Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Without spoiling anything, the producers are taking a lot of liberties and changing a lot of stuff about the story. Some changes are better for TV, and some are making me roll my eyes out of my sockets. Anyone interested in the central idea would be doing themselves a service to read the book. It's a good, surprisingly tight story for a time travel plot. I struggled to get through this first episode, and it took me four sittings. Some things I just can't imagine why they changed, and with no explanation so far, they feel like big plot holes. I'm going to keep trying with this, but my expectations are low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
You know, I actually had that epiphany about a quarter of the way into the video, I said to myself, "Look, let's just try and disassociate from the book, and enjoy this as a unique and separate piece of media", and I still found several issues that took me out of it. Some were small, "Well that's stupid that he did that", things, and some were more glaring plot holes.

Look, I'm not interested in being THAT GUY in this thread, so I'm going to just lurk and avoid posting. I didn't want to turn this into a book versus movie thing, simply wanted to point out to anybody sharing my sentiments about the plot here on the show, if they haven't checked out the book, let's just say there are a lot more reasonable explanations and a tighter story to be found, if this general outline seems to be interesting to you.

Have fun, boys, King told an amazing story here and I'm looking forward to seeing this adaptation play out.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

blue squares posted:

If we're talking "stuff the characters are too stupid to do" then we can include the entire investigation because all they have to do is shoot Oswald in 1960 and then go back to Maine and see if he acted alone or not

Oswald is in Russia in 1960. He doesn't arrive in the U.S. for a couple of years. This is assuming it's so easy to "just shoot a guy" and make it back to a time portal across the country, even if LHO were in Texas already.

I'm telling you, man, King researched the subject of the assassination for like a decade making the book. It's very well thought out and without getting too conspiracy nut it explores a few interesting things about the whole affair, while telling a brilliant story. The creators of this show got some sort of outline and they're just doing their own thing from minute one. Not that that's inherently a bad thing, and once again, I'm watching this all the way through. It's very entertaining in it's own way. I really like Franco in this role. But the nitpicks raised in this thread (not by me) are already hitting some of the weaker points in the story. Not too impressive for a first episode.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Book spoilers re: clothespin

Actually, this is one of the more clever things the showrunners have done. I'm impressed. In the book, Sadie keeps alluding to "the broom" that her husband "used" in bed and how it was a deeply unsettling issue for her. Obviously we're meant to assume he struck her or forcefully penetrated her with it, but the truth is much more tame. He simply placed it between them while they slept because he felt sex to be unclean. They actually had a quite uneventful sex life, with, as mentioned above, just handjobs under the covers with vigorous cleaning before and after. A great bait-and-switch from King, and the producers appear to be paying an homage here. You hear "clothespin" and your mind, warped by a perverse society, begins to assume clitoral punishment, or freaky penis poo poo, but it's likely something as tame as him pinning the covers down during handjobs or some poo poo.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

W-what? So your interpretation of the ending of the book was existential dread as Sadie begins to be flooded with memories that happened to a different timeline version of herself? And that after the dance, she went through her life haunted by this interaction? Okay, I guess. You're entitled to your opinion.

For me it seemed pretty cut-and-dry. He was willing to change everything just to be with Sadie, and only after accepting that the consequences for the entire world would be far too dire he allows things to play out naturally and return to the original timeline. He can't help himself wondering how her life turned out, so he tracks her down to her award acceptance ceremony, and then can't help himself approaching her and asking for a dance. During the dance, he lets slip how much he knows about her, and she's shocked and taken aback since she's never met him. He mysteriously ends it with, "I knew you in a different life, honey" and internally wonders if she ever found someone to love, someone to "get rid of that broom", someone who made her happy. It's beautiful and somber and quite fitting for the end of the book, and it kind of pulls the rug out from under you when you understand that the time travel and assassination and all that jazz was a cover so King could trick you into reading this simple yet powerful love story between two teachers. 11/22/63 is a love story masquerading as a time travel thriller and I love it for that.

The show appears to have been made, at first glance, by people who actually read the book. But maybe they were also doing laundry or had the TV on in the background because they appear to have missed the point of the entire thing. They paid attention at the beginning and at the end, but they appear to have thought the middle would be better served not exploring the consequences and opportunities in resetting the timeline, or in exploring the Yellow Card Man and his implications for this world, but to invent a new character who fucks Oswald's wife.

• Locked thread