Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Everyone probably knows, but just in case - the reason it's specifically Fire Emblem that the Toad is plugging over any other Nintendo game is because it is also developed by Intelligent Systems. :eng101:

There, was that noise sufficiently colourful?

E: Well poo poo, that wasn't necessary at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Link To This Update By Itself

Hello everyone. Are you all ready to explore the Shhwonk Fortress? I know I am!

Shhwonk Fortress

: We're in Shhwonk Fortress. My shoes are totally soaked through now... Just great. Plus, it's dark, and cramped, and it smells totally bad... This place is not cool, Mario.

Shhwonk Fortress is five screens long, and 60% of those screens make Dolphin slow to a crawl. But anyway, let's start by heading to the right.

Another badge box? Don't mind if I do!

I don't show off Multibounce, but it's a pretty nice ability all the same. It's perfect if you need to cripple a row of koopas. You just gotta be quick on the action command button.

: There sure are a lot of Fuzzies living here in Shhwonk Fortress... I saw one a minute ago, and I thought it was a ghost! I totally hate dark places...

Over on the next screen we find our first enemy down here.

Three of them to be specific.

The one in the middle has to die first. He has a pretty nasty item and we don't want him using that.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/NeatMajorCockroach.webm

These guys can be a pain to properly block. Your instinct is to block as soon as they latch on to you, but like Goombella says, you have to hit the button the instant they let go of you. I find that you'll get the block 9 times out of 10 if you hit the button right as soon as they end the second "sucking" animation.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/HarmfulSelfassuredHogget.webm

Sometimes you also don't need to bother blocking at all. God I love the Pretty Lucky badge.

Anyway, this is the item that the second fuzzy was holding. We'll be using it before too long.

: We're in Shhwonk Fortress. All this water has made the place a little cold... I wouldn't mind getting out of here for some fresh air soon, you know what I mean?

There was another fuzzy encounter in the previous hallway, but nothing important happened. Here's the first of the two celestial stones we need.

Grabbing the stone spawns a Fuzzy encounter.

You know what? I don't feel like fighting four of these things at once.

So, time to show off the fire flower.

It's pretty good.

Moving on. Off to the left this time.

: All this moisture makes this place really moldy-smelling. And what's that other stink? Is that what wet Fuzzy smells like? I think I'm gonna totally barf.

That's ten pounds of Nope in a five pound bag. How do you avoid getting hit with an item here? Simple. Get the first strike, nail the action command, multibounce on the fuzzies with Mario's turn, then kill the remaining fuzzy with Goombella.

For as much as I ragged on Sleepy Sheep several updates ago, you do not want to get hit with it. It puts the entire enemy party to sleep for 3 turns, or until they take damage. Which ever comes first. Combining that with the health regain from the vampire item? Yeah, that's no good.

: We're in Shhwonk Fortress. This room is damp and moldy, too. Like every other one. Jeepers creepers... I just wanna see the sun again. Is that so wrong?

Moving on again.

Another four-fuzzy ambush. Another fire flower to suggest they not do that again...

12 star points, and we have 89. You know what that means!

We're continually putting these badge points to good use. In the next couple of updates, we're gonna really be glad we've been leveling that to the exclusion of all else.

Back in the main chamber we find a palette-swapped fuzzy.

: Meeeeeeeeeeeork! Hey, you suspicious types! This is our place. And coming in here is rude, rude, RUDE! Sorry, suckers! If you want a warm welcome, too bad! Now I lunch on your head!

It's time for another miniboss fight. This guy doesn't have a lot of health. So...

: Meee-OOOF! Hey! Ow! You chumps are tougher than you look... But I'm not through yet! Everyone! GET 'EM!!!!

https://fat.gfycat.com/AdmirableGleamingEft.webm

Meet the real miniboss. The golden fuzzy and the fuzzy horde.

https://fat.gfycat.com/FirmCircularCopperbutterfly.webm

If you're better at hitting the block button than I am, you can avoid taking damage here.

The horde itself has 20 HP.

I also love the Power Smash badge. 4 HP of damage is a lot to most enemies at this point in the game.

A neat touch is that as you damage the horde, a bunch of fuzzies will fly away and out of it.

What a helpful audience! :3:

The HP Drain item is pretty useful. The HP recovery isn't a lot, but 5 damage is pretty good at most points in the game. I'm not sure if the damage can be resisted or mitigated, but I suspect not.

Naturally, it'll be a while before we get the ability to purchase these things. In Chapter 4.

When you reduce the horde to 10 HP, they leave the battle.

From there it's only a matter of time before the gold fuzzy also leaves. 18 experience is pretty nice for a quick miniboss fight.

: Meeeeeeee-uuuuurgh! You got me!

I'd show you all a nice WebM of the fuzzies all leaving the screen, but this is one of the three rooms in the mini dungeon that tank my framerate. (The other two are the sun and moon stone rooms.)

A quick health top off and let's return to Petalburg.

Jumping ahead a bit, I purchase some supplies for the main dungeon of the chapter. It never hurts to be prepared.

Off to the castle we go!

: Ummm... Excuse me...

: It's... It's Mario, right? Look, I... Ummmm...
: See, the thing is, I've been waiting here in the hope of getting to speak with you. I have to ask you something, and you can say no, but I'm going to throw it out there.
: Ummmmmm... See... I was wondering... Would you...

: Sorry about that. See... My dad... He went off to battle Hooktail long ago. ...But he never came back.

I love Mario just tilting his head to the side. Like "Yes. And?"

: I miss him, of course... I miss him badly. But this isn't just about avenging my dad. Well, no... That's not true. Revenge is a part of it, I guess. A big part.

: But the truth is, I want to finish what Dad started. For his sake. For everyone's sake. I... Man, this is embarrassing... See, everyone always says I'm a crybaby... A weakling. But if I can defeat Hooktail... Well, I won't be those things. I'll be strong, like my dad.

Seriously. It cracks me up every time he does it.

I'm sure there's some funny dialogue if you decline him, but I didn't think to grab it at the time.

: For real? No kidding? Yes! Thank you so much! You won't regret this!

: Koops's Abilities: A Primer.

: Use to shoot out his shell. Use it to retrieve distant items and hit switches.

: If you hold , you can hold his shell in one place after shooting it!

: You can even hold Koops's shell in place, move Mario, and then release the shell!

: In battle, Koops can fight by your side, striking foes with his main move: the Shell Toss. He can also strike all ground-bound enemies in one attack with his Power Shell!

