Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, I bought a physical copy in a print+pdf bundle, but the tracking I got for the package isn't working. Is that just an irrelevant clerical error on the system's part or an error that needs fixing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So although the rules text for the Discretion skill is simply that you can choose to take a penalty on any opposed roll, the intended use for it is for if an ally gets caught in an aoe of one of your abilities so that there's a greater chance of them coming out of it unharmed correct?

Another question just to be absolutely certain, you cannot use the combination of Blast Radius and Multiple Targets modifiers to hit a single target more than once due to overlapping aoes right? I read the special section for multiple targets, I just want to be sure I'm not misinterpreting it.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 19, 2016

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Eopia posted:

So although the rules text for the Discretion skill is simply that you can choose to take a penalty on any opposed roll, the intended use for it is for if an ally gets caught in an aoe of one of your abilities so that there's a greater chance of them coming out of it unharmed correct?

Another question just to be absolutely certain, you cannot use the combination of Blast Radius and Multiple Targets modifiers to hit a single target more than once due to overlapping aoes right? I read the special section for multiple targets, I just want to be sure I'm not misinterpreting it.

1. This is correct.

2. There is exactly one circumstance in which one tech can hit the same target more than once, and that's if it hits both A and B, and A uses Cover to tank the hit on B. Otherwise, it always hits a maximum of once, regardless of mods, attack nodes, or refraction points. So, you're right again.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ProfessorProf posted:

1. This is correct.

2. There is exactly one circumstance in which one tech can hit the same target more than once, and that's if it hits both A and B, and A uses Cover to tank the hit on B. Otherwise, it always hits a maximum of once, regardless of mods, attack nodes, or refraction points. So, you're right again.

Thanks for clearing those up. In the Boost Core the beginning of the special section is a bit confusing, it reads 'Using a Boost Technique on someone overlaps any other Boost they already had when it was used. It does not, however, override Weaken effects'. Is that overlaps supposed to be an override, or is it saying that separate boost techniques stack?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Wow, that text is kinda confusingly worded, now that I look at it.

Intent of the rules, at least, is that multiple Boosts stack, but multiple Boosts that grant the same Skill do not. So, if A Boosts B to give them Iron Defense, and C Boosts B to give them Iron Defense, they don't get Iron Defense level 2.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
While we're at clarifications, does using Muscle Guard still count as getting actually hit by the attack, including whatever additional effects the attack has? For example, unless the attack has Piercing Strike, the numbers don't really seem to make it likely for the attacker to have a high enough Damage Increment that can actually get through the target's Defense or Resistance.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Doresh posted:

While we're at clarifications, does using Muscle Guard still count as getting actually hit by the attack, including whatever additional effects the attack has? For example, unless the attack has Piercing Strike, the numbers don't really seem to make it likely for the attacker to have a high enough Damage Increment that can actually get through the target's Defense or Resistance.

Muscle Guard does not count as getting hit by the attack, so no other effects proc, but the chip damage taken is also unaffected by def/res. So, if an attack does 100 damage and immobilizes, the attacker has a DI of 10, and the defender has 30 defense:

On a hit: 100-30=70 damage, immobilized.
On a regular miss: 0 damage, not immobilized.
On a Muscle Guard miss: 10 damage, not immobilized.

This does result in some weird interactions with absurdly high defense vs. very weak attacks where a miss does more damage than a hit - these circumstances are super rare, and my houserule that I ought to talk about doing for errata is either that Muscle Guard doesn't take chip damage if the damage dealt would be less than the DI, or that any attack that hits automatically does at least DI damage.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Covok posted:

So, I bought a physical copy in a print+pdf bundle, but the tracking I got for the package isn't working. Is that just an irrelevant clerical error on the system's part or an error that needs fixing?

I'm experiencing the same issue.

Also, I dunno if it's just me, but that pdfs seems to be incredibly unoptimized and prone to not loading tables correctly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tsilkani posted:

I'm experiencing the same issue.

Also, I dunno if it's just me, but that pdfs seems to be incredibly unoptimized and prone to not loading tables correctly.

Hopefully, it's just because they chose not use usps and not due to an issuse with our orders.

Also, yeah, the pdf is more than a bit unoptimized. It can take a while to load.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Covok posted:

Hopefully, it's just because they chose not use usps and not due to an issuse with our orders.

Also, yeah, the pdf is more than a bit unoptimized. It can take a while to load.

Your package should be on its way, I can check in with USPS and see what's going on.

