Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Ysengrin posted:

Also, any recommendations for running mass combat? I've been treating "units" of flunkies as moving and rolling on the same turn order, and in mook v mook combat I just abstract it to "everyone in the unit rolls to hit, everyone in the unit rolls to defend, remove however many hits went through from the defenders without caring about the range" but any other thoughts?

Edit: Said friend was interested in getting a physical copy of the book, is there anywhere that she can? The storenvy shop is "Under Construction."

Mass combat is an excellent use of the Challenge Scene rules. It depends on how big/important the battle is. For a smaller combat scene, just use a Meter for each army's Strength (reduce enemy to 1 to win battle) and Morale (reduce to give enemy army penalties to rolls). For a bigger one, you could use a Meter or two to track the overall progress of the fight, and 'zoom in' to major exchanges within the larger battle where the PCs are relevant forces, then run those as Combat Scenes. For just kinda big fights, I do generally roll all identical guys within a wad of flunkies/soldiers on a single initiative count. I recently had a scene with the PCs caught in the middle of a larger battle between two sides, and when enemy Flunkies were going head to head, I just had them do an opposed roll and the loser got knocked out.

Will ask Void re: getting a physical book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I had a little morale meter set up for the battle, where it would shift +1 if they:
*Wiped out a unit of flunkies
*Defeated someone soldier tier or higher (double points if it's done with style or a crit)
*Made a Leadership roll to demoralize/rally their troops
And for every 2 points in the meter their units got +1 to rolls, and at 10 the enemy side morale breaks and runs.

I think part of the problem might've been I made the meter too long (10 points going both directions, when it could have been 5). I think I'll take your abstraction for the head-to-head stuff as well, I actually had some simple sheets for each of the flunky unit types because they wanted to fight side-by-side with their units and manage what types of guys they had. But having to do all those rolls gets tedious, even though they all enjoyed it, and I'd rather not turn every fight involving an army into that much of a slugfest.

Fun once, but not as much fun on repeat occasions.

Maybe add in a few once-per-scene powers based on their troop composition, instead of having them present would be a decent compromise? Like "you can call for your archers to strike this spot from off map" deal.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Here's the actual Storenvy page, Something is up with the link on the site right now.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Are there templates for building monsters at all? Doesn't need to be an editable PDF, but was wondering if there was something similar to a character sheet to fill out for bad guys I want to make.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

S.J. posted:

Are there templates for building monsters at all? Doesn't need to be an editable PDF, but was wondering if there was something similar to a character sheet to fill out for bad guys I want to make.

You can basically just use a regular character sheet for enemies, too (just remember the math is different on some types).

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

NPCs are pretty much built like players, just with changes to some of the math. And Elites are literally PCs, in terms of sheet building.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah I know, I was just hoping for a different looking sheet because reasons :v:

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

Yeah I know, I was just hoping for a different looking sheet because reasons :v:

Alas, none that I know of. Maybe modifying one of those 4e monster card pdfs would work? Like these here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1193

Or this http://crobi.github.io/rpg-cards/generator/generate.html
Click load sample on that and it'll generate a sample of how to make spell/monster cards.

Also, finally got to use the army stuff last night and it worked pretty well. Nighttime bandit ambush since the party was roaming in a dangerous area and messed up on setting up traps, just spawned endless waves of level 1 flunkies to toss at them while they had a broken circle of wagons to use as soft cover, an outer ring of trees that worked as rough terrain, and offscreen there was the battle between the rest of their army and the bandits.

Made it so their units had two powers to them, some onscreen power they could only call once per unit as a support action that generally used one of their army squares as an origin point, and an offscreen power which was basically Fire Emblem light in mechanics. A unit gets a broad classification, an armor type, and a weapon which is good against two things (eg a longsword is +1 vs axes +1 vs light armor). When it came time for an army roll, told them to pick one of their units to lead the attack that turn while I randomly picked one, compared the two so we could figure out bonuses, then did a roll. Winner kills off ten dudes of the other side, and shifts morale 1 in their favor.