: OK, Mario! Let's get going!

: Koops...

: Oh... Golly... Umm... Hi... Hi, Koopie... Koopie Koo... Did you overhear all that?
: Well, part of it. Koops... I THOUGHT I heard you say you're off to fight Hooktail... But... you're joking, right? I mean, you're not exactly a powerhouse... He'll eat you up!
: I know, Koopie Koo. But I want to be tougher. For you... So I have to do this...
: No, Koops, you don't. I mean, going off to some dangerous place? It's...

: I just want you to be you. So, don't go...
: Sorry, Koopie Koo... I've made up my mind. No need to worry, though! After all, I'm traveling with Mario. He's the man!

That is so super not cool that it's not even funny. Getting Koops away from his controlling, abusive harpy of a girlfriend is the first actually heroic thing we've done on this journey.

: I'm sorry, Koopie Koo... I swear to you... I will come back to you a stronger Koopa!
: Well, Mario, that's that, I guess. No turning back! Hooktail's castle awaits!
: *nods*

So in battle, despite what Koopie Koo claimed, Koops is pretty drat strong.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/SereneFlawlessDromedary.webm

He's like a ranged version of Mario's hammer.

Of course he does have some drawbacks. He is a koopa, for all the good and bad that entails. Basically, don't let something jump on him or he's gonna have a bad time. However, on the positive side, Koops comes with 1 innate defense because of his shell. So if you have him defend and nail the timed block, you can reduce up to 3 damage from every attack.

It costs most of our FP to use, but his Power Shell ability is incredibly useful.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FocusedGlassDonkey.webm

The usefulness of an ability that deals 2 damage to every ground-based enemy can't be overstated. Most of the time you're gonna clear the board by simply using it.

We can also finally get this badge that's been taunting us for the past 3 updates.

Slow HP regen is another really good badge. I don't believe I've ever had it save me from a game over, but it does a pretty good job of keeping you reasonably topped up.

Anyway, back on the first screen we can finally stick Mr. Shine and Mr. Bright in to their respective holes.

There's Solrock in place...

And there's Lunatone.

Slotting the Frozen Flame and the crescent-shaped hunk of cheese into place causes two switches and an inscription to reveal themselves.

: Here beginneth the path to dread Hooktail Castle. Weaklings, retreateth! Ye who seeketh to proceed: a power of two must hitteth both switches simultaneously.

*** Addendum ***

If ye are a Petalburg Koopa, huzzah! Your HOLD ability maketh this chore a snap!

Let's set Koops to hold over on the left side.

Then we jump on the switch over on the right. It's not very difficult to hit both switches at the same time. Like everything else in this game, it's all in the timing.

See you guys next time when we start exploring Hooktail Castle!

Video: Gold Fuzzy, Koops, and Entering Hooktail's Castle

(Video may not have 720p available if you watch it before the HD processing finishes.)

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 15, 2016

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I love Koops.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

He's pretty much my favourite partner to use, just for the long-range First Strikes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does Koops still get you the first strike on enemies if he's spinning in place and they run into him?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone. We're very nearly done with this chapter. All that we need to do is to make it through this dungeon. Are you all excited? I sure am!

Oh! Before we get started, in the last update I forgot to put in the tattles for the Shhwonk Fortress. I've already gone back and edited them into the previous update, but since you're already here, this is what they say:

: We're in Shhwonk Fortress. My shoes are totally soaked through now... Just great. Plus, it's dark, and cramped, and it smells totally bad... This place is not cool, Mario.

: There sure are a lot of Fuzzies living here in Shhwonk Fortress... I saw one a minute ago, and I thought it was a ghost! I totally hate dark places...

: We're in Shhwonk Fortress. All this water has made the place a little cold... I wouldn't mind getting out of here for some fresh air soon, you know what I mean?

: All this moisture makes this place really moldy-smelling. And what's that other stink? Is that what wet Fuzzy smells like? I think I'm gonna totally barf.

