Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed the first episode, I have high hopes for the rest. Franco's doing a great job, this seems to be a story that's pretty focused on a single main character, so that casting was very important. King's stuff is usually very character focused, so casting is always a big factor in how adaptations turn out. The Dark Tower will be dead in the water if it doesn't get three specific castings right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I did expect him to reset a few times right away after some amateur mistakes, but that's a minor gripe.

Seems like the way its going now is that he's going to make that one dude's life a lot better by stopping the murder, but he'll have to reset that in order to fix something else even worse. Probably not even the JFK assassination, maybe something he himself caused.

Hard to predict where King is going to go with a story, I'm actually glad now that I never read the book. King wouldn't necessarily be afraid to have him actually stop the JFK assassination, and return to a completely alternate reality.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

Also because he literally has to live all those days. So like he'd have to go back and live through however many days and weeks all over again if he has to reset, and he gets older too each time. I believe the series has him going back to a time a little closer to the assassination date but in the book it's even more like if he goes back he just wasted a lot of time.

True, he's probably no looking to spend a decade+ of his life doing this. Three years is the minimum, and if he were to fail at preventing the assassination and have to reset that's six years. It adds up pretty quick.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

Anyway, my prediction is that James Franco ends up shooting Kennedy.

That would be lame but its definitely possible, King doesn't have the best batting average when it comes to endings.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

timp posted:

They probably mentioned this and I missed it, but how does aging work in the portal? Do you age normally so that, if you spend 5 years in the portal, you'll walk out 2 minutes later looking 5 years older?

Yea that's why Chris Cooper(Al?) all the sudden was dying of cancer. He went into the portal while Franco was having a conversation with his ex, and came out 2 minutes later. Only for him it had been long enough that he had been diagnosed with cancer and was dying by the time he got back.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He may still be planning to go back, he was just interrupted and then the episode ended. If I were him, and I actually succeeded in convincing a reasonably trustworthy dude that I was a time traveler and that Kennedy was going to die on that day, I'd say good luck and get the gently caress out of there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As soon as they were in a seedy club I knew we were probably going to meet Jack Ruby. "Shady club owner" is like the #1 thing the average person would probably know about Ruby.

It seems like at this point resetting is going to be a really tough decision, and something particularly bad probably has to happen to force him into it. Like, somehow saving the janitor's family makes it impossible to save Kennedy, something like that. Or maybe his substitute teacher girlfriend gets killed in one of those accidents caused by time being pissed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea he's close enough to the date of the assassination now that he has to reset at least once just because we have 5 episodes left. I wonder if maybe he saves Kennedy, but that somehow makes the future even shittier, or if he stops Oswald but Time says gently caress you and Kennedy gets killed some other way a week later.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh man that would really be something if they actually never reset, considering how major that seems to have been in the book.

I definitely worry about what will be added or taken out of Dark Tower, its one of my all-time favorite book series so I will be all sensitive about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I missed the time jump too but I frequently drink beer and futz around on my laptop when I watch t.v. so I'm sure I just wasn't looking at the screen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

Has there been any talk of whether this will just be a single season? It seems that Kennedy either being shot or saved would be a pretty definitive ending.

Since he can always reset, Kennedy being saved or not doesn't really make for a definitive ending. He can always go back and try again, or maybe even if he succeeds in saving Kennedy it's not the cure-all that he expects it to be.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ExtraNoise posted:

I thought the episode was great. What boring parts are you guys talking about?

I really liked this episode as well. The scene with the ex-husband was incredibly tense, because I didn't feel like Sadie had any of the normal plot armor a character like that would have. I thought there was a good chance she was going to end up dead, so I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

savinhill posted:

Why was that running scene so long anyway, all it did was have me wondering poo poo like "Is he running all the way from Dallas to Sadie's apartment?" "Did he take the bus there and now he has to run all the way from the bus stop to make up time?" and "Why the gently caress did he park so far away?" among some even dumber thoughts

Yea he's got plenty of money from making bets right? Couldn't he have just gotten in a cab and had it drive him right up to her door instead of having to run from a bus stop?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Is this a joke?

I think its somehow a joke about my question being dumb and having an obvious answer, but I really can't figure out what that answer would be. Seriously, why did he have to sprint all the way to her house, presumably from the bus stop?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
For my part I have to come 100% clean and say I really had no idea he was living so close to Sadie, I assumed he ran all the way to her house or took the bus.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Some minor background spoilers mainly concerning the tone of the work and things that aren't quite as apparent in the show: The book makes it plenty clear that Jake's adventures take place in King's haunted version of reality where some places have literal interdimensional evil mojo lurking about and this is something Jake is just plain aware of and can seemingly sense which would tonally not really fit in with the more realistic tone of the show, the book makes it sound like Oswald himself is partly influenced by these evil spirits that just make people go bad, but really that's just standard King I guess..

