up time where you can get interrupted. There are other similar, but better attacks later.

-End Video-

Click to Watch
Music: Burden of Truth

A Genesis copy.

Where did you hear that?

Sephiroth said it.

It apparently allows Genesis’s abilities and traits to be transplanted...to SOLDIER members...and monsters.

One thing I will give Crisis Core is that the whole clone business from FF7 gets cleaned up significantly. If you missed the extra scene in the Shinra manor it was never entirely clear if Cloud was Cloud but hosed up, an actual for real clone/gene splice monster of Sephiroth, or something else.

Here we straight up have some Genome Soldier poo poo going. Also all those 2nd and 3rds Genesis made off with? Uh, yeeeeeah. We won’t be seeing them in normal shape any time soon.

Zack has learned after being chumped twice in a row by bosses he thought he defeated. Character growth.

Zack, stop playing around. We have to hurry.

And Tseng gives him poo poo for it. loving Turks. You don’t know what we’ve been through.

No sign of townspeople. Let’s check the houses.

Music: Theme of CRISIS CORE ''Under the Apple Tree''

This is Genesis’s home. His parents are wealthy landowners.

Dramatic memories!

They weren’t mere acquaintances. They grew up together and were best friends.

So Genesis deserts and gets his best friend Angeal to join him...is that it?

Sephiroth believes that’s the case.

There. A gravestone. Still very new. Zack, go find Angeal’s house. I’ll check the grave.

Someone has to do it.

Must be rough.

Oh that Tseng. Always joking over fresh graves in a freshly depopulated town.

-End Video-

Be careful, the area may already be under the enemy’s control.

We snag a Hi-Potion from next to Tseng and head down into the town proper. Well, all 4 houses of town proper.

...I have no idea! I’ll just have to check them all.

Maybe now’s not the best time. I’ll check it out later.

So scattered around Banora there are six of these little mako fountains. At present they don’t do diddly but we want to examine them all for later purposes.

And this area is indeed already under their control! Guard Hounds and G-Assassins are now working together.

No limit break but my Cure did level up and that’s always good news since I complained about how anemic it was last time.

And this time we do manage to limit break off a TOTALLY UNIDENTIFIABLE PERSON and level up :toot:

Mako fountain two is towards a currently blocked zone exit.

Three is by the woodpile of the third non-Genesis house. Somewhere around now I think I did some side missions POSSIBLY getting a item from one of them that grants me a third accessory slot. However that video is lost to time so until I see my equipment in a later video i’m not sure.

However it is time to check out Angeal’s house which is the middle one on this side.

Click to Watch

Well, I don’t know what I expected in here but that wasn’t it.

???: Can I help you?

Uh, greetings ma’am. Are you Angeal’s mother?

This is really not going anywhere that was on my itinerary.

Excuse me?

My son wrote to me once about you. Zero attention span, restless as a little puppy.

You know. That raises a LOT of questions when combined with our Fanclub e-mail about Angeal.

Music: The Burdened

Up until now it has been silence behind the voices.

You’re not...here together with Genesis, are you?

No, I’m not. Don’t worry.

What is happening with my son?

I’m not really sure.

And they proceeded to take the lives of many townspeople.

Is Angeal…?

He came here. But, he left his sword and went off somewhere.

I see...no wonder… He never uses this sword. Really. Ever.

I could be wrong here. But, uh, I’m really not getting good vibes about someone leaving a physical embodiment of their family’s honor then loving off with a literal mass murderer. Well. A literal mass murderer that isn’t a protagonist.

Don’t be concerned. Genesis...cannot harm me.

-End Video-

Well that certainly took a dark turn. Well, why don’t we at least check out the house before leaving.

Music: Wandering on a Sunny Afternoon
I’m mainly posting this again because seriously why the gently caress do you switch back to this cheerful little song after that scene. Just leave The Burdened playing in the background until we leave.

When Angeal joined Shinra..

We had to borrow a lot of money to have it made, and then...While fervently trying to return all the money, my husband succumbed to fatigue.

:gonk: Jesus maybe we shouldn’t have looked around this house. At least that helps explain why Angeal is such a skinflint.

Also this makes Cloud’s use of the Buster sword in FF7 hilarious in the most awful way. Angeal’s dad buys this for him, dies paying it off. Angeal views it as his honor. Somehow we know it ends up with Zack who can appreciate what it means. Cloud ends up with it rotting in his gear box after being replaced by a sword he literally stole from another SOLDIER.