: We're in Shhwonk Fortress. This room is damp and moldy, too. Like every other one. Jeepers creepers... I just wanna see the sun again. Is that so wrong?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here Ends The Shhwonk Fortress Tattles

~~~~~~~~~~~~

: This is the entrance to Hooktail Castle. Not bad... There's a garden up ahead. There's a Save Block here, too, so we'd probably better use it, don'tcha think?

That spring pad looks tantalizing. Let's see where it leads.

Most dungeons in this game are pretty kind in this regard. You can almost always find a recovery block outside of nearly every dungeon. Furthermore, as long as you don't leave the dungeon, enemies you've defeated inside will remain defeated. So there's absolutely no downsides to returning to this block if you need to.

There's a door up above this one, but we're going out the bottom one first. There's something I want to grab quickly.

Entering Hooktail's Castle

https://fat.gfycat.com/PortlyEmotionalCaimanlizard.webm

Hooktail's Castle

: This is the Hooktail Castle garden. Looks like the bridge has been out for a while. Even so, this castle just seems so... majestic, y'know? It's so big, and... strange.

: Oh, man... Hooktail Castle... The stories were all true... This place is TERRIFYING...

Anyway, we want to head down this not-so-well-hidden staircase.

Across some platforms is a badge just out of reach.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FirsthandCoolElectriceel.webm

This is the animation for using Koops's field ability. Pretty neat!

This badge is gonna be so useful. Though it does cost 3 BP to use. So we just spent all the points from our last level up on more HP.

The downside to the badge is that it only boosts your max HP. So once you equip one, you should find a source of healing. Lucky for us, we just passed one a moment ago.

Like Goombella said, the bridge is out. So we need to go back to the second floor of the gatehouse.

The door on the second floor of the gatehouse leads here.

And using the airplane panel we can easily cross the gap.

: This is a corridor in Hooktail Castle. Can't say I'm a fan of the bone-pile decor. I don't really wanna have my bones end up here, Mario. How about we move on?

This room is full of paratroopas. Also see what that second one is holding? We need to shut him down fast!

I also swear I've never seen the audience this helpful. Usually they're throwing rocks at me. Anyway, paratroopas are as easy to keep locked down as koopas are. Just nail the jump action command and they'll wind up on their back, unable to act.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/EquatorialFarFinch.webm

Remember that regeneration badge I found last time? This is it taking effect. Pretty handy!

This is the only other noteworthy thing that happened in the fights in this room. A full recharge on everything is always welcome.

Anyway, this badge box is also in this first hallway.

In the right hands, this badge is really powerful. Though it also takes 3 BP to equip. We won't be equipping it right yet, but we'll still hold onto it for a rainy day.

: I guess that's a dungeon beyond us... Ick... There are bones scattered everywhere. Mmm... Mold and dust... Great. You could totally choke on the stench in this place. HAAAAAACK!

This room is completely devoid of enemies. Of course, there's a reason for that.

: Oh... OH, NOOOOO!

: These bones... They remind me of my father... There's... There's no doubt about it! It's my father! DAAAAAAAD!!!

: Umm... Wait, what's this? Mario! My father's clutching some kind of letter. Or at least, his... ugh... bones are.

: Umm... OK. I can do this. I... I'll read it. Ahem...

: I came to this castle to destroy Hooktail, but I am stuck and can go no further. So, in this letter, I shall note Hooktail's weaknesses for those who follow. The dread Hooktail cannot tolerate creatures that begin with 'cr' and end with 'icket'. Hidden somewhere in this castle is an item related to Hooktail's weakness. If one is to have any hope of defeating Hooktail, one must first find that item.
: One last thing: if faced with ultimate doom, the fiend will use any trick to save itself. If you hope to defeat it, do not give in to your kinder nature and fall for its tricks. Alas, I do not have the strength to continue writing... Already, mist veils my eyes... My last words go to my son, Kolorado: I love you, and I'm proud of who you've become.

: Huh? "My son, KOLORADO"? Not "Koops"???

The game pauses on this for a few seconds.

: Oooooooooooooooooooooops... Umm... Yeah, I guess this isn't my father, after all. But if this isn't my father... I wonder if that pile of bones over THERE is my dad...

Gonna grab Goombella for this next section. We'll need use of her tattle talents soon. Also take note of the key in the dungeon cells behind us. We can't reach it yet, but soon enough...

: Blaarf harf harf HARF! You clearly don't value your lives much if you've come to this castle to disturb us. You will go no further, and from this moment on... You'll be nothing but bones!

https://giant.gfycat.com/LastingAptBluebottle.webm

: What's with these numbskulls? Ow! OWWW! Watch it, Pushy! They're shoving me around, Mario! What should we do?

https://fat.gfycat.com/IdenticalClosedBullmastiff.webm

If you don't act, you'll be shoved right out of the room and have to go back in again. Or you can just start smashing fools with your hammer.

Just keep smashing these undead koopas until you make it back over to the red one. Getting back to him triggers a miniboss encounter.

This battle can be pretty dangerous. When there's a bunch of these skeletons, they feel confident and will start lobbing bones at your guys. These bones hurt. Look at Goombella before and after the barrage. She's not feeling too hot anymore.

Five hits took off 7 HP from her! Ouch! However, this image is also highlighting my solution to the problem. I love fire flowers.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/DefiniteRevolvingDungenesscrab.webm

When there's only a couple skeletons on screen, the red bones (and any dull bones) will concentrate on building more. This fight is entirely about crowd control. Also because of their innate defense, Goombella can't even scratch them.

This is the sort of fight that was tailor made for Koops. I wasn't exaggerating when last time I claimed he was like a long range version of Mario's hammer. Anyway, the Red Bones will eventually fall.

25 star points for a quick, albeit brutal, miniboss fight? I'll take it.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/WindyEnchantedIndochinahogdeer.webm

I love this game so much.

: This must be the great hall of Hooktail Castle. I'd say it's the center of the castle. This place is so full of traps and dangers... It's kind of hard to get around, huh? If we could just walk to a window and look at the sky, that might clear our heads...

This is indeed one of the most important rooms in the castle. We'll be back here several times. The dull bones are also now random encounters, but they're only ever grouped with other dull bones, so they're also pretty boring ultimately.

A shine sprite! That we can reach! Of course, before I can get close to it, a pack of dull bones wandered over and said hello.

Are you all ready to see some amazing luck? This was completely a random drop.

Yeah. We just got another HP up badge.

This is why I think it's always best to go all-in on BP. We've already used 14 just from the badges we've found lying around. To be fair, nearly half of that is tied up in HP Plus badges, but my point still stands. With the exception of the last HP Plus badge, all the ones we have equipped we've either found on the critical path or in a shop.

:toot: 1/42 shine sprites!

There's a bit of a puzzle here. There's a bunch of blocks up on the ledge, and two smaller, colorful, blocks below. You may also notice that one of the blocks up top matches the color of the block below.

Some experimentation reveals that smashing the purple block drops another block up top. The yellow triangle block is currently trapped, so let's go free it.

If you recall, we can smash the yellow eye blocks with Mario's hammer.

