Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

I just finished the episode, there's a scene right after he offers to get Ms. Mimi a cup of coffee where he walks down the hall nodding and smiling at students while the banners above him say "Homecoming 1960" "Valentine's Sweethearts 1961" and "Prom Night 1961" etc. and then to top it all off, there's literally a title card with 1962 in white text on a black background when he gets to the end of the hallway. Like I know goons in TVIV are generally bad at seeing things but come on guys.

Yeah, well, some people pay more attention to the actors n the characters they're playing, and also the general story, instead of every background detail and set detail, and the way the episode played out, characters acted, and just the whole way it was directed n edited it certainly didn't feel like the viewer was supposed to easily realize 2 years had gone by. I really like this show so far too and ain't trying to find poo poo to nitpick, but the time skip being handled halfassedly is legit and not some "lol goons don't know how the watch TV" TVIV default shitpost fallback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

yeah you're right it was pretty hidden and subtle my apologies lol

Yeah, and all it takes is turning your head for a second to miss that, and regardless, it still feels like Jake and Billy have still only been in Dallas for a short period of time no matter how many times they throw a date on the screen

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Hmm, yes. Perhaps the miniseries should have a TimeCounter on the bottom of the screen, running though each scene? A giant text box that's says JAKE HAS BEEN IN 196X FOR [TIME] - CURRENT DATE IS X,XX,196X.

Jesus loving Christ you people. Just say you weren't paying attention and were feeding your cat while cooking or someshit instead of blaming the series.

I'm somewhat surprised Racist Gas Ginger wasn't at the Klan rally they attended. Seemed like the perfect time for Jake to get confronted by him.

Lol, goons getting turbo-nerd mad cuz they think other people don't watch TV stories correctly will never not be funny

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

blue squares posted:

Prediction! Miss Mimi has cancer, hence her constant coughing that the show was deliberate about showing. In 1962, she has no way to get the treatment she needs. Jake brings her with him into the future to get treatment and leaves her there. He goes back into the past and finds a copy of Miss Mimi back in Jodie.

Miss mimi being deathly ill is definitely gonna be a subplot, just don't know if it'll tie into the main JFK/timetravel stuff. Maybe Jake will end up having to ditch an important hospital visit or her funeral due to his secret mission.

Is this show just a one off mini series thing? If it isn't, maybe the second season will start with the reset people have been clamoring for, and some of these subplots are leading to him trying to influence them into better outcomes next season.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

blue squares posted:

Jake has a terrible Action Man Running Form. He should watch some Tom Cruise movies and take notes.

Why was that running scene so long anyway, all it did was have me wondering poo poo like "Is he running all the way from Dallas to Sadie's apartment?" "Did he take the bus there and now he has to run all the way from the bus stop to make up time?" and "Why the gently caress did he park so far away?" among some even dumber thoughts

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ExtraNoise posted:

Wait a minute! This isn't a spoiler at all!

It is to me cuz I had no idea he even had a house in Jardin

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Or maybe the show's just done a bad job with the integration of the Jodie stuff in to the show, especially when it comes to Jake's Jodie residence. You have Principal Art telling him to take Sadie to a motel so he isn't seen going in or outta Sadie's house an episode ago, so why not assume she's visiting his Dallas spot to deliver the I Love You stamped casserole. Also, the whole recording rig being set up right in just about open view isn't a great indicator that this is his "open life" teacher house where he hides his time travel mission more thoroughly.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Because it looks nothing like his place in Dallas, no one except Bill knows about the place in Dallas, and the recording stuff was set up to play in plain sight by the Yellow Card Man.

Seriously, my Dad watches this show while reading his emails and the paper and he still picks up on this poo poo.

Except for Miss Mimi, who has visited him there while Jake n Billy were in the middle of Oswald planning, and requiring Jake to kick Billy to one of the side rooms. Plus they've already moved places in Dallas, so excuse people for being confused about exactly what spot Jake is currently chilling at at any given moment.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

You thought that Jake took a bus to Sadie's house and that they just cut out the bus riding scene for dramatic effect. Don't try to weasel your way out of this, stand by your horrible, horrible TV watching skills. :colbert:

lol, my bad TV watchin skills got nothing on your bad post reading skills if you think I seriously thought Jake took a bus to save his kidnapped, "in the middle of being tortured & having her life threatened by a psycho if Jake doesn't get there in time" soulmate

Alright, I don't think you were serious after reading this a second time, but this is TVIV after all

Tiggum posted:

Pretty sure no one actually thought this. It was just a hypothetical dumb explanation for why he was running instead of driving right to her house. The fact that she apparently walked to his house suggests that maybe they did live close enough that he'd just run, but it's hardly been established conclusively and the running scene did seem weird.

Exactly this too. I don't understand why people can't accept people jokingly(or not) criticizing goofy and half-baked aspects of the show and cast them as terribly unskilled and uninformed TV viewers instead.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 18, 2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The show is using Sadie as the primary reason why he wouldn't reset unless he absolutely had to. If he resets their entire relationship is erased, and this isn't some highly trained agent or anything, he's just a regular guy trying to do the best he can. Its perfectly understandable that he wouldn't have the discipline to just walk away from someone he's in love with.

I would so throw Kennedy to the wolves for Sadie without a moment's hesitation or reservation that the Yellow Hat Guy's Color would go down about five risk