Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

but nowhere is it real clear on if that is something that the insurance company submits to the gov and all of that is behind the scenes, or if there is some active part that I need to take to get approved.

I have helped a few people using the the federal site, and will tell you how it has worked for them. Not knowing your situation, state etc, I can't guarantee it will be the same for you.

Going through healthcare.gov, you will put in your info and see a variety of options. They will display like you showed, a monthly premium taking into account subsidies, and the "real" number as well. If you sign up for one, it will work along these lines:

You will pay your monthly premium minus subsidies (the physically larger, numerically smaller, number shown in your image) directly to the insurance company. The Federal government will pay the difference (the subsidies you qualify for) directly, and that process is invisible to you. There is no other action to be done to affect that other than signing up for the plan with those subsides.

However, the actual subsidies you receive are based on your actual income for the year. Meaning, at tax time, these items are reconciled. If you earned more than you estimated in the signup, you will owe some money to the government. If you earned less, you may have been eligible for a larger subsidy, and they give the difference, increasing your tax refund.

When I walked through it, before you finalized signup, there was an option about how much of the subsidy you wanted to take. For example. if you were eligible for a $400 you could elect to have the government pay any amount up to that 400 max towards your premium, with you covering the difference. This is so you can hedge a little on your anticipated income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread