Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That was really, really good. Maybe even better than the book! I guess this means the upcoming Dark Tower adaption will be terrible, because Steven King books can only be made into a good film/show once a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Because it's a story and if he just rests out of every conflict, it would be boring.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Stop comparing it to a book and getting upset about changes. Instead ignore the book and allow it to be it's own thing

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If we're talking "stuff the characters are too stupid to do" then we can include the entire investigation because all they have to do is shoot Oswald in 1960 and then go back to Maine and see if he acted alone or not

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

As an English teacher in training, I'll warn you not to underestimate us

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That was a great episode. A lot of tension, and a fantastic twist at the end.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

James Franco mouths 15 but says 16.

im done with this loving show

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You guys think 5 episodes is too much for investigating and stopping a CIA/KGB/whateverthefuck secret operation while still managing to develop a relationship with librarian?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What if saving Kennedy is why the Dome came down

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I am surprised that we have yet to see Jake encounter anything that sucks about the 60's (aside from the racism). He is having a great time with $5 cars and whatnot, but he has never expressed frustration for not having access to the Internet or other modern comforts he is now without.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Prediction! Miss Mimi has cancer, hence her constant coughing that the show was deliberate about showing. In 1962, she has no way to get the treatment she needs. Jake brings her with him into the future to get treatment and leaves her there. He goes back into the past and finds a copy of Miss Mimi back in Jodie.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

clockworx posted:

In the book, it was in a slightly more secluded area where you wouldn't be likely to be seen appearing. In the show, it kind of seemed like Franco stepped into an open area with a bunch of people who could potentially see him, so not sure how that "magic" works.

It wouldn't matter. If you saw someone fall out of the air right in front of you, you'd find a way to rationalize it as somehow not having noticed the person and would soon forget all about it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ravane posted:

I thought Nixon made for a pretty great president. Sure he lied, but so did every other president (Bush literally monitored every brown person in america under the patriot act in front of the public's eye), Nixon just got caught. But nixon had great foreign policy, he established the EPA, he started the National Cancer act to put federal funding into cancer research, he was instrumental in implementing policies to repair racial relations, and help oppressed blacks at least get some recompense through affirmative action policies. He also helped desegregate southern schools and ensured that federal loan services could not discriminate based on gender or race.

Nixon, I think, was a fantastic president based on what I've read about his presidency. Then again, I was born in the mid 90's so I literally only have had exposure to two presidents (too young for clinton), so what do I know.

lol

No.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh, sorry

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ravane posted:

Yeah, the views about Nixon always feel completely polarized to the watergate scandal, which makes views about his presidency largely reductive. And it's so prevalent that offering an alternative viewpoint is just automatically disregarded (much like criticism against gandhi in indian society where he is deified).

Nixon also escalated the war in Vietnam, bombing additional sovereign nations, so when you say he has good foreign policy, it seems like a troll.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ravane posted:

I didn't know that he bombed other sovereign nations, I'll have to do research on this. But my understanding is that he inherited this war, a war that shouldn't have been fought in the first place, a war that was only fought because America is an interventionist country. And America was already losing the war, and in the face of the cold war, America looking like the weaker nation in front of the USSR was a no-go. Which is why I think he justified escalating the war.

I'm not supporting that, but these are all tough decisions, it's hard to criticize when I don't know what he could have done alternatively. Hell, we didn't have to go into war at all, we could criticize Kennedy for putting the US in vietnam in the first place. But we don't do that and Nixon seems to just be the scapegoat for everything Vietnam related.

I still think he had pretty decent foreign policy comparatively to the presidents that came before him. Specifically I'm speaking about his visit to china: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Nixon_visit_to_China, which marks the first time a US president ever went to China and it was imperative in de-escalating Cold War tensions because it dramatically shifted the balance of power that the US had over the USSR.

If you really want to know about Nixon, the oft-recommended book Nixonland is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jake has a terrible Action Man Running Form. He should watch some Tom Cruise movies and take notes.

• Locked thread