Also flag this scene in your memory because we need to briefly mention it several chapters from now briefly. We’ll see if I can remember that long.

Well don’t I just feel even more awful. Way to just pile that one on Square.

Maybe some family photos will be more cheerful.

And there’s that Buster Sword...Here’s a family picture. Look at Angeal, showing off that Buster Sword again. This must be Angeal’s father. He looks as serious as I imagined him. Baby picture! This is Angeal!? Aww, how adorable… Now, these two little runts must be Angeal and..Genesis…

Well, that’s enough being kicked in the teeth for one day. Next time we finish up chapter 3 I finally meet the most hated man of all the FF7 extended universe!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So Genesis is Agent Smith or something? Sure, why not?

Everyone is getting a zinger in on Zack, huh? Can't wait for Sephiroth to show up again and inevitably give him the business.

And now I feel like a jerk for trying to sell the Buster Sword in VII. :smith: At least it gets a good use in AC.

Nashun posted:

Zack gives #1 the mighty boot despite me not having that command materia equipped.

That probably did 300 damage. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 2, 2016

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I love how it's like "This is pretty clearly an important mission directly related to the defection of one and disappearance of the other of the other two 1st Class guys in SOLDIER, buuuuuuut Sephiroth doesn't give a gently caress so he doesn't have to go."

I really just can't help but appreciate how much of a total douchebag Sephiroth was even before he went cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
They couldn't think of a better name than "dumbapples"?

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Derek Barona posted:

I love how it's like "This is pretty clearly an important mission directly related to the defection of one and disappearance of the other of the other two 1st Class guys in SOLDIER, buuuuuuut Sephiroth doesn't give a gently caress so he doesn't have to go."

I really just can't help but appreciate how much of a total douchebag Sephiroth was even before he went cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

In Sephiroth's defense he has a legit reason to not want to be involved in this. Covered next chapter(By crisis core standards not by thread update standards). Sephiroth is a legit ok guy before he goes off the deep end.

Also I think once we finish Banora the Dumbapple has considerably less sway. We'll see them(the object) once in a while but rarely will the word "Dumbapple" be uttered again. I'm curious if it was less clunky in Japanese or if it was always stupid thouigh.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And now I feel like a jerk for trying to sell the Buster Sword in VII. :smith: At least it gets a good use in AC.

Given the advancements in weapons technology it'd be like mortgaging everything to buy someone one of the first iPods off the line. Moore's Law grinds exceeding fine.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Chapter 07: Words Without Meaning

Last we learned that Angeal’s dad worked himself to death for a sword that Angeal basically never uses because HONOR. Also Genesis basically killed everyone in town. I guess that’s important.

Dramatic crashing noise!

What!?

Oh boy more G-Assassins. At least they were nice enough to break down that 6’ fence that keeps Mr. I Jump Fourty Feet in Cutscenes out.

After a quick beatdown Tseng gives us a ring.

You think that’s their headquarters?

Most likely. I’m currently on a cliff overlooking the factory. A frontal attack is ill advised. Come to the clifftop immediately.

Place your bets now on how much better our attempt at infiltration will go. It’s really not Zack’s thing.

Another of those Mako fountains to examine.

Here’s a Hi-Potion I blindly walk past and don’t pick up until after I get back out of the factory.

As we move towards the cliff top we get another e-mail from crazy Uncle Lazard’s philosophical ramblings.

Another fountain! Also some loot we can’t get to now but can see. There is also an MP Up materia here. I will likely never use it.

Click to Watch

Wait, he...his own family?

This has been a really rough chapter for family members. Thank god we know Zack’s parents live through whatever horrors await us and him. Also Lazard e-mailed all of SOLDIER like 5 minutes after he received the news from Tseng apparently. That guy operates loving fast.

We can’t expect reason from him. What about Angeal!?

He wasn’t at the house.

If I find Angeal, I can talk to him.

I understand now why Sephiroth chose you.

Huh?

Genesis and Angeal.

He didn’t want to fight them. That’s why he refused the mission.

Well Angeal’s my friend too! Time is short. Let’s go.
-End Video-

That is...actually a reasonable thought behind why Zack got this job. Just knowing Angeal shouldn’t really be enough. There ARE other Firsts even if we really don’t stumble across them at all during the game that should theoretically be better equipped to handle Angeal and Genesis. Outside the fact that Zack is a Protagonist he’s good, but not like “Yeah this is the guy to hunt down two of the three deadliest people in the world!”

Lazard respects Sephiroth enough to trust his judgment. Zack bringing home even Angeal is better than Sephiroth sending them both back in body bags or Genesis and Angeal sending back a bunch of Firsts in body bags.

Zack’s idea of infiltration: Jumping through a glass ceiling. We should have just used the front door.

Infiltration successful.

Zack, those words don’t mean at all what you think they do.

Especially since as soon as he stands up he’s jumped by three more of these drat G-Assassins. God drat, Genesis, how many SOLDIER members did you take with you.

Tseng figures “gently caress it” and jumps right in behind him.

Go on ahead. I’ll take care of things here.

Things get taken care of. After a chapter of these mooks this fight is zero to right home about.

gently caress that noise! First we run the opposite direction to pick up 500g. Not...that I’ll be spending it soon.

Hey! A new enemy It’s Heli Gunner of Shinra Tower fame! This was a boss fight on the elevator while your party was split up. He’s not a boss at all here but he is quite a bit beefier than anything else we’ll be fighting.

That spin attack can thwack you a couple three times for 30 damage each. He can also just shoot you with his guns for about 100.

Tseng manages to fail to show off his limit break twice in one fight, but he does level us up and level up Cure as well so I’ll allow it.

While the Limit Verge wheel is spinning occasionally Zack gets flashes of memories. There are some generic ones and also ones associated with the character that is up for a limit break. Sometimes they are dumb little collages like this. Sometimes it’s a short scene from earlier in the game fleshed out a bit or something that happened between the characters outside of the main story.

Eventually with the power of honor and exploding fists Heli Gunner drops. This took way longer than necessary because this was my actual run that I forgot to equip Thunder on, not the redo missing video from earlier where I nuked Guard Spider with it.

Jesus do you guys ever stop.

We end up fighting about fifteen of these bastards plus another Heli Gunner. Everyone time we kill one another shows up.

I test out my Power Attack materia. It looks kind of flashy...but it does exactly the same damage as my normal strike with a longer swing up. Pass. On the upside I have Thunder equipped now and it hits the Heli Gunner for 400 a pop.

This time we ignore Tseng to pick up a way more useful Elixir(that I will probably never use despite having fights I should have). There’s also a remedy in the hallway he called us from.

Check the second floor. Genesis may be there.

Third time’s the charm for ignoring Tseng! I stop at a save point to run a few side missions. I grabbed a Silence which turned out to be useless, but also some new armor. The Four Slots does not have four more materia slots. False advertising. It does give us some Vitality and Spirit though. The Shinra Alpha is just a pile of 40 Vitality.

Click to Watch

Queue the update’s title please! Anything henceforth in italics is CLASSIC LITERATURE.

???: We seek it thus, and take to the sky. Ripples form on the water’s surface.

I am wearing Zack’s expression right now, but with slightly more disgust and disdain.

Zack the puppy.

So, yeah. Meet our good friend Genesis himself. Most known for a end of game Dirge of Cerberus hidden scene where he was portrayed by Gackt. Yes, Japanese pop star Gackt! And not just based on him. It was literally Gackt in this costume. It was incredibly dumb, but here we are and he’s our main antagonist. I’m not sure how he swung an entire game

Also every time he shows up he quotes LOVELESS for about half or more of his lines.

Tseng loves J-Pop and rushes upstairs to meet his idol.

Also to check out the grow vats. Apparently they dress these clowns THEN dose them with Mako and Genesis genes. (Or just didn’t feel like making a new model)

The grave at the house…we found the remains of our people there as well.

They would have done that anyway. At least your parents would have.

What do you know!?

Well that escalated quickly.

Music: Melody of Agony

Imagine these next screen shots in slow motion with some SWEET lens flare on each transition

Also somehow Angeal ends up carrying Zack’s sword during all of that.

It happens somewhere behind one of the lens flares. Oh hey he took the Buster Sword back! Maybe he’s not a hypocritical prick about his honor. ...Although he still isn’t actually using it.