I haven't read 11/22/63, but I'm sure there's plenty of subtle references in it to the Dark Tower. The premise of the book itself is very much connected to The Dark Tower, JFK being named in one of the books as "The Last Gunslinger". Its possible JFK was someone who had taken on the role of The Gunslinger, i.e. standing against the Crimson King and preventing him from taking over the multiverse. So the Crimson King could be responsible for the assassination somehow. The Dark Tower is also where King lays out structure of his universe and explains that its slowly falling apart, creating little cracks where one reality can bleed into another one, or even worse into primordial darkness(filled with monsters of course). The time portal is almost certainly one of these "thinnys".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Two episodes left and he has a case of explosive amnesia?

Sure seems like this is leading to an unresolved cliffhanger, and the show probably won't even get a second season so I guess we wasted our time. I'll have to read the book to find out of he saved JFK!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He was making medium sized bets all around town, not realizing that they were all owned by the same guy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The show is using Sadie as the primary reason why he wouldn't reset unless he absolutely had to. If he resets their entire relationship is erased, and this isn't some highly trained agent or anything, he's just a regular guy trying to do the best he can. Its perfectly understandable that he wouldn't have the discipline to just walk away from someone he's in love with.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ExtraNoise posted:

I feel like Bill is the past pushing back. Just because he is (was?) close to Jake doesn't mean he's immune or he isn't part of the past.

His relationship with Marina is like the car careening through the phone booth.

Ninja edit: It's kind of nonsensical because Bill doesn't realize he's under some supernatural influence that's making him nonsensical.

I totally agree, and maybe its clearer in the book. I know someone here mentioned that in the book, King makes it much more clear that there's some sort of interdimensional evil at play that is capable of influencing people's minds. That sounds very similar to how "IT" appeared to Henry Bowers and made him do hosed up poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

brylcreem posted:

He KNOWS about time travel, he KNOWS about the reset, he put a mark on a small tree and watched it on the grown tree, he knows he can start over with Sadie, but his actions doesn't show he knows.

Jake's actions are inexplicable, that's why the show has lost me.

To clarify further: The show has lost me on the plot level with Chechov's gun up there, and on a character level with Jake doing things I don't think follows from his knowledge.

Don't you think he would be hesitant to erase every moment he and Sadie have had together? Yea, he can technically "start over" with Sadie, but he'd always have memories of things they'd done together, thing's they'd said to each other, that for her would be erased. And if he were to reset and attempt the relationship again, he'd inevitably be using knowledge of her gained from the previous runthrough, which is exploitative and morally questionable.

This is someone he's madly in love with. It 100% makes sense to me that he wouldn't want to let go of a single shared memory they have together.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, and he hasn't done anything morally questionable so far.

To Sadie? No, he hasn't, and I don't think he would ever want to. Other people are different because they aren't Sadie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The doctor going "We did the best we can" yanking Jake's chain ruthlessly for what amounts to be a largely inconsequential scar was also really pathetic compared to how those particular scenes went down in the book where people were just generally relieved that she was gonna be ok.

Yea that scene reminded me of the doctor from Arrested Development who kept pulling the same thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I straight up don't understand what the deal with the TV version of The Yellow Card Man is. He's caught in a time loop, but can also just pop in and gently caress with Franco he wants??

He's probably from some other time where the technology available allows him more control over where/when he travels.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

I can understand them excising all the universe falling apart and reality growing thin a la The Dark Tower stuff for the sake of simplicity but they really should have just excised the Yellow Card Man in the process instead of having a neutered version of him that doesn't really contribute anything to the story.

It's funny, most of the time people clamor for an adaptation to be a miniseries instead of a movie but I feel like this would have worked better if the first two eps and the finale were made into a movie instead of a series where 5/8ths of it was filler.

I'm not sure how you could have taken him out completely, because he's the reason Jake decides he can't ever be with Sadie. You'd really have to re-write the ending completely to show Jake going through multiple cycles where he gradually figures it out on is own.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Question for Stephen King fans who've read the book. Are there any overt references in it to low-men(in yellow coats) or the Crimson King?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really 90% of the connections between King's books require some imagination and logical leaps. There's only a small handful that overtly state the connections, like Insomnia and Black House where the Crimson King is the primary antagonist. Or Hearts in Atlantis. That may be all of them actually.

For the most part its fans noticing similarities and assuming(probably correctly but who knows) King purposely wrote them in as connections to The Dark Tower. Like how IT bears a strong similarity to the thing that almost kills Roland by making him laugh too hard. Or how people assume that the monsters from The Mist come from the darkness between worlds described in The Dark Tower. Fun to think about but not definitive, and its probably better that way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BreakAtmo posted:

What did everyone think of Lucy Fry? I've been watching the show on Stan (Australian streaming service), and one of the things they've been publicising like crazy is their exclusive Wolf Creek miniseries... starring Lucy Fry.

She was pretty solid in the scenes she did have, but overall she didn't get a lot of screentime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

grapecritic posted:

How did the secret service know that James Franco saved them? Did I miss something?

They know he was found with a dead Oswald and it was probably pretty simple to link the gun to Oswald since he owned it, not Jake. They know Oswald got a shot off, so its pretty safe to assume Jake intervened at the last second, saving Kennedy.

• Locked thread