And now when we smash the small yellow bock...

The larger one rises up.

It's not a hard puzzle, but it is kind of involved.

Hitting the red switch makes the stairs flip over on their axis.

If we climb up them again, we can...

Reach the key that we could see earlier. Now we need to hit the red switch again to get the stairs back to the block platform.

Of course, there's also a secret hidden here. Lower the large yellow triangle block again, and set Koops to hold near its switch. When you're on top of the block, release him.

You can then ride the yellow triangle block up to the ceiling.

:toot:

As far as I can tell, there's no secret for riding the purple block up to the ceiling.

Anyway, moving on...

: This is Hooktail Castle. You feel that upward-moving draft in here? Wow, sure is a big castle. Who do you think built it? So many questions!

There's nothing much in this room yet. There's a large green triangle block we can ride up to the ceiling, but there's nothing worthwhile up there yet. So I'll show that off later when we can actually do stuff up there. You should also probably save in this room. One of the few instant game overs is coming up.

Paragoombas are an odd sight to see so deep in the dungeon for the first chapter.

: These are the dungeons of Hooktail Castle. I don't think they're in use, but... yuck. Hey, y'know, I was meaning to ask... Have you mastered Koops's "Hold" move yet? When Koops is with you, just press and hold X to make his shell stop ahead of you. You can even move around while it stays there! Try it out in different areas!

Hooktail's castle is 90% training grounds for using Koops's hold ability. Almost every puzzle in here involves using it. This game follows the Standard Zelda Formula, except with partners. Get Partner -> Use Partner For Every Puzzle In The Dungeon.

See that music note in the background? That is incredibly important. Keep it in the back of your mind.

Anyway, this is yet another puzzle where the solution is to use Koops's hold ability. The switch controls the portcullis directly across from it, but it's also on a really short timer.

Simple.

Oh no. Not again.

: What the heck? Hey! Guests! It's been a long time since anyone came here! A REAL long time!
: ...
: ...Huh? You heard me? Wow! Wait a sec'... if you can hear my voice, you must be some legendary hero or something...
: Or not!

I really love this game, guys. Everyone is constantly owning Mario and it's the greatest thing.

: ...But it sure is fun zinging people with that whole "legendary hero" bit! Hey, but seriously, folks, I was wondering if you could let me out of this chest... I've been locked in here so long, I'm starting to cramp up like you wouldn't believe. All you have to do is find the key and let me out. Easy!
: ...
: Huh? What do you mean? You think you'll be cursed if you open the box? Ridiculous! Who would do that, really? Wait in a box and curse folks! A real slimeball, that's who! But I'm not a real slimeball, and I would do no such thing! But that should be obvious.

: Look, if you help me out, maybe I'll help you out. You know, a little I-scratch-your-back-you-scratch-mine! Except in reverse order.

Well, it's not like we have much choice. Maybe the key is in the next room.

: What a totally weird room. There's just gotta be something hidden here. Then again, EVERY room in this castle is totally weird.

Hands up if you can see what's coming here. Look at the floor. You can walk over the obvious spikes, but it behooves you to follow the winding path across the room.

Over on the opposite side of the room is a chest with the black key we need.

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, we're now surrounded by spikes.

: Ummm... M-Mario... L-Look at that!

: Oh, I don't like the look of this... Come on! Run!

Escape the Falling Ceiling!

https://giant.gfycat.com/VerifiableBlackandwhiteHornedviper.webm

The path out isn't very hard.

Once you leave the spike room, you can hear the ceiling slam down behind you. I also mentioned that you should save earlier. That room is why. If you can't find your way out in 50 seconds, you get an instant game over.

: Gotta shake it off... Hoo. OK. We got the key, so let's go open that spooky chest.

: Hey there! Boy, I am SO glad you found that key! Unbelievable!

: WHEE HEE HEE HEE HEE! FOOOOOOOLS!

: Why, only the most idiotic pudding-brained dolt would fall for a scheme like that! The castle's traps prevent anyone who's entered this place from ever leaving it! No matter which path you take, you're fated to waste away to a slow, painful end! But wait! There's more to this great deal! I'll throw in a free CURSE! No charge!
: Oogly-googly-BOO! Wheee hee hee hee hee! Now you're cursed, doofus! And it serves you right! This curse is more cursedly curse-worthy than any curse that's ever cursed you! For... this curse makes you like a piece of paper when you press and hold ! Wheeee hee hee hee hee! What a curse! Who curses like me? NO ONE! Now I shall show you just how frightful a curse it is! Go on! Press and hold !

https://zippy.gfycat.com/RawImperfectIndusriverdolphin.webm

: Wheeee hee hee hee hee! Just look at yourself! How embarrassing for you!

: Then farewell, you dumbbells! Wheee hee hee hee hee!

The curse we just got lets us squeeze through the bars of the cell that we were trapped in.

This thing I pointed out earlier is a badge. It, and any badges like it, cost 0 BP to use and all they do is change the sound of your attacks. This particular badge sounds kind of like a cricket if you squint at it and don't pay attention too hard and have recently suffered head trauma that impaired your ability to hear.

What I mean is it sounds absolutely nothing like a cricket. The sound is also kind of annoying, so I leave it unequipped for now.

Anyway, next time we'll continue to explore the castle. See y'all then!

Video: Hooktail Castle Flyby, Koops's Dad, Red Bones, and Black Chest #2

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 15, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Glazius posted:

Does Koops still get you the first strike on enemies if he's spinning in place and they run into him?

I'm sure it does, but I've never actually had that situation come up. This warrants some testing next time I record.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A castle ruled by a dragon? A long foyer? Immortal red skeletons?
It all seems so familiar somehow

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Oh! Before we get started, in the last update I forgot to put in the tattles for the Shhwonk Fortress, so here they are:

Far from a huge deal, but I found it a touch disorientating to go straight from tattles of Shhwonks Fortress to tattles of new areas in the Castle with out any division between the Image/tattle format to make it clear we're now in the new location.

If I may make a small suggestion just based of what I've seen other screenshot lps I've read; Edit the new content in to the old post, make a second explaining you have done that and copy what you had edited in so people already caught up don't need to re-read, and finally a third post for the new update free from any admin work from the last one.

Again far from a huge deal, and loving the thread otherwise.

You do really have me questioning my memory on there being something at the top of that purple block lift though. Doesn't that one lead to a doorway to a tiny balcony in the next room with a trinket on it? A Star Piece if I had to guess?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I love everything about the curse chests in this game

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
For some reason, this update killed Firefox completely, even when I opened just the update on it's own. I got an add-on to disable the autoplay of the webMs and that seems to have fixed it, but just wanted to let you know because none of the other updates have had any problems loading so far. Were there more/bigger videos in this one?

On the subject of the game, it continues to be as charming as ever. I don't remember badges being so vital in the first game, though I may have just been playing it wrong...