They seemed to like it, simple enough to grasp and makes everything their army does be under their "command" so to speak. Also helped kick the combat length down to about 3 rounds, since they effectively used their archers' offscreen power to scour clumps of units in conjunction with personally fighting.

Edit: All their units had cards like this

Ysengrin fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 18, 2017

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

A question about the Recharge skill: when it says to pay half the stamina cost of the original technique, does it mean with limiter cost reduction applied or without? Now that I think about it, how does that interact with the Overload Limits skill?

Rorac fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 23, 2017

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Rorac posted:

A question about the Recharge skill: when it says to pay half the stamina cost of the original technique, does it mean with limiters applied or without?

With, and yes, it's a little open to abuse as written. Something to look into for errata, maybe.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

By the way I just want to say that this is a really cool game. I made a character so that I could understand the mechanics of it and make it easier to teach others if I end up running a game (and if I run anything, I think it'll be Valor due to it's mechanical simplicity, it seems good for a first time GM). In the process of doing so, just by building a set of techniques, skills and flaws the character's personality just sort of developed on it's own. I dunno how you did it but that's kind of incredible to me.

masam
May 27, 2010
So if I wanted to make a recurring character based off of carmen San Diego. I assume I'd have to make up some techniques for her. Because I'm thinking a debuff stealing move similar to mimic but it robs them of their ability to use that move for a turn or two. I don't want to make it too long where they'll get upset but the whole "greatest thief in the world thing is kinda the concept behind her. Also I just want an excuse to play "where in the world is carmen San Diego," and watch my players get jumpy.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

masam posted:

So if I wanted to make a recurring character based off of carmen San Diego. I assume I'd have to make up some techniques for her. Because I'm thinking a debuff stealing move similar to mimic but it robs them of their ability to use that move for a turn or two. I don't want to make it too long where they'll get upset but the whole "greatest thief in the world thing is kinda the concept behind her. Also I just want an excuse to play "where in the world is carmen San Diego," and watch my players get jumpy.

Mimic techs + Seal active skill.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
So, a few more sessions under my belt and now my players and I are brainstorming some extra ideas for limits and wanted to ask if anyone had any good ideas for numbers for them.

Counter Support: Basically expands Counter Attack to let you use any core, benefits from the same skills that affect Counter Attack (eg Interrupt). Thinking of doing 3 sp for it.

Weakpoint Limit: This technique can only be used on someone with a specific flaw applied to them via a Weaken Core or Debilitating Damage Core. The idea was something like "character slaps several enemies with a talismen that makes them vulnerable to element X, and only those foes can then be harmed by a bunch of attacks that have this limit." Sort of a variant of the Sequence Limit where you don't have reapply it as frequently, but it requires you or an ally to set up with a previous action still. Was figuring that it'd be worth 2 points of stamina, since Sequence is 4 but this lasts longer and lets you potentially use a wider variety of attacks.

Ysengrin fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 20, 2017

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
A friend of mine told me about this game and I'll be completely honest, I'm tempted as gently caress to pick it up despite having lost my IRL RP group.

Since you guys seem at least semi-active around here and all, I guess I can ask directly; How hard is it to make a Kamen Rider type character in this system? Is there special rules for characters who want to shift from one form to another during battle (I.e. a swift dodging gun based form, a heavily armored hammer form, etc)?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Is there special rules for characters who want to shift from one form to another during battle (I.e. a swift dodging gun based form, a heavily armored hammer form, etc)?

It's something we're planning to support more thoroughly in future books. There's a few skills for it in the core rulebook, but it's seldom a particularly viable build right now. The kind of transformations that are most-easily supported are more of the weaker form -> stronger form variety.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

It's something we're planning to support more thoroughly in future books. There's a few skills for it in the core rulebook, but it's seldom a particularly viable build right now. The kind of transformations that are most-easily supported are more of the weaker form -> stronger form variety.

Darn.

Ah well! Buying this anyways! Good luck with the rest of your books and such and thank you for the response :)

pikabot
Oct 10, 2012
I've seen some talk about builds where instead of having a small number of max-level techniques, you have a greater number of lower-level techs, and a Boost/Transformation with Versatile Fighter on it. When you activate the Boost/Transform, you take that new TP from Versatile Fighter and distribute it to your different techs to power them up as suits the situation. That could work as a form of mode-switching.

