Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tiggum posted:

He can keep that though. You can bring stuff back to the present through the portal.

I was thinking that as well. It was probably dumb to bring it, but having done so it was even dumber to throw it away.

In basically every time travel story, I always want them to spend more time on this sort of stuff. Even going back or forward relatively small amounts of time there would be just so many things that you'd be surprised by or have to adapt to.

you should really read the book..... it addresses pretty much all of your complaints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Karmine posted:

Finally caught up on episode two last night. I'm fine with this not being a straight adaptation of the book, but it seemed like a waste of time to spend an entire episode of a miniseries establishing "hey this drunk who murders his family might be a little crazy." I thought he was good and menacing but apart from that it was a pretty one-dimensional characterization. If you want to further explore a character who barely appears in the book I'm fine with it, but you have to actually, yknow, do it.

I also rolled my eyes pretty hard at the ostensibly pointless WWII story. I thought episode 1 was a fine start but this one felt like a stumble for me.

Chris Cooper though. Chris Cooper is legit.

its called drama.....

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Haven't read the book but I thought the first three episodes were really good and interesting and now my interest has piqued.

I think re: the past pushing back thing, in King's work there is almost always a strong mystical\karmatic undercurrent that is almost sentient in its efforts, the universe doesn't push back constantly, only enough to make the efforts of our time travelling protagonist futile.

in the book the universe's pushback is directly proportional to the urgency of the situation.....they're all pretty clearly inconsequential roadblocks that foreshadow something greater.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ravane posted:

Didn't he write himself into that series?

hes the only author in the world who could pull it off and he does

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ravane posted:

Haven't read the series, but if he actually pulled it off, I'm curious to read how. :)

he introduced continuity into his life by getting hit by a van and almost dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I never thought I'd be rooting for Lee but here we are

lol same but that actors rly good

• Locked thread