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Are you going to be collecting all the Shine Sprites? If so, who's going to get the first upgrade? I say Koops

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I tend to prefer goombella because her upgrade is just so much better than koops' and you have her out all the time for tattles anyway

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

GirlCalledBob posted:

For some reason, this update killed Firefox completely, even when I opened just the update on it's own. I got an add-on to disable the autoplay of the webMs and that seems to have fixed it, but just wanted to let you know because none of the other updates have had any problems loading so far. Were there more/bigger videos in this one?

On the subject of the game, it continues to be as charming as ever. I don't remember badges being so vital in the first game, though I may have just been playing it wrong...

There were 9 WebMs in this update, yeah. I also changed the method I was using to create them, so they're also playing back at 60 frames per second now.

Potentially Boring Details: The animations in the first update were made using the method I used in my Stick of Truth thread, namely creating a mp4 of what I wanted animated, and screen capturing over that with GoonCam. After that I swapped to WebMCam, which used the same principle but gave infinitely smaller file sizes. The WebMs in the past two updates were created by uploading the MP4s directly to the host, and letting them do all the processing. The file sizes tend to be a bit erratic as a result. Further compounding problems is that WebMs are insanely taxing because all the processing power in rendering them in a browser window is put right on the CPU.

This is the first take I had for one of the WebMs in the update. It looks all well and good, right? Well the compressed size is 8 MB.

Basically, I'm willing to change how I'm doing things--including dropping the animated images entirely--if it's making the LP too hard to read.

Carlosologist posted:

Are you going to be collecting all the Shine Sprites? If so, who's going to get the first upgrade? I say Koops

After the end of the first chapter I'm actually gonna put that to a thread vote! But yes, I'm going for all the shine sprites.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Don't drop the animated images. There is an update for Firefox coming to fix the lock up bug. Until it's out I'll just read the updates in chrome.

What you're doing works and is important for the charm of the game.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Disabling autoplay with this add-on seems to have fixed all the problems, so I wouldn't say drop the animated images, especially if there's a fix coming out for Firefox. Mostly I was just asking if anything had changed to make sure it wasn't my computer crapping out or something, if you'd told me there wasn't any difference between this and older updates it would have been cause for concern.

A lot of the animation in this game is so nice, it's important to show it off.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I only played the first Paper Mario but dammit if it's not one of my favorite games. I wish I had a Game Cube to play this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DoubleNegative posted:

: I came to this castle to destroy Hooktail, but I am stuck and can go no further. So, in this letter, I shall note Hooktail's weaknesses for those who follow. The dread Hooktail cannot tolerate creatures that begin with 'cr' and end with 'icket'. Hidden somewhere in this castle is an item related to Hooktail's weakness. If one is to have any hope of defeating Hooktail, one must first find that item.

I think in a demo of the game, that message said "The dread Hooktail cannot tolerate creatures that begin with 'fr' and end with 'og'" instead. I'm not sure why they changed that.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think in a demo of the game, that message said "The dread Hooktail cannot tolerate creatures that begin with 'fr' and end with 'og'" instead. I'm not sure why they changed that.

Obviously it confused playtesters since nobody knows what a fridgehog sounds like.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Those curse chests are just getting super-high on freedom, it's glorious.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I think the WebM problem comes from using gyfcat instead of imgur. I've never had anything but trouble with gyfcat...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

I think the WebM problem comes from using gyfcat instead of imgur. I've never had anything but trouble with gyfcat...

Imgur, for whatever stupid reason, won't let you upload webms directly. Instead you need to upload the video to youtube, then use imgur's "video to gif" tool, which will then convert it to one of their GifVs.

imgur

GFYCat

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Imgur, for whatever stupid reason, won't let you upload webms directly. Instead you need to upload the video to youtube, then use imgur's "video to gif" tool, which will then convert it to one of their GifVs.

imgur

GFYCat

I thought you were just uploading GIFs, since imgur will convert them to Webm/GIFv format...

Also, for whatever reason, Firefox is turning the GYFCat WebMs into MP4 files for me. It also didn't render the ones you just posted.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kheldarn posted:

Also, for whatever reason, Firefox is turning the GYFCat WebMs into MP4 files for me. It also didn't render the ones you just posted.

I've heard that .gifv isn't actually a file format and will serve as either an .mp4 or a .gif depending on what the browser can handle, I wouldn't be surprised if .webm was in a similar situation.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

I've heard that .gifv isn't actually a file format and will serve as either an .mp4 or a .gif depending on what the browser can handle, I wouldn't be surprised if .webm was in a similar situation.

It's weird, because I've had no problems viewing GIFV or WebM on imgur's website. It only seems to happen with Gyfcat...

Ah well. I'll use Chrome until the FF update comes. I have an extention to open links in Chrome, making it no big deal for me, so please don't stop using them, DoubleNegative!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Here's something to tide y'all over while I work on the next update.

Main Menu Theme (Alternate)

:allears: GiIvaSunner is the best channel on youtube.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone. Today's update is on the short side, but it's very important nonetheless. Today we're concerning ourselves with the upper floors of the castle. Shall we get started?

This is the other side of that save room I mentioned last time. It's a very small, but very, very important room.

Skipping ahead a bit, we're back in the room where we fought a horde of undead koopas. See that key in dungeon cells? We need that.

Take a moment to think about how many gaps like this we've seen in the game so far. The Rogueport sewers are absolutely littered with them, and we've seen at least one instance of it in Rogueport proper. We'll see an uncountable number of them in the chapters yet to come. The curse chests may not be very good at their jobs, but their curses are always incredibly useful.

If we keep heading left, we'll arrive back at the castle's garden.

We passed these stairs when we first entered. They only serve to get us back out of the castle, so we can ignore them for the most part.

Skipping ahead some more, we're back in the green arrow block room. This room is arguably even more important than the foyer earlier.

If we ride the green arrow block up, we can access the second floor.

The third floor I mean? I'm not sure if you should count landings. Anyway, see those stairs continuing up?

We can't get this badge yet. We have to come back to this later.

This is roughly the halfway point of the castle. The recharge block is a kindness if you need some healing. Luckily we do not.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FearlessVainArmyant.webm

