Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Does the book cover conservation of energy? Seems weird to me that you could go back in time, grab some meat, and bring it back with you. You could go back in time, throw out a bunch of garbage, come back, then reset everything.

Here's King's opinion on your egg-head bullshit :colbert:

The Book posted:

“Yeah, but what if you went back and killed your own grandfather?” He stared at me, baffled. “Why the gently caress would you do that?” That was a good question, so I just told him to go on.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that's why Chris Cooper(Al?) all the sudden was dying of cancer. He went into the portal while Franco was having a conversation with his ex, and came out 2 minutes later. Only for him it had been long enough that he had been diagnosed with cancer and was dying by the time he got back.

That's another thing. Did Al just decide on a whim that that day was the day to try to save Kennedy? Like, "Welp, guess I'd better get my rear end to 1963, time's a-wastin'!"

The first episode felt flat for me somehow, but the second really took off! I'm there all the way now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Sadie unusually forward with Jake, especially as a woman growing up in the 50s, and she being a recent divorcee?

Spoilers from the book: Of course, if they kept the book version of events, it makes sense for Sadie to want to "experience life", but it's still fast.

Also, if you want to learn about what evidence the Warren Commission had on LHO being the attempted assasin of Walker, here's the relevant chapter from their report:

https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/warren-commission-report/chapter-4.html#prior

The incident at the end of this episode seems to be completely fabricated - I've never read about something like that.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It wouldn't make sense thematically if he didn't reset at least once.

In the pilot they showed that his impetus for deciding to go back was the janitor receiving his diploma, but still not being able to get a promotion.

So there's this big, unresolved thing hanging over everything: What happened to the janitor? Is he okay now?

So yeah, more time travel.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Berzerker posted:

I just finished the episode, there's a scene right after he offers to get Ms. Mimi a cup of coffee where he walks down the hall nodding and smiling at students while the banners above him say "Homecoming 1960" "Valentine's Sweethearts 1961" and "Prom Night 1961" etc. and then to top it all off, there's literally a title card with 1962 in white text on a black background when he gets to the end of the hallway. Like I know goons in TVIV are generally bad at seeing things but come on guys.

I guess I was just too busy crawling out from under the giant anvil that had just fallen on me, with the inscription "Racism is bad, you guys!".

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Or for more serious, maybe he stops the assassination and comes back but it's all BTTF II and Donald Trump is president so he goes back into the closet to reset everything and then steps back out.

Maybe he metaphorically "comes out of the closet", if you know what I mean, and hooks up with Lee?

An assasination averted by an rear endasination, get it?

That being said, this show has turned to bullshit. Let's get some time travel shenanigans up in here!

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, people say that the middle part of the book is a chore to get through. I've never thought that, but now I know what they mean.

Holy time-travelling Christ, that was a bad episode!

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that Jake didn't reset immediately after finding out that Bill had been chumming it up with LHO, and porking his wife is unforgivable.

This show jumped the time-travelling shark.

Jake's actions belie his stated motivation to save JFK, so I don't know what this show is doing anymore.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

The show is using Sadie as the primary reason why he wouldn't reset unless he absolutely had to. If he resets their entire relationship is erased, and this isn't some highly trained agent or anything, he's just a regular guy trying to do the best he can. Its perfectly understandable that he wouldn't have the discipline to just walk away from someone he's in love with.

Yeahbut, he's an English teacher which means he knows about time travel (in litterature, at least) and the consequences of it.

It has been shown that his final impetus to decide to try to save JFK is the janitor not being able to get his promotion despite his GED. So he wants to save him too.

He does, but then he goes on to Dallas instead of checking if it worked (yes, I know Bill had a gun on him - there's been plenty of time since). He hadn't even met Sadie yet at this point.

Chekhov's gun has been brought up before - you can't just introduce an element in a plot and then ignore it. I'm all for genre-defying media and whatnot, but so far I have seen nothing to suggest this is anything but a straight action-sci-fi thriller romance thing.

He KNOWS about time travel, he KNOWS about the reset, he put a mark on a small tree and watched it on the grown tree, he knows he can start over with Sadie, but his actions doesn't show he knows.

Jake's actions are inexplicable, that's why the show has lost me.

To clarify further: The show has lost me on the plot level with Chechov's gun up there, and on a character level with Jake doing things I don't think follows from his knowledge.

brylcreem fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 23, 2016

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Well, that depends entirely on how time travel works. If there's only one timeline then a reset means that anything that happened last time just didn't happen. If each trip back creates a new timeline then it's impossible to change the past, all you're doing is switching into a different parallel timeline and everything that already happened stays happened, so you're not really saving JFK anyway, you're just abandoning the world in which died for one in which he didn't. If saving JFK is worth doing for anything more than purely personal, selfish reasons then there's no reason to not use as many do-overs as you want.

^^ All that, plus

Even if Jake is thinking this hard about it, it hasn't been shown. I don't need everything explained to me, but there has to be some indication of what a protagonist is thinking in a TV show; he can't just make decisions out of nowhere.

If the viewers have to fanwank his motivations, then the TV show has failed.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I am not fanwanking his motivations, It's stuff that he internal-monologues over in the book. You could argue that it's still a failure on behalf of the show that they didn't delve into any of this but it's in no way poo poo I just made up.

In the book he believes that every time he goes back to the present the interim time period will be experienced by everyone who's left behind, this includes Sadie. He never even entertains the notion of diverging timelines and parallel realities, for what it's worth.

I have read the book, I love the book.

But if understanding of a TV show depends on knowledge of a book, then the TV show has failed.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol

JJ Abrams can blow me.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

Yes, let's blame the guy who didn't wrote or direct a single episode of the entire show.

Lost hosed up a lot of people.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Unlucky posted:

wanted to watch a show about time travel poo poo not high school teacher simulator 2015 2016 1960whatever.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like everybody else, I thought the first and last episode was good, but the middle had horrible pacing problems.

4/10

At least the show didn't use the word "obdurate".

• Locked thread