Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I am not fanwanking his motivations, It's stuff that he internal-monologues over in the book. You could argue that it's still a failure on behalf of the show that they didn't delve into any of this but it's in no way poo poo I just made up.

In the book he believes that every time he goes back to the present the interim time period will be experienced by everyone who's left behind, this includes Sadie. He never even entertains the notion of diverging timelines and parallel realities, for what it's worth.

I have read the book, I love the book.

But if understanding of a TV show depends on knowledge of a book, then the TV show has failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

brylcreem posted:

He KNOWS about time travel, he KNOWS about the reset, he put a mark on a small tree and watched it on the grown tree, he knows he can start over with Sadie, but his actions doesn't show he knows.

Jake's actions are inexplicable, that's why the show has lost me.

To clarify further: The show has lost me on the plot level with Chechov's gun up there, and on a character level with Jake doing things I don't think follows from his knowledge.

Don't you think he would be hesitant to erase every moment he and Sadie have had together? Yea, he can technically "start over" with Sadie, but he'd always have memories of things they'd done together, thing's they'd said to each other, that for her would be erased. And if he were to reset and attempt the relationship again, he'd inevitably be using knowledge of her gained from the previous runthrough, which is exploitative and morally questionable.

This is someone he's madly in love with. It 100% makes sense to me that he wouldn't want to let go of a single shared memory they have together.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Basebf555 posted:

And if he were to reset and attempt the relationship again, he'd inevitably be using knowledge of her gained from the previous runthrough, which is exploitative and morally questionable.

Yeah, and he hasn't done anything morally questionable so far.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, and he hasn't done anything morally questionable so far.

To Sadie? No, he hasn't, and I don't think he would ever want to. Other people are different because they aren't Sadie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Don't you think he would be hesitant to erase every moment he and Sadie have had together? Yea, he can technically "start over" with Sadie, but he'd always have memories of things they'd done together, thing's they'd said to each other, that for her would be erased. And if he were to reset and attempt the relationship again, he'd inevitably be using knowledge of her gained from the previous runthrough, which is exploitative and morally questionable.

This is someone he's madly in love with. It 100% makes sense to me that he wouldn't want to let go of a single shared memory they have together.

I actually agree with this part. If he's not viewing Sadie as an object strictly to be won, but an actual relationship instead, there's no way he'd want to "reset" as long as he's in a relationship with her because it's basically like giving someone amnesia and having them forget all the shared moments and bonds while you remember. A reset would only come into play if she died or something, when it would then be worth it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm really disappointed in how they handled Sadie's injuries compared to the book. "Oh no, a big scar!" versus salivary duct and cranial nerve damage with resultant facial droop -- really noticeable impediments and deformity. Really,, overall I'm not very impressed with the changes they made in the adaption, though I do think the actors have overall done a good job with the material they've been given.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm really disappointed in how they handled Sadie's injuries compared to the book. "Oh no, a big scar!" versus salivary duct and cranial nerve damage with resultant facial droop -- really noticeable impediments and deformity. Really,, overall I'm not very impressed with the changes they made in the adaption, though I do think the actors have overall done a good job with the material they've been given.

Yeah her very photogenic scar immediately reminded me of Tyrion's injury. American TV really can't deal with making a protagonist genuinely ugly, even if it's only for two episodes of a mini-series I guess.

The doctor going "We did the best we can" yanking Jake's chain ruthlessly for what amounts to be a largely inconsequential scar was also really pathetic compared to how those particular scenes went down in the book where people were just generally relieved that she was gonna be ok.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah her very photogenic scar immediately reminded me of Tyrion's injury. American TV really can't deal with making a protagonist genuinely ugly, even if it's only for two episodes of a mini-series I guess.

The doctor going "We did the best we can" yanking Jake's chain ruthlessly for what amounts to be a largely inconsequential scar was also really pathetic compared to how those particular scenes went down in the book where people were just generally relieved that she was gonna be ok.