Hit the switch and the room shreds to reveal the bridge that's actually there. You probably shouldn't think too hard about that.

Repeat the process.

This window doesn't have any bars on it, and is low enough to jump through. This warrants investigating!

:toot: You could see the bottom corner of this star piece through the window in a previous screenshot.

Anyway, going back to the left again, we find another window to jump through. We can also see a missing section of floor with no obvious way to cross. So we had to jump into the background anyway.

: This is Hooktail Castle. There's an upward-moving draft in this room, too. Of course, tons of bones lying around, too. This place needs a decorator, STAT! You never know which bones are gonna attack, so careful where you walk, OK? Oh, and if you want to ride that green block, remember, Koops is the MAN!

Do you know yet how to use Koops's hold ability? Because you need to use it all the drat time in this dungeon.

This quick glimpse of a small outcropping to the left is your only hint that there's something down there.

I guess this is the third floor?

Jump off the walkway on the far side and...

:stare: This item in front of us is super rare and super valuable.

A free resurrect if either your or your partner's HP empties? Yeah, that's way too valuable to keep in our inventory. Sadly the only way to store it involves a very long hike back to Petalburg, and all the monsters in the castle would respawn in which case. So we just need to be super careful until we can stow this thing for a rainy day.

On the right side of the walkway from before, we can find a Paragoomba holding a badge.

This badge can be pretty useful. It's like a Pretty Lucky Badge for our partner, but only when their HP is critical.

Anyway, we can't go right, so to the left it is!

Ms. Mowz's Theme

She looks familiar somehow. Have we met her before?

: Huh? Oh, my! Who's this handsome piece of cheese? I can't believe there are other thieves here besides me. How very strange...
: H-Hey! Who are you?
: Me? Why, I'm Ms. Mowz, the globe-trotting thief! Heard of me, sweetie? I heard there were rare and valuable badges here in this castle. That's why I'm here. But the real question is... why are people like YOU roaming in such a run-down place?

:cripes: Shut up, Koops.

: ...Crystal Star, you say? Mmmm hmm hmm! I didn't know a thing like THAT was hidden in this castle... Sounds intriguing! Perhaps I just heard something you didn't want me hearing? Mmm hmm hmm hmm!
: Darn!

:staredog: She's as dumb as he is!

: And I already found the badge I was after, so I'll let you get your Crystal Star. :h:
: Ummm... Hey! What's that supposed to mean?

: Mmmm hmm hmm hmm! :h: It means I must say bye-bye for now, Mr. Cutie. I know. It's sad. We just met and already it is time to say farewell. Alas... :h:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/BriskEducatedIaerismetalmark.webm

: Oh, my! You're so... bold... Is that legal?
: Oh, I almost forgot... I have a little secret to share with you :h: Somewhere in this castle is a badge that'll help you best Hooktail, or so I've heard. I don't know what kind of badge it is. Maybe you found it already, maybe not. If you're going to fight Hooktail, I'd recommend finding that badge first. Well, take care, handsome mustache man! Let's get together again real soon!

: I wonder what her story is... I bet it's an interesting one... Full of romance...

: This is Hooktail's treasure room. Ms. Mowz was looking for something here, but I don't think there's anything left.

Now that Ms. Mowz is gone, let's loot this room.

2/42 Shine Sprites! :toot:

The keys in this castle are all remarkably easy to find.

: This is Hooktail Castle. The door up on that platform to the right is hard to reach. I wonder if the switch on the right might control the block that could get us up there... Looks like a job for Koops...

This room is full of Dull Bones, but they're old hat at this point. So let's jump over to the puzzle.

Have you learned how to use Koops's hold ability yet? You should get on that!

These rafters have seen better days.

Before we use the airplane panel, let's look on the far side of the room.

:toot:

Moving on...

We're back in this tall room again.

Hit the yellow arrow block with Koops and grab the key.

Then drop down a floor to grab...

This can be pretty handy if you're going for a danger build. The downside, though, is that you now need to redo all the puzzles from the past 5 minutes to get back to where we were.

Luckily this is a screenshot LP which means you all are spared that experience again. None of the monsters respawned, so it was just using Koops's hold ability repeatedly.

3/42 Shine Sprites. This also means that we now can power up one of our partners when we return to Rogueport! :toot:

But that will have to wait for later, because that was the end of this update. Join me next time when we fight Hooktail and end this chapter! Are you guys excited?

See y'all then!

No highlights this time.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 21, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure it's at least professional discourtesy to assume every thief is after every valuable thing. You're only as good as your desires or your fence, and if she can't move the Crystal Star and doesn't want to keep it, why take it?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Well she's very clearly into the whole thieving thing for the thrill of it, so there's that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'm in the middle of writing the next update, but while I do so, I have a poll for you all to fight amongst yourselves about. It's about which partner will receive the first upgrade. Voting will be open until sometime Friday afternoon.

http://strawpoll.me/7146655

I also forgot one of the music links in the previous update. I already edited it in, but here it is for the sake of reference.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcsSOAenpnUc

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That tie...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone. Are you all ready to close out the chapter and face the dread dragon, Hooktail?

: Mario, take a look at this! It's like you could reach out and touch the sky, huh? Looking out from the heights makes my head go goomby... I mean... I mean goony!

This is the last screen of the chapter, and fittingly it's the hardest.

Leaving aside the fact that one of the koopas has a POW Block, just look at this group. These guys aren't kidding around.

The screen is pretty short, however. There's only 3 encounters on the bridge, and another at the top of this tower.

The tower itself is a good 15-20 seconds of just walking in a circle up. We're definitely pretty high up!

Anyway, this group of enemies is the last encounter in the chapter. These guys in particular are gonna give you a hard time if you don't engage in crowd control. Of course, if you can't clear this group, then you have absolutely no business taking on Hooktail.

Are you all ready for Hooktail? Let's ensure we're ready, first.

Don't forget to equip the "cr" "icket" badge.

: Who dares approach me?

https://zippy.gfycat.com/WindyPolishedGerenuk.webm

Hooktail's Theme

: Hmm... So... You are friends of the strange-garbed one who came earlier? I didn't expect more to come to steal the treasure I protect... Such rashness... That was foolish, I fear. Do you really think you can beat me?

This game does scale so nicely. This imagery combined with the music I linked earlier really drives home the point that you're about to get into a fight with a goddamned dragon.

: But you're so small. And you don't appear tasty. I suppose you might make a good snack. And the bottoms of your feet smell like they might make a good sauce with some spices. What I'll do is saute you to crispy goodness and gobble you down... HEADFIRST!

Hooktail Battle

https://zippy.gfycat.com/NeighboringNaughtyHectorsdolphin.webm

: Snack time, little appetizers! But which one of you morsels should I taste first?