As to the PDF, it was originally optimized for our print edition so there may be some conversion issues. When we get the errata run out I'll see if we can smooth some of the PDF performance.

sheepyton
Feb 16, 2016

Covok posted:

I'll check the number again and send it to the email you used to order it shortly.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Something I've noticed while looking through the technique modifiers and limits is that there doesn't seem to be any that have any special interaction when you use Guts as the primary attribute for the technique instead of one of the other four attributes. I mean there's little things like Strength based techniques getting or losing range, Mind based techniques being able to have selective aoes earlier, Spirit based techniques having an easier time with being ranged with better AOE areas or cheaper costs, but nothing at all for Guts.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
That's because you can't build guts-based damaging techniques. It's a very powerful defensive stat (it has the best HP scaling, the best defensive sub rules, and a bunch of nice defensive skills key into it), but the tradeoff is that you can't rely on it for attacking.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ProfessorProf posted:

That's because you can't build guts-based damaging techniques. It's a very powerful defensive stat (it has the best HP scaling, the best defensive sub rules, and a bunch of nice defensive skills key into it), but the tradeoff is that you can't rely on it for attacking.

That seems fair, I've been jumping around in the book a lot and knew you couldn't use it for the Damage Core, but I was thinking more along the lines of using it for Boost or Healing. One question on the Barrier core, it says to select Aura or Intuition for its attribute unlike others which list the primary attributes, that would mean the technique gets the bonuses/penalties of it being Spirit or Mind based, right?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Eopia posted:

That seems fair, I've been jumping around in the book a lot and knew you couldn't use it for the Damage Core, but I was thinking more along the lines of using it for Boost or Healing. One question on the Barrier core, it says to select Aura or Intuition for its attribute unlike others which list the primary attributes, that would mean the technique gets the bonuses/penalties of it being Spirit or Mind based, right?

That is correct.

(Guts tanks who use Guts for healing don't need any more ways to be nigh-unkillable, honestly.)

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Eopia posted:

Guts has a bit of benefit from having neutral value for all things, so range of 3, line of 3, things like that. It doesn't suffer some of the penalties on range that Strength does, for example, so you can still do Boosts, Weakens, and Healing with a pretty decent value, it just won't be outstripping the spellcaster-geared attributes.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Looking through the PDF, how fast is PC/NPC generation? Because PCs and NPCs being constructed the same way gives me horrifying flashbacks to 3.PF, among other systems.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

NachtSieger posted:

Looking through the PDF, how fast is PC/NPC generation? Because PCs and NPCs being constructed the same way gives me horrifying flashbacks to 3.PF, among other systems.

It's a bit time-consuming before you get used to it - I can put one together in 5 minutes, but it takes some system mastery before that happens. We're working on a monster manual right now to make that easier.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

ProfessorProf posted:

It's a bit time-consuming before you get used to it - I can put one together in 5 minutes, but it takes some system mastery before that happens. We're working on a monster manual right now to make that easier.

This is also why we release regular adventures on our site, it's meant to serve as a bridge until we are able to release Valorous Foes since we do recognize it can be time consuming for new players to the system. We'll also be giving out advance copies of Valorous Foes for testing to Kickstarter backers at the very least since we want to get it into people's hands as soon as possible.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Eopia posted:

I've also seen it used in cases where one party member is fighting another and doesn't want to hurt them, but whether situations like that are going to happen depends on the story and characters.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

ProfessorProf posted:

Muscle Guard does not count as getting hit by the attack, so no other effects proc, but the chip damage taken is also unaffected by def/res. So, if an attack does 100 damage and immobilizes, the attacker has a DI of 10, and the defender has 30 defense:

On a hit: 100-30=70 damage, immobilized.
On a regular miss: 0 damage, not immobilized.
On a Muscle Guard miss: 10 damage, not immobilized.

This does result in some weird interactions with absurdly high defense vs. very weak attacks where a miss does more damage than a hit - these circumstances are super rare, and my houserule that I ought to talk about doing for errata is either that Muscle Guard doesn't take chip damage if the damage dealt would be less than the DI, or that any attack that hits automatically does at least DI damage.

Aaah, now it makes sense. A miss is still a miss, but there's a tradeoff.

I'd probably go with the houserule as it doesn't change too much in the grand scheme of things. Then again, the imagine of someone like roided-out Muten-Roshi getting hurt by a puny attack because he flexed his muscles too hard is hilarious.

ProfessorProf posted:

I think what can work for more generic bad guys (or those from a similar school of fighting) is to make some level-up packages beforehand, based on what role you want him to play.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Doresh posted:

Aaah, now it makes sense. A miss is still a miss, but there's a tradeoff.

I'd probably go with the houserule as it doesn't change too much in the grand scheme of things. Then again, the imagine of someone like roided-out Muten-Roshi getting hurt by a puny attack because he flexed his muscles too hard is hilarious.

That's something we strove for for all of the defensive abilities, each one is intended to feel a bit different and unique to its own method - flubbing a Dexterity dodge means you take extra damage because you accidentally ran into the attack instead of away from it, Aura consumes Stamina as you create a shield to block the attack, Intuition temporarily drops your Initiative as you carefully avoid the attack, and Resolve just lets you facetank something if you're valorous enough.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So I'm unsure about how Combination Attack actually works. Does it let you take the rest of your turn after making said combination attack after your allies turn resolves? Can you delay your turn after having used your Support and Move actions but not your attack, or is using it basically making a Slow action attack that resolves on your allies turn?