Tell me about it. 75% of the time her freaking hair covers up the scar anyway. I literally have seen worse injuries from someone being struck with a shoe. (And the obvious joke was actually true -- it was a stiletto heel.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yea that scene reminded me of the doctor from Arrested Development who kept pulling the same thing.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It looked pretty severe in the operating room without makeup. Don't see how it's an American thing to not want to stare at deformities when watching TV dramas.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
In the book Jake doesn't care about her scar because he's so in love and that's is a huge plot point in the second half of the novel right up until the last few pages. In the book describing her gruesome injury a few times and then largely 'ignoring' it is possible because you're reading the story through his eyes. In the TV show it would be impossible to convey that and you'd feel sorry for her, which would distract from the narrative.

I think it would be doubly strange since, like in every TV show or film, all the other characters will be super attractive Hollywood actors standing next to a lady with half of her face looking like the Joker.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The show has been pretty consistently "meh" after the first episode. Bummer. If they somehow manage to make the last episode tonally similar to the first, then that'd salvage a lot.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
What the gently caress is this show even doing. They waste an entire episode on the main character re-remembering stuff the audience already knows and the teenage sidekick they introduced and spent most of the show building up dies for no real reason and contributes nothing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have no idea what's going on in this show. I'm only watching it because I want to see what happens with the assassination.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

so the yellow card man is a failed time traveler in his own right? interesting and tragic, especially if he has to relive those events every time someone steps through the portal. All that free meat has a price after all...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The changes in the first few episodes were decent and interesting, even the introduction of bill as a young partner in crime was an interesting venue dramatically but it feels like everything just became a lot more nonsensical than it is in the book and the pacing seems all off. Kinda disappointed really.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol

JJ Abrams can blow me.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Introducing Bill then having him die is dumb but they had to get rid of him so the climax could be with Jake and Sadie like the book

Bill was interesting in the tv show. I thought they were gonna do something with him to make the ending different to the book but now just looks like his storyline was a waste of time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

but now just looks like this storyline was a waste of time.

This is everything past the first episode.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but Jake has nothing else to do but waste time from when he emerges from the rabbit hole until the assassination

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm about ready for this to end. It wasn't bad, but just fell flat compared to the book, which I really enjoyed.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There's so many Stephen King adaptations where I wish they had more time to properly tell the story of the book without having to leave a lot out.

And now they have a lot of time to do a long novel and they still screw up the pacing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The show needed a lot less overt timeskips and more montages. Along with some actual goddamn timetravel in a timetravel story.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They really should have just had the first half of the story follow the book more accurately, Jake's time in Derry in the book is incredibly compelling and him travelling back to the present to see what changing the past actually achieves was very important for the narrative.

Also the whole sledgehammer massacre scene was just so much more horrifying in the book.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

brylcreem posted:

lol

JJ Abrams can blow me.

Yes, let's blame the guy who didn't wrote or direct a single episode of the entire show.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
The constant cuts to black with the date and countdown really screwed with the pacing and made Jake's recovery feel very disjointed. I can see why they did it, but maybe instead they could have had him wake up with maybe 24 hours left to make it more of a mad scramble.

On the plus side, I like how they handled Oswald. Such a creepy little twerp.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Yeah, Oswald's constant self-important strutting around really gives me insight into what kind of person could try to assassinate a president on their own. I know it can't be documentary-style real, but still I think its a good insight into human nature.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

Yes, let's blame the guy who didn't wrote or direct a single episode of the entire show.

Lost hosed up a lot of people.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The worst part of this episode for me was when Jake and Sadie went to retrieve Billy from the circle-of-hell horror level psych hospital and Jake handled it in the most retarded way possible after seeing how hosed up and scared Billy was.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

savinhill posted:

The worst part of this episode for me was when Jake and Sadie went to retrieve Billy from the circle-of-hell horror level psych hospital and Jake handled it in the most retarded way possible after seeing how hosed up and scared Billy was.

I would've been okay with him doing it on purpose, because at least then he wouldn't have been so goddamn stupid.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

savinhill posted:

I hated how clearly they telegraphed him jumping out the window, with the curtains billowing in the wind in the background so you would be positive they were open. They may have had a neon sign that said "BILL'S GONNA JUMP!"