I left out some information from that tattle image I made. I think you'll understand why when you see what it says...

: Oh, yeah, and one more thing. It hates things that start with "cr" and end with "icket". Supposedly, there's something related to that somewhere in this castle. Did we find it?

The game has done a pretty good job of beating into our head what Hooktail's weakness is. Kolorado's dad's corpse mentioned it, Ms. Mowz mentioned it, and now Goombella is ALSO mentioning it... in the tattle data for the Hooktail fight itself. That you can't run from. This point is officially too late to mention what the dragon's weakness is. I understand perfectly why they want you to know what the boss's weakness is. Without the Attack FX R badge, this fight is really loving hard.

Also the tattle image I created looked like crap. That's also a good reason to leave the extra text out.

Anyway, when Mario attacks Hooktail with the aforementioned badge...

: Bleck! That awful sound! It... sounds like a cricket! How did you know? Stop that this instant! Urp... I got really bad... ugh... food poisoning once when I ate a cricket. I HATE them! Oh... Fight it, Hooky... Just hearing a cricket chirp makes me feel woozy!

With the cricket sound badge equipped, every time we damage Hooktail, her defense drops to 0 for the next turn or so. Her attack damage also drops quite a bit. As you might imagine, that makes this fight pretty easy. Furthermore, it appears that hearing the cricket noise repeatedly drops her attack to absolute minimum. Later on in the fight there are turns where I take zero damage from Hooktail because I blocked the attack.

As pictured. Goombella is blocking a single damage from Hooktail here, which means that she's only dealing 3 damage with this fire breath attack. Also pictured: why I love the Pretty Lucky badge. Mario is having none of that fire breath crap and just sidestepped it.

Hooktail's other attack of note is this. She slams her hand down hard on either Mario or his partner. It deals a bit more damage than the fire breath, but isn't anything you can't handle if you're using the cricket badge. Speaking of which, Hooktail occasionally pips up upon hearing the cricket noises.

: Ooooog... Must... not... gag... My poor tummy... Uuuuurp... So very woozy...

Anyway, Hooktail falls to 0 HP in short time.

: W-Wait! Hold up a moment! I give up! Please! I won't be so bad anymore. I promise! In fact, I'm sorry! For everything! Er... Yeah...

Well... 1,000 coins is a lot... That's like 10 extra lives in most Mario games!

: Delicious! I knew you would! Money makes the world turn! Now, come get your coins...

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ZigzagFastAsianlion.webm

: OHHHH ho ho ho ho ho ho! You were completely duped by my ingenious ruse!
: How cowardly!
: You senseless yokels! Nothing in life is that easy! Your gullibility did you in!

Rewinding a bit... Of course we wouldn't take 1,000 coins. This dragon has been terrorizing innocent folks for a very long time and needs to pay for her crimes!

: What? You must be joking! You don't need any coins? Then how about the lovely, rare, extra-special badge I have? I'll give you that.

Now you're speaking my language!

: Of course you want it! Who wouldn't? Now, come here and get your badge...

From here, things play out the same as before. Hooktail bites us, Koops is disgusted, etc, etc. So let's rewind again and turn her down.

: Errrr.. Really?!?

:dogbutton:

: People pay good money to do this. I'm being completely honest right now. Really.

If we say yes to the... :barf: deal...

: Heh heh heh... Thought so. No nostril contact, though! Now! Come here and sniff!

A foot fetishist translated this. That's the ONLY explanation. Also things proceed as above again. She bites us, etc, etc, etc. So time to rewind one more time.

: Hrrrrrrrrmmmmm! You aren't a very trusting fellow, are you? It's important to be able to trust someone, you know. Err... I guess I'd better...

At this point all four paths converge.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ShadowyRespectfulHammerheadshark.webm

Show of hands. Who expected the audience would ever get involved in a battle like this?

: That's just not right!

: Ohhh ho ho ho ho ho ho! Ahhh! Now my strength has returned to me!
: I've had enough of this! Let's finish this guy off fast, Mario!

Now for the second half of the boss fight. Hooktail now has 10 more HP, and we're now actually fighting in the middle of where the audience used to sit. Nothing else about the fight has changed, however. Including the dragon's weakness to crickets.

: Blurp! Why do I always have to feel so faint every time I hear a... urp... cricket?

A neat touch is that during this second half, as you beat on her, random audience members escape from her mouth. However, given that the boss has 0 defense because of the weakness, there's absolutely no surprise when she does down for the count.

: B-But... I... I... GURK! How? Why? There's still so much I wanted to do with my life... So many meals...

But what if you didn't have the Attack FX R badge for whatever reason? Maybe you couldn't find it, maybe you just couldn't be bothered to equip it. Whatever the reason, you're in for a bad time. So if you want to challenge yourself in such a fashion, you should do all that you can to stack the deck heavily in your favor.

Which explains why we're all the way back in Rogueport, in Merlon's shop. This next series of screenshots is strictly non-canon as far as the LP is concerned. This is solely a what-if scenario. So I'm gonna show some stuff off early.

In this case, I chose to power up Goombella. This was probably the worse of the two choices for the fight, but I didn't think of that at the time.

I chose Goombella because it means I don't have to waste a precious turn swapping out partners after using tattle.

: SHA-ZIBBY! SHA-ZOOBY!

https://fat.gfycat.com/RegularSnivelingAtlanticbluetang.webm

: Then you may go!

On our way out of the sewers, I see some bars we can slip behind. The place this pipe leads us can potentially also swing the upcoming fight in our favor. You'll see why shortly.

We're in the background layer now. The house at the far end of the path leads to the last of the Mer-people we have yet to meet: Merlee. She sells curses.

: This is Merlee the charmer's house. With her charms, you get random bonuses in battle. It costs a few coins, but I hear it's totally worth it.

: Hello. Welcome. I'm Merlee. Underground, cute as can be! A fortune-teller, that is me. Lucky for you, coming here. I tell fortunes, have no fear! :h: Let my mystic power tell of days to come... more, as well. For luck sits on my spells.

Hell yeah we do!

: That's good. That's great! Choose your path to fate! :h:

For the purposes of demonstrating this for the LP, 20 coins is sufficient. The more you pay, the more "uses" you'll get out of her curses. Pay 5 coins and you get 5 curses. 20 coins gives you 10, and 50 coins gets you 20. You can only ever have one curse active at a time, naturally.

So what do these curses do? Well, they appear completely at random during or after battle. During battle, Merlee can "curse" you with 3 more attack or defense for a single turn. Post-battle she can double either the amount of coins that enemies drop, or if you're extremely lucky, the amount of star points that you earn. It's usually a good idea to ensure that you're properly "cursed" before you head out to each individual chapter.

: OK. That's fine by me! So, ready? Ready for me? OK... Here we go! :h:

: My mystic power can make you smile! :h: In battle, you'll win with style! Even if nasty foes arrive, you'll be fine since my fortune will thrive! :h: OK! Come again! See you soon! See you then! Good-bye! :h:

Video Highlight: Hooktail But Harder :siren::siren::siren:

You should watch this video to see just how mean the boss fight gets. Also beware the related videos because for whatever reason, the Polsy wrapper doesn't like timecodes.

So let's do this again, but harder. Absolutely no dialogue changes if you don't have Attack FX R equipped. So all the changes are a lack of content and an abundance of hurting.