Also, the Intimidating Transformation modifier seems to lack any rules for what happens if you win the opposed roll?

Cirina fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 20, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Eopia posted:

So I'm unsure about how Combination Attack actually works. Does it let you take the rest of your turn after making said combination attack after your allies turn resolves? Can you delay your turn after having used your Support and Move actions but not your attack, or is using it basically making a Slow action attack that resolves on your allies turn?

It mentions how your Initiative is set to right before your ally, so you probably take your turn before the attack. And I think it just requires whatever Action you need for the attack you're trying to pull off.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Eopia posted:

Also, the Intimidating Transformation modifier seems to lack any rules for what happens if you win the opposed roll?

It requires you to delay your turn until right before your ally, after which you can act normally.

Thank you for catching Intimidating Transformation I've added that to my Errata list. It gives the Shaken status.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Reading through it now, and I think my first houserule would be to add a mounted limit for techniques; the Companion limit doesn't quite make sense, since companions disappear while being ridden, technically, and you could use it for your knight on horseback with lance /dragon knight on dragon back with dragon lance /plains villager with the true fire rune on griffin-back, etc.

I know it's a weird and specific rule, but it seemed like a weird omission with all the mount stuff already present in the companion rules.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 21, 2016

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

unseenlibrarian posted:

Reading through it now, and I think my first houserule would be to add a mounted limit for techniques; the Companion limit doesn't quite make sense, since companions disappear while being ridden, technically, and you could use it for your knight on horseback with lance /dragon knight on dragon back with dragon lance /plains villager with the true fire rune on griffin-back, etc.

I know it's a weird and specific rule, but it seemed like a weird omission with all the mount stuff already present in the companion rules.

That particular limit is actually planned for Tools of the Trade, as well as several other limits to expand the Companion skillset more. Mount is indeed intended for the Knight-style character, I think current testing for the limit puts it at a 3 ST reduction.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Mmh, since Initiative Limit seems to be a permanent reduction, is there a way to get your Initiative up again?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Doresh posted:

Mmh, since Initiative Limit seems to be a permanent reduction, is there a way to get your Initiative up again?

There isn't - however,to run into that limit, you'd have to be extremely slow or use the technique something like ten times in a single scene. I've never seen it happen.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

ProfessorProf posted:

There isn't - however,to run into that limit, you'd have to be extremely slow or use the technique something like ten times in a single scene. I've never seen it happen.

So it's basically a funky version of Ammunition?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Doresh posted:

So it's basically a funky version of Ammunition?

Yup! It's like Ammo Limit, but with a higher ammo count + impact on the turn order if you overdo it.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Behold the Void posted:

It requires you to delay your turn until right before your ally, after which you can act normally.

Thank you for catching Intimidating Transformation I've added that to my Errata list. It gives the Shaken status.

Wait, wait, so you have to delay your entire turn, not just your attack? I kinda did have that suspicion after rereading the Skill. Looks like I've been playing it wrong.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Wait, wait, so you have to delay your entire turn, not just your attack? I kinda did have that suspicion after rereading the Skill. Looks like I've been playing it wrong.

I'll tighten up the text with the errata to make it clear. Essentially you're just waiting until an ally attacks and attacking together.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So I've got a question about Ultimate Techniques, it says 'An Ultimate Technique is gained three levels higher than you Character Level' but I'm not quite sure what that actually means. Ah wait, it was in the leveling up benefits box. So you get it at level+3 for free at levels 5/10/15/20 and they can be upgraded as usual.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 22, 2016

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Eopia posted:

So I've got a question about Ultimate Techniques, it says 'An Ultimate Technique is gained three levels higher than you Character Level' but I'm not quite sure what that actually means. Ah wait, it was in the leveling up benefits box. So you get it at level+3 for free at levels 5/10/15/20 and they can be upgraded as usual.

That's right - at level 5, you get a free tech level 8 Ultimate Attack or Transformation. After that, you can upgrade it using Tech Points as if it were a normal technique.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Can't wait til my book gets here. Already signed up for a DBZ PbP here and I have a feeling some of my roleplaying group will want to use it for the same purpose.

Sucks not having a good tracking number.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Tsilkani posted:

Can't wait til my book gets here. Already signed up for a DBZ PbP here and I have a feeling some of my roleplaying group will want to use it for the same purpose.

Sucks not having a good tracking number.

Did you just order your book yesterday? If so we should be able to get tracking to you tomorrow. Feel free to email our store account and we can work it out.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

No, I grabbed it from IPR on the 17th.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Tsilkani posted:

No, I grabbed it from IPR on the 17th.

Ahh. Can't help you with that one then, sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

This system seems really cool, though I doubt I'll ever get a chance to play it. I'm also seconding Countblanc's concerns regarding whether it's balanced, however. Point buy systems (especially ones with flaws and transformations) make me nervous.

• Locked thread