You’ve finally made your decision. I’ll respect your wishes, old friend. However…

Angeal!

-End Video-

SPOILERS: Zack is a dick and does not check on Tseng but chases after Genesis and Angeal. Who have a real awkward thing going on? Hopefully they can get past this rough point in their relationship and come together in their love of apples.

Did he leave the factory?

Music: Conflict

The answer is yes. Also the answer is guard hounds.

We may not have Tseng’s back, but it’s ok. He’s got us covered. Also he one shotted those dogs. He’s got some levels on us. HE should be doing all the heavy lifting here.

There’s no time. We have to leave now.

We’re not gonna go look for those two?

All evidence of misconduct must be erased. Company rules.

:stare: Well that’s one way to make sure nothing is left behind. Although smouldering craters where an idyllic farm village used to be with a world famous product may raise even larger questions. Unless Nibelheim wasn’t the first time they faked an entire village.

Are you sure that nobody is at Angeal’s house?

Oh. OOOOOOOH. I’m glad somebody is on the ball here. It sure isn’t Zack.

Hurry!

Maybe he was just scoring criticals earlier. These ones fall much harder. Outside the door we grab the loot from those chests we saw earlier. An X-Potion and a Bronze Armlet. Armlets are the MP equivalent of Bangles and this one gives a 20% bonus.

Heading back towards town Tseng gives us another friendly call!

Also one of the many weird and random mini games we shall play during Crisis Core. They definitely carried that over from FF7 although I don’t think I like any of them. Definitely nothing as good as the Motorcycle Game!

So we are in a canyon with a factor of dead people behind us and absolutely nothing in front of us. They are shelling the village by shooting Bullet Bills at us towards the factory and a cliff face. Our job is to cut them in half like Zack did in the cutscene vs. Guard Spider. Hey, something Cutscene Zack does that we can do!

Basically shells fly at us, right before they hit us they make a whisltle sound indicating the fuse is activated then flash red. Despite Tseng emphasizing the fuse noise as most important part, focusing on that will likely get you hit by a shell. It’s easier to just mash X when it flashes red. If we get hit...well, Zack takes no damage because he’s a boss. It does have consequences though.

The last one is a bit of a motherfucker because it comes at you from this dumb angle. So for the first time you really need to use the sound cue, or be like me and be drat lucky and swing it on your first try. Thanks unnecessary quick save for having my back though.

I just received word that the airstrike is about to commence. You have to hurry.

Bah. Hurrying is for other people. I’ve got loot to collect!

So depending on how many shells we blew up we get more time to get to Angeal’s house. Since I knocked out all 10 I have a full minute. Which is good because I’m going to blow 50 seconds of it checking those drat Mako fountains again. Apparently we were too pressed for time earlier, but now it’s ok to see what’s in them. Which it won’t tell us until we get to Angeal’s house.

that will buy you some time

Thanks, Tseng!

Those cannon shells were Shinra-made as well. You’ll be rewarded for destroying evidence of the company’s involvement in this matter.

When we snag the last one it magically stops the countdown. We could also just get to Angeal’s house to stop it if we didn’t have time to scrounge all our loot up. So for each shell we knocked out we get 100 Gil, then another 500 bonus if you blew them all up.

We also get an item for each Mako fountain we checked earlier and then again while letting Mrs. Hewley wait on our hoarding needs. The total pile is an Ether, a Soma, X-Potion, Elixir, and Phoenix Down. I lied earlier, there are only five of these not six.

Click to Watch(Reccomended)

Well now I’m not sure if I feel better or worse about wasting all that time on loot.

This update continues to be real bad for parents. Folks, never have parents if you are a JRPG character.

That is a drat fine question. Zack grabs Angeal and just slams his rear end into the wall.

Then loving right hooks him right through the door.

Zack does not give a flying gently caress this is probably his closest friend. Or more specifically gives a lot of fucks that the guy he trusted most apparently just murdered his own mom.

I told you. You can’t live on that side any more

Angeal just hooks Buster Sword on his back and stalks away.

Genesis casually trips Zack as he tries to run out the door. He gains some bonus points because the non-chalant animation of it is pretty great.

My friend, do you fly away now? To a world that abhors you and I?

Shut up!

All that awaits you is a somber morrow

Shut up! I’m warning you!

No matter where the winds may blow.

