Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I thought this was moderately cool, definitely worth checking out the next episode at the very least. I know a lot of people poo poo on him, but I think James Franco is great and I'm enjoying him the most in this show so far. His reactions to how different things are in 1960, usually how cheap things are, were all my favorite parts of this episode. Loved his poo poo eating grin upon hearing the price of the car.

I haven't read the book, but I'm thinking he has to reset at least once before making it to the assassination. I predict that the bitchy teacher he works with will be crushing on him hardcore since she'll remind her of that man that came into the diner and flirted with her so many years ago.

The past resisting change and the universe fighting back is also really interesting and what makes this really feel like Stephen King to me. I just hope they don't get too weird with it, also hope we get some answers to how it works eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

losonti tokash posted:

Probably to make sure no one in 1960 gets a hold of technology from 2016. He didn't mean to bring it with him and, at the time, was planning to stay for the whole 3 years, so having something that dangerous and easy to misplace was just too risky.

Which brings up the point from earlier; most glaring issue with the story as presented thus far: loving RESET dude! Call this one a wash, walk back out, and try again. Kinda weird they didn't even hint at trying that.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
They probably mentioned this and I missed it, but how does aging work in the portal? Do you age normally so that, if you spend 5 years in the portal, you'll walk out 2 minutes later looking 5 years older?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that's why Chris Cooper(Al?) all the sudden was dying of cancer. He went into the portal while Franco was having a conversation with his ex, and came out 2 minutes later. Only for him it had been long enough that he had been diagnosed with cancer and was dying by the time he got back.

Gotcha. That makes sense, thanks.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I guess this show "airs" on Mondays so we should be getting a new episode at some point today, right? How does that work exactly?

And just for my own personal info and because I'm a whiny bitch baby when it comes to avoiding spoilers, how will that work in this thread? I'd hate to wander in at some point today and get spoiled on an episode I can't watch until I get home tonight...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
All around I thought this was a good episode but there were a couple things I didn't like. I liked Jake blowing up at the racist gas station attendant, another good juxtaposition of viewing 60's culture as a man from 2016. Initially I didn't think I was going to like Bill tagging along, but I gotta admit it must be nice to have a partner in all this to help monitor the mics and stuff, even if he has been more of a fuckup than an asset so far. He's kind of endearing so I don't mind him so far.

I wasn't crazy about how forced the high school dance conflict seemed to be. First the faculty twists his arm to get him to chaperon the dance despite insisting that he couldn't, and then everyone is furious when he has to leave unexpectedly. Is it that hard to believe that a grown man might have some affairs to attend to that are none of his coworkers business, even in 1960 in Texas?! (if that makes any sort of difference..) Even Mimi was upset with him and he'd just stood up for her 2-3 scenes earlier.

I guess since he 'got the girl' anyways it doesn't really matter, but I can't say I'm overly excited about watching Jake balance his pretend substitute teacher + new relationship responsibilities with preventing an assassination attempt; I hope things don't go that direction entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fast Luck posted:

That was a weird scene when he was asking his 2016 class what they'd change if they could go back in time because like when was he doing that? He'd still been teaching after learning about the time travel talking to Al?

At first I thought that scene was a signal that he was going to screw something up in the past this episode and have to come back.

I think it was just a hypothetical from before he learned about the time portal. Not all that unusual of a question for high school students really, and a good way to try to get them to put themselves into history and get a better appreciation for it.

• Locked thread