Is it a viable build? I have no idea, since I don't think anyone's actually tried it out, or even theorycrafted it in detail. But it's a possibility.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Any advice on how to handle Boost/Weaken Cores that have a Fixed Skill/Flaw attached to them?

Example: A Weaken Core that applies Aggravated Wounds to a foe that already has Aggravated Wounds, or a Boost that applies Berserker to an ally that already has Berserker.

I was originally going to go on a case-by-case basis (eg Aggravated Wounds stacking, Berserker triggering rage if someone already has it) but I'm not too sure if that's the best way to go for it. Especially since they're fixed for good reasons.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
RAW is that applying a Fixed-level Flaw or Skill to someone that already has it has no effect. However, if you wanted to have fun with some weird case-by-case bonus effects, it probably wouldn't break the game in half.

Just don't let them do it with the Accuracy/Evasion buffs/debuffs under any circumstances.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Change Attributes skill, can it only be used with a transformation or with any boost technique?

pikabot
Oct 10, 2012
Change Attributes is no different from any other Boost Skill; it can be applied on a Boost or on a Transform.

Edit: Actually on review, the text is a bit more ambiguous about that? It doesn't explicitly say only with a Transformation, but it does sort of imply it by specifically mentioning Transformations.

I'd say 'ask your GM what they think', and if you are the GM, do whatever you want, so long as you're consistent about it. Having Change Attributes on a boost isn't going to crack the game in half, it's a very situational Boost Skill to begin with.

pikabot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 1, 2017

masam
May 27, 2010
So I was thinking of toying with the valor mechanic, and i came to ask questions. I felt that if the party wanted to avoid a wipe especially cause i intend to play fair and roll open with them in this game since they seem to think i'm a bit too much of a softy, of letting them survive if they get into TPK or close to is mode, but for the next couple sessions, (episodes? maybe an episode arc?) they start with a penalty to valor at the beginning of combat, while they recover, physically, mentally etc. The thing I was going to allow as a benefit for that was they can drop into negative valor to do one overdrive they have available but are defeated at negative five instead of negative ten for the combat they use it in. Thoughts? i have a bunch of players who like to be heroic but also ones who are pretty sure they know my gming style so i'm trying to change it up a bit with this as a start.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

masam posted:

So I was thinking of toying with the valor mechanic, and i came to ask questions. I felt that if the party wanted to avoid a wipe especially cause i intend to play fair and roll open with them in this game since they seem to think i'm a bit too much of a softy, of letting them survive if they get into TPK or close to is mode, but for the next couple sessions, (episodes? maybe an episode arc?) they start with a penalty to valor at the beginning of combat, while they recover, physically, mentally etc. The thing I was going to allow as a benefit for that was they can drop into negative valor to do one overdrive they have available but are defeated at negative five instead of negative ten for the combat they use it in. Thoughts? i have a bunch of players who like to be heroic but also ones who are pretty sure they know my gming style so i'm trying to change it up a bit with this as a start.

That seems like a fine idea to me, lets them do the heroic "push themselves beyond their limit" thing and then have to recover from narratively overtaxing themselves. Let them push themselves into negatives if they want (especially since there are already penalties anyways from going below) and then the next scene/battle they start at whatever negative level they ended at. Depending on how harsh you want the penalties to be, you could just have it last for one scene and then reset to normal, or for the rest of the session. You could even have it that they can continually overdrive themselves in negatives, along with the usual negative penalties, and let them risk burning themselves out at -10 as usual!