Well, I guess that solves where the hell Ifrit showed up from in Wutai.

Music: The Summoned (from FFVII ''Those Who Fight Further'')

Why hello there, Bahamut. Niced to meet you. I am Zack and not very delicious. Please don’t murder me.

-End Video-

Click to Watch Bahamut Fight

Frankly Bahamut is less dangerous than Ifrit and I’m not even doing anything special to prep for this like I did with the fire resist.

Bahamut’s got a big problem. Most of his attacks are heavily telegraphed and Zack has a dodge roll with invincibility frames like here.

Or for things with less certain timing like bolts of lightning death from the sky

He can just block and reduce it to a completely non-threatening amount.

Bahamut will also occasionally fly up out of the arena.

And drop on top of you with a slash. You are better off blocking whenever he goes up, but it’s not TOO terrible to I-frame through either. Also I rolled Endure here which stops me from getting staggered by hits. Pretty useless here because all his attacks that are multi-hit chain together too fast for that to matter. Nice vs. mobs of enemies though.

Every so often he’ll gently caress off to one of these platforms disconnected from the arena. This is usually where the lightning death comes in. You can rush in to try to magic him or just wait 10 seconds to get him back on the battlefield.

Ok, I slightly lied. Doing the missions and getting that Shinra Alpha means this hurts WAY less than it could. That’s an easy 400 damage without the whole doubling of my VIT I have going on.

He’s not quite as hard to get behind as Ifrit but still you won’t get many backstabs in.

He does have one jackhammer of an attack we can’t do anything about.

In the grand tradition of FF7 Bahamuts he flies up into space

...and fills his wings with Mako? Ok well that’s new

We still got some classic mouth full of energy though.

And nukes us from orbit. It is however not the only way to be sure.

It hits hard, I’ll grant you that. But it is also gravity based. It can’t actually kill you. And he’s usually pretty slow to follow it up so healing up is really not an issue.

Man our cure still kind of sucks, even so that’s still more healing than we’ve taken in damage outside of Mega Flare.

Silence taunts me. Useless vs. Bahamut AND it steals level ups.

Have I mentioned Bahamut is oozing with HP? Yeah he’s got a lot of it. I eat three Mega Flares before this is over. Luckily after the first you can cancel the FMV.

GOD drat IT, SILENCE oh hey Tseng’s Limit Break decided to join the party.

Is this the end?

I’m trying, i’m trying!

Chopper noise and shadow on the ground!

Start off with some machine guns!

Then the real party kicks in!

Bahamut has one more attack he decided to hold off on until the very end. He summons a bunch of these glowy balls then launches them at you one after the other. Dodge rolling is a pretty bad idea here. You’ll probably dodge the first then eat the second one raw which stuns you then the other six kick you while your down.

For reference they do 4 damage each when you DON’T act stupid and just block.

Finally the jerk decides to keel over and gives up a Force Bracelet for our troubles(+5 Magic +5 Spirit)

Click to Watch for Silliness of a High Order

This time we don’t need no stinking Sephiroth to finish off the summon and it collapses into its Materia.

Music: Theme of CRISIS CORE ''With Pride''

Yes. That is a real line in this game. Also this game has FFX’s problem where the FMV Zack kind of looks like stunt double Zack. You know it’s supposed to be him but there is quite a bit of difference between this and his high quality rendered cutscene model.

What happened to dreams and honor?

Monsters

Ever wonder why people thought the secret ending with Genesis in Dirge was the dumbest loving thing ever? It’s really not the Gackt thing though people kind of piled it on when it was announced. This right here though! Sephiroth isn’t the only One Winged Angel in town! And canonically isn’t even the first.

I can forgive a lot of retreading, but this is so incredibly dumb. So dumb. The words. They just don’t come. They took the weird rear end crazy final boss from 7 and just slapped it on some moody schlub that quotes poetry and wears a color swapped version of Sephiroth’s outfit.

And then he just launches into the sky because, yeah he flies totally fine on one wing that seems to be constantly shedding feathers at a prodigious rate.

...doesn’t mean monster.

Well at least it’s a beautiful day--

Oh right. Airstrike. I forgot about that in all the melodrama and overwrought gestures.

Apparently not even the trees are allowed to survive. RIP dumbapples. You will not be missed

...I’m not going to say anything about the aerodynamics of that monstrosity.

I’m not entirely sure how or where Zack ended up at, but I guess back at those cliffs we were on? Either way a helicopter dramatically flares out next to him.

Yeah. It’s been a pretty hosed up day Zack. I wonder how Shinra PTSD care is? :suicide:

Bonus Crap!

Mega Flare

Tseng Air Strike Limit Break

Genesis Original Concept Art

Originally it was apparently way more “Nomura!” But way less Red Sephiroth. A lot does carry over though. He’s still got the crossed suspenders and the huge SOLDIER WWF Championship belt going on. Mainly it is that ridiculous loving coat.

Apparently Gackt had some input on the design but I’d guess since it is so close to Sephiroth it was mainly color and some details. I guess they originally were going to have it be black or white based. Also Genesis is largely mirrored/inverse from Sephiroth. Right handed instead of left, wing on the right instead of left, and black instead of white winged.

Edit: you know, with that collar and that hair he actually looks a lot like Lightning from FFXIII from the shoulders up.,

Nashun fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 8, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Genesis might be literally the most anime character I've seen outside of parody.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Sindai posted:

Genesis might be literally the most anime character I've seen outside of parody.

He is literally Gackt. Gackt is literally the most anime person in existence.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hey, now there's an explanation for all the dumb weird mutants in FF7 that isn't... terrible! Amazing!

Also, plz tell me not-Gakt gets a sword in the head in the future.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Derek Barona posted:

He is literally Gackt. Gackt is literally the most anime person in existence.
Whelp, gotta hand it to the developers. Every time I see a scene with Genesis I want kick Gackt in the balls repeatedly. You really can't get a better endorsement for an antagonist than that :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is this supposed to be a flattering homage? Because, I mean, taking a guy you like and then having him call himself a monster, kill his parents, and angst while reading a play that was mocked in the original game for being boring certainly doesn't seem like a laundry list of endearing traits.

Also, Bahamut already? What happened to Ramuh and Shiva, you scrub? :argh:

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Gotta bet his mom killed herself, rather than as it implies, him killing her with a massive sword taller than she is.

Never clearing things up is pretty standard after all

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So, Loveless. Originally it was just a cute little background shoutout to an album of the same name by British band My Bloody Valentine. You can actually see their name on the poster in the few instances it shows up around Midgar. It's frequently namedropped as one of the best albums of the '90s, and was apparently a favourite of the staff working on the game at the time. By the time Crisis Core comes around, however, it's considered the greatest work of art in the world (probably in the same way Blitzball is the most popular sport in FFX - it's not difficult to excel in a field of exactly one). And Genesis will practically quote the whole, painfully overwrought thing by the time the game is finished, so... look forward to that! :suicide:

Samovar posted:

Hey, now there's an explanation for all the dumb weird mutants in FF7 that isn't... terrible! Amazing!

Also, plz tell me not-Gakt gets a sword in the head in the future.

He shows up in the epilogue to Dirge of Cerberus. Take from that what you will.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I played this game for the first time a little while ago, and overall, it does a pretty good job of taking you back to the FF7 world, but there are some things I have issues with.

I really dislike the pacing in the game; this spot in particular. Why not hang on to that one wing reveal until a little later? Bahamut also shouldn't be showing up so early.

I feel like they should've done more with the war with Wutai, like actually make them seem like a threat; like a country worth going to war with, as opposed to being reduced to a tutorial dungeon. Maybe have some cool scenes of Sephiroth and Genesis in the war being "good guys," so that their inevitable betrayals have a little more bite.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Slightly Absurd posted:

I played this game for the first time a little while ago, and overall, it does a pretty good job of taking you back to the FF7 world, but there are some things I have issues with.

I really dislike the pacing in the game; this spot in particular. Why not hang on to that one wing reveal until a little later? Bahamut also shouldn't be showing up so early.

I feel like they should've done more with the war with Wutai, like actually make them seem like a threat; like a country worth going to war with, as opposed to being reduced to a tutorial dungeon. Maybe have some cool scenes of Sephiroth and Genesis in the war being "good guys," so that their inevitable betrayals have a little more bite.

PSP UMDs only had so much space on them. It really shows when you look at a game like this, or even Persona 3 Portable, because they removed the Anime Cutscenes, and there's no more walking around, only point and click, unless you're in Tartarus, or combat.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

He shows up in the epilogue to Dirge of Cerberus. Take from that what you will.