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I never thought I'd be rooting for Lee but here we are

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I never thought I'd be rooting for Lee but here we are

lol same but that actors rly good

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
My quick thoughts about each episode after I watched it.

Episode 1: "This is a fun show! I really enjoyed the book, and I'm excited see what they do going forward and how they handle the resets"

Episode 2: "Solid episode. Josh Duhamel was really good! He'll surely reset now that he's run into this Bill character"

Episode 3: "Oh, so Jake is going to have Bill come along with him? Well, he'll gently caress things up and Jake will have to reset soon. That actor who plays Lee Harvey Oswald is pretty good"

Episode 4: "I don't know if he's going to reset at all. Things are starting to get really weird. Who gives a poo poo about Bill? Some scenes are still good while others are cringe-worthy. I'm still sticking with the show, but it's starting to wane. Maybe the yellow card man will give us something next week"

Episode 5: "Look, James Franco directed this episode, and it wasn't that great. The actor who plays Sadie's ex-husband was good, and that entire sequence where Jake has to rescue Sadie was enjoyable. Who gives a poo poo about the scenes with Bill and Oswald's wife? These are the worst sequences in the show. Three more episodes after this, he HAS to reset soon."

Episode 6: "He's not resetting, is he?"

Episode 7: "Sticking with this show for completion's sake. The actor who plays Oswald is great, everything else has become trash. At least Bill is dead"

The casting has been tremendous, everything else is all over the place. The long unbroken take during the Jake/Sadie/crazy Ex-husband scene was tense and enjoyable. I know this show doesn't have to be a 1:1 translation from the book, but the liberties they've taken have been mind boggling. Every scene with Bill and Oswald's wife has been terrible and slowed the show to a snail's pace. The show has a lot of sequences like this. It has been awhile since I've read the book and after next week I'll go back and re-read it. I feel like there were plenty of interesting and dramatic moments in the book, they didn't need to invent silly stuff like Bill becoming friends with the Oswald's, or Bill in general.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm slightly frightened by the way this is playing out that the deviations are there to bake in options for a second season.
Unfortunately it comes at a heavy price, because this season just feels like squandered potential. I didn't read the book so I can compare, but the whole head wound/amnesia bullshit plot just screams "we need a filler episode" to me.
And you should never have filler in a miniseries where you pick the goddamned length.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Last episode spoiler:
https://youtu.be/-rawB5_fq6o

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm slightly frightened by the way this is playing out that the deviations are there to bake in options for a second season.

At the very least the ending has to be different from the book because having the Yellow Card Man be a fellow time traveler trapped in a loop due to his inability to let go of the past like the last episode suggests rather than part of a group of Time Cops means that the book's entire ending isn't going to work.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

They really should have just had the first half of the story follow the book more accurately, Jake's time in Derry in the book is incredibly compelling and him travelling back to the present to see what changing the past actually achieves was very important for the narrative.

Also the whole sledgehammer massacre scene was just so much more horrifying in the book.

Seriously, they took the main thing people complained about for the book, and made it most of the series. I even liked the Jodie stuff a lot, but the series hosed everything up so loving bad after doing such a great job with the first two episodes.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

At the very least the ending has to be different from the book because having the Yellow Card Man be a fellow time traveler trapped in a loop due to his inability to let go of the past like the last episode suggests rather than part of a group of Time Cops means that the book's entire ending isn't going to work.

If the Yella Card Man isn't a time cop like in the books then he's completely useless and it's such a retarded idea to even have him on the show, cuz he makes absolutely no sense in his current show context, and just uses up screen time towards no purpose but to creep out Jake with his now nonsensical timetravel powers That's getting close to Under The Dome writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This show's gonna have to do something seriously batshit impressive in the last episode to make up for all this drudgery. Dodging the hoary "saving JFK makes everything worse" cliche would be a start, but at this point I'll take "Jake does something competent and then follows up on it to make sure the consequences aren't spinning out of control while he's on a date".

• Locked thread