Other possible solutions to concerns about wiping: more frequent valor bonuses (so that they don't have to push themselves into negatives in the first place), or maybe special one-off items for a massive power boost at some cost (similar to what you're doing with negative valor, just from a different narrative standpoint really). Just alternative ideas, though again coming from a different angle than you were talking about so might not be what you want.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
A nice thing about the Valor system is that it includes a convenient, quiet way to auto-adjust fights if you're worried about a TPK - just have the enemies stop Overdriving until the party gets their poo poo together, and reward Valor more easily for roleplaying.

masam
May 27, 2010
I'm not going to lie it came from the idea of a semi permanent form of shaken that they can role play their way out of their crisis of faith in themselves, their friends, what they're fighting for, etc. It came up due to the idea i had for an npc that I can't decide whether i want them to be a has-been past his prime, or a never was who would make it to side kick at best no matter how hard they tried falling in front of the party as an option if things went super south. That idea spawned from a late night listening to different remixes on youtube, finding a melodic piano version of All Star, and wondering if i could get my players to give a drat about someone whose theme is varying style of All Star. But yeah i'm a total pushover for good role playing, so they won't have to worry about valor, i just like to poke at things and i'm trying to find a way to fit the goofy, but invested playstyle we have at my table with long term consequences that wind up being defining and then BAM SUPER MODE. which your system is pretty spot on for. Thus why i'm bugging you about it lol.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I have it on good authority that the official errata push is happening pretty soon.

In the meantime, I've made a lot of big updates to the roll20 sheet/scripts, like an initiative auto-roller and a random mook generator.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Did the PDF ever get bookmarks?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did the PDF ever get bookmarks?

I'm not 100%, but this might be happening with the errata rollout.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Seeing as that's my only major concern with the book I hope so. Other than that I'm looking forward to both running it and any future books that may come out in the future.

masam
May 27, 2010
So with the advent of gencon, I was wondering if you all were making an appearance as I have some friends who were hoping to pick up physical copies if you were

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

masam posted:

So with the advent of gencon, I was wondering if you all were making an appearance as I have some friends who were hoping to pick up physical copies if you were

Sadly, we couldn't make it out this year, but we're trying hard for both next Gencon and PAX Unplugged.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
I don't know if it's of any interest to other people but, I've been messing around with some custom modifiers for Valor and one that my players had fun with was an enemy only Artillery modifier.

Artillery
  • Applicable to: Damage Core
  • Damage: Changes to 24 + 8 per Core Power + Attack
  • Effect: This attack ignores all defense or resistance. When this attack is made, it strikes the targeted location at the beginning of the user's next turn, with the areas to be affected highlighted. An opponent can use Nullify on this attack to cancel it before it lands. Instead of rolling to hit, the attack roll is set to Active + 10.

Basically used to sort of give a big raid boss flavor to a Master class, or to make a dangerous cannon type enemy at the far end of a battlefield shelling them at range. Makes a scary attack that can do 1/3 to 1/2 of a player's health in one go,, but they're unlikely to be hit by it unless you've got mooks or an environment to box them in and even then they could have someone expend their support to nullify it. The set attack roll is just an additional "you really don't want to be here otherwise you're nearly guaranteed to be hurting" but isn't just an autohit in case they've got valor they want to spend to try and Overdrive out of it.

I used it for a mid-season 1 boss who happened to have flight, so that the party was split between the ranged characters working on whittling her down while the melee ones ran around using nullify to remove the artillery and clear out minions so they actually had room to dodge the ones they couldn't.

Speaking of that, anyone got any other custom modifiers?

masam
May 27, 2010
So any update on the foes book dude? i'm eagerly awaiting the release of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Right, I forgot to mention it in this thread! I am actually no longer an owner of Valor.

I'm in the process of selling my half of the company to my associate, who appeared briefly in this thread as behold_the_void. I no longer have any influence over or advance knowledge of the future of Valor, and will be moving forward as nothing more than a passionate fan.

Regarding Foes, the schedule was pushed back by the failed kickstarter, but I believe it's slated for a release in the first half of 2018. The statting work is generally done, but there's a lot of layout and art stuff left to manage. However, if you have the latest version of the Roll20 scripts, there's a command in there to autogenerate weak enemies. The format:
code:
> !mook -t {type} -l {level} -s {high stats}

Level = Number, 1-20
Type = soldier or flunky (default flunky)
High Stats = one to three of str/agi/mnd/spr/gut, separated by spaces

• Locked thread