I forget, did Dirge come first or CC?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Derek Barona posted:

I forget, did Dirge come first or CC?
I dunno which came out first, but Dirge takes place after FFVII and CC takes place before.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Dirge came out a year before Crisis Core

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Silegna posted:

PSP UMDs only had so much space on them. It really shows when you look at a game like this, or even Persona 3 Portable, because they removed the Anime Cutscenes, and there's no more walking around, only point and click, unless you're in Tartarus, or combat.

I don't think hardware limitations are really a good excuse for anything I listed. Pacing is a story-telling issue, and they could've expanded on the war on Wutai using the assets that ended up in this game anyway. Showing more of the "good guy" angle would've only taken a FMV or two, which they could've made space for by getting rid of pointless crap like dumbapples

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nashun posted:

Dirge came out a year before Crisis Core

That's odd in light of the secret reports. Don't they mention Genesis cells?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

CC is a strange game, in that it exists to fill in a few plot holes and provide background info on the first game. DoC itself was arguably a tie-in for Advent Children (note how the only party member other than Cloud and Tifa to get any meaningful screentime is Vincent Valentine), though with the teaser, you could say it was also one for this game.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There are three reports. One basically says some SOLDIER G is a badass so scary no one is willing to talk about him(by Dirge Era). The other says maybe he's tied to Sephiroth(Excuse me "S") and that if rumors are true Shinra sent a SOLDIER after him to kill him(Zack). So it's about a 2 sentence reference that turned into a good chunk of the plot in Crisis Core. The third is basically "Maybe he's secretly manipulating Deep Ground!!!"

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Nashun posted:

There are three reports. One basically says some SOLDIER G is a badass so scary no one is willing to talk about him(by Dirge Era). The other says maybe he's tied to Sephiroth(Excuse me "S") and that if rumors are true Shinra sent a SOLDIER after him to kill him(Zack). So it's about a 2 sentence reference that turned into a good chunk of the plot in Crisis Core. The third is basically "Maybe he's secretly manipulating Deep Ground!!!"

:bravo: Square Enix for that stunning ability to throw completely optional stuff into an almost entirely unrelated game in the series and use it as a way to bullshit excuse yourself up a plot for another game that takes place somewhere around a decade earlier with minimal effort.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Slightly Absurd posted:

by getting rid of pointless crap like dumbapples

you monster

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
How popular was Genesis, as a character, when this came out and the FF7 milk machine was up and running (Advent, Dirge, etc.)? I'm sure in Japan he's got some zazz being Gackt and all, but I'm wondering if a Western audience (over the age of 10) thought this character was a good idea. (To be fair, I've never played CC, Dirge, or even seen Advent, so I don't know how influential he is to their "stories".)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Genesis made no appearance, name-dropping or even hinting in Advent. He's a miniscule cameo in DoC. CC... we'll see(see).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so he's the equivalent of the legendary Man Who Did Nothing But Quote Star Wars.

And Angeal over there... I still do not get his situation. Somehow being like one of the top three dudes in the entire Shinra organization is still not enough for Disapproving Asian Mom?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

And Angeal over there... I still do not get his situation. Somehow being like one of the top three dudes in the entire Shinra organization is still not enough for Disapproving Asian Mom?

Maybe she wants him to be #1 instead of #3, like all of those "stereotypical disapproving Asian parents"™ in the movies? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

How popular was Genesis, as a character, when this came out and the FF7 milk machine was up and running (Advent, Dirge, etc.)? I'm sure in Japan he's got some zazz being Gackt and all, but I'm wondering if a Western audience (over the age of 10) thought this character was a good idea. (To be fair, I've never played CC, Dirge, or even seen Advent, so I don't know how influential he is to their "stories".)

I've never met a single person on this side of the Pacific who's played Crisis Core that even remotely likes Genesis. Mostly due to the fact that he's a dumb, teenage poetry-spouting retcon loser who was Nomura's love letter to a weird J-Pop star, because this was the era where Noruma was still king poo poo at Square and could get away with anything (ie: before he spent 6 years working on FFXV and managed to produce only two trailers and 5% of a complete game and Square box'd him for it when they finally found out).

Basically, Genesis kind of landed with a giant wet fart.

• Locked thread