Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I thought they were gonna do one episode about Not Derry and get back to the main Kennedy storyline but this looks interesting. I wonder if they'll do it all in one season or drag it out. Either way I'm stoked for Jake's next runthrough and him improving Groundhog Day style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

He did? I thought he was on his way back to his hometown at the end when he stopped. My geography knowledge of the US isn't the best.

It's gonna be weird if he doesn't abuse the resets at least a little.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The time jump was too subtle for me. I didn't notice the first years that were shown so I was just all "why are they hanging '62 banners" and only realized it later on. The characters not acting like time had passed confused me a bit. I guess I'm too used to blatant montages to notice anything. The time jump in Notting Hill also went over my head if that's any indication.

I'm probably gonna be mad if they don't at least do a couple resets but at the same time the acting and the setting is really enjoyable so whatever. I liked the scene where they walked down Dealey Plaza a lot.

I wish they'd do more creepy stuff, that was the best part of the first episode. Now it seems like the past isn't really pushing back anymore and it feels a bit weird.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I think it's funny that the time jump we're discussing in a time travel series is the 1960-1962 one of all things. :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I saw the title card but I still was very confused for a bit. All of a sudden it's 1962 and there's nothing to show for it? The differences after the title card are just too tiny. I think that's the point of this discussion, not whether or not people noticed it. I bet everyone noticed it at some point or other but was confused because what they're saying ("it's 1962 geddit!") and what they're showing (Jake's buddy still being kind of a dumbass for example) doesn't quite match up.

Whatever. It's still fun and much better than Under the Dome.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

So in the first episode the past pushes back so hard that a car crashes through a telephone booth, killing the driver, and now the worst that happens is that Jake gets caught in a brothel? Man. The first episode sure set the bar high. Here's hoping something worthwhile happens in the next episode and it's not just the ex-husband lurking in the shadows.

I'm also kind of sad there's not more references to Jake feeling out of place. The pop culture references are nice but not quite there, for me at least.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

My wild guess is that he's trying to go as far as he can and then try to use what he learnt on the second run through.

Well, less "wild guess" and more "what I'd do in his place, having gone this far".

Maybe he even flat out forgot he can do resets. v:shobon:v

I mean the moment something terrible happened to Sadie, I'd jump back. If I recall correctly, the attempt to save the janitor's family also left some casualties, right?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, would you be ok with now committing six years of your life instead of three? Maybe even more if you hosed up even worse on the second run.

At first I was all for going hog wild with the restarts whenever something minor went wrong. Now I think it's actually smarter to do a test run and use the gathered intelligence to do another run in hopes that one is good enough for your purposes, i.e. saving the janitor's family, Sadie and JFK in one fell swoop.

Tiggum posted:

He did seem to be disappointed that they were suggesting stuff he couldn't use, but I think that was just the show being bad rather than actually trying to imply he knew about time travel at that stage.

I think that scene was to contrast his success in the past where he seems to be doing pretty well compared to the jaded kids in the present.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The show has been pretty consistently "meh" after the first episode. Bummer. If they somehow manage to make the last episode tonally similar to the first, then that'd salvage a lot.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I think this episode actually was kind of fun although they could've seriously improved the opening scene if they left out the loving time. That way it would've been a good "oh poo poo he slept through 50 years" moment although him not having aged would've thrown people off I guess.

Anyway I'm not expecting a reset anymore so judging from my past success at guessing resets, next (the last?) episode is gonna be a long 50-minute reset montage. Called it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Excellent start, so-so middle, good ending. I'm satisfied.

Wish they could've done a montage instead of yellow card guy playing Tell Don't Show.

• Locked thread