Like this. Look at that damage. Hooktail does not mess around in "hard mode".

I feel I should mention that if I hadn't powered Goombella up, she wouldn't be dealing any damage whatsoever. Koops was probably a better choice to power up, as he would have been dealing 3 damage per action command.

The palm slam deals 5 damage if you don't block it. I really want to emphasize how much the game is doing to suggest you should reset and find the dragon's weakness. This hard version of the fight is a straight damage race, and you're going to lose it unless you're at the absolute top of your game.

Thankfully I had a Courage Shell sitting around, which honestly probably saved Goombella from being turned into a fine paste.

This is a really bad situation to be in right here. One more fire breath and it's game over! Luckily that screenshot was taken after the first half of the fight was over and done with.

The regeneration badge and my investment in mushrooms are also paying immense dividends. Now for the bad news...

Bosses are immune to Mr. Softener.

Goombella also gets a pretty rare and curious status effect that would be useful in any other (non boss) fight in the game. I'm not sure if it's her defense or just because she's a boss, but Hooktail took no damage from palm slamming and electrified Goombella.

It was around this point in the battle where I started to get desperate. I had completely run out of items except for a single Honey Syrup and the Life Shroom.

Thankfully Hooktail died before I did, because I wasn't gonna be able to hold on until my star meter recharged again. Also pictured: a couple toads escaping from Hooktail's mouth.

See this white square? That means that Merlee is coming to give us a curse.

:staredog: That is 60% of a level. From a single fight. I did not plan that in any way and did nothing to make that trigger. Indeed, there is no way that I'm aware of to make Merlee appear on demand. That was pure luck of the draw and it kills me to have to load my savestate and undo this.

No matter how you got there, eventually the fight ends.

: Wow! We actually pulled it off, Mario! Now all we have to do is find that Crystal Star thing you're looking for, Mario.
: Oooo... Ooooooooooooo...

Reunion

: YAAAAAAAAAAAH! I'm out! I'm finally out!
: WHOA! It... It can't be!
: Eh?
: Da... DAD?!?
: Hey! You're... You're Koops! Hey, Son! You've gotten so big since I saw you last!
: Well, yeah, I guess I have... But who cares, Dad? I mean, golly! What happened to you? Where've you been all this time?
: Well, I came here a while back to deal with Hooktail, and all was well and good... But just before my finishing blow, she played a trick on me and gobbled me down whole. I've been hiding in my shell for the ten years since then... inside Hooktail's belly! And boy, was it nasty! Yuck! I'm so glad to finally get out! Ahh ha ha ha ha ha!
: Honestly, Dad... Don't you know how worried about you we all were? For ten long years we all thought you'd... you know! We thought your game was over!
: Oh, sorry, Son, but... I'm OK! That's good, right? We're together now, right?

This exchange kind of bothers me. Koops is finally reunited with his dad after a decade and he acts like his dad was lost in the local forest for a few hours instead of trapped in a dragon's stomach. I'm pretty sure if my dad went missing for 10 years I wouldn't be chiding him for making everyone worry.

: Hey, speaking of which... What are you doing here, anyway?
: Oh, come on, Dad... I came here to defeat Hooktail, who's been wreaking havoc in town. And Mr. Mario here is looking for a gem called the Crystal Star.

: ...Crystal Star? This wouldn't be what you're talking about, would it?

: What's THAT?
: I found it down there in Hooktail's belly. Nice, huh? I kept it as a souvenir. So... this is the thing you're looking for?
: Perfect! Just perfect! You can have it!

: Come now! I won't take no for an answer. You're Koops's friend. Please take it!

Koopley is good people... err, koopa. Whatever. You know what I mean. He's an awesome guy.

Crystal Star Get

Listen to that track. It only plays a handful of times and is pretty drat triumphant. Rest assured that any time it plays, you earned hearing it. While you're at it...

End of Chapter

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ForthrightRareIndianglassfish.webm

Be sure to also listen to that track for similar reasons.

: Mario and friends finally got a Crystal Star in the castle after defeating Hooktail. Koops even reunited with his long-lost father, whom he thought was dead. Yet they were unable to learn anything about the whereabouts of the princess. Where could Princess peach be? Yes... Mario's adventure has only just begun.

See you guys next time when we find out just what happened to Peach. And if you all are good, we may even learn something about one of Mario's longtime pals.

:sugartits:

Video: Hooktail Easy, Merlon, Merlee, and Hooktail Hard

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Rank 2 Koops is better against Hooktail than Rank 2 Goombella? I don't see how that works out.

Goombella attacks 2 times for 1 damage each (2 base - 1 defense).
Koops attacks 1 time for 2 damage (3 base - 1 defense).
Looks equal to me.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

MightyPretenders posted:

Rank 2 Koops is better against Hooktail than Rank 2 Goombella? I don't see how that works out.

Goombella attacks 2 times for 1 damage each (2 base - 1 defense).
Koops attacks 1 time for 2 damage (3 base - 1 defense).
Looks equal to me.

Your math is a bit off. Rank 2 Koops deals 4 base damage.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

I wonder if it was the foot-smelling trick that Koops's dad fell for. That would be an interesting conversation.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

are there any attack up items available at this point? one of those plus multibonk would shred hooktail.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Cat paw pad scent is apparently a thing in Japan. I guess dragons are sufficiently catlike to qualify? I'm not saying cats would totally eat their audience if they could, but... no, actually, cats would totally eat their audience if they could.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
When I was a kid, my cousins do I had to face a fully powered Hooktail because while we found the badge, it didn't sound like a cricket to us, so we didn't equip it. :v: The fight is possible without upgrading your partners, but I think we evenly spread out the stats we leveled up between HP, FP, and BP, so we were able to just outlast Hooktail.

Also I love how the dialogue choices have personality instead of being just yes or no options.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 22, 2016

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

: That's just not right!

Pretty much my exact reaction to the second part of the fight. I was not expecting that from a Mario game. Is it possible to have Luigi in the audience for this fight? If so, that's pretty funny / messed up.

Great job on the hard version! It does take some resource management to pull that off and you can't rely on Sweet Treat either when the audience disappears. Having Koops in front helps a lot with mitigating damage from the stomps. Interestingly, that attack is one of the few in the game that cannot be superguarded.

I love the whole getting the crystal star sequence. The music and the animations just feel so... triumphant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Southhouse- posted:

Pretty much my exact reaction to the second part of the fight. I was not expecting that from a Mario game. Is it possible to have Luigi in the audience for this fight? If so, that's pretty funny / messed up.
It's easier to see in some audience "formations" than in others, but there is a conspicuous group of Toads on the right-hand side that Hooktail will only ever eat.

Edit: you can actually see it in the hard Hooktail fight, where the entire rest of the audience is Koopa Troopas.

notoriousman fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2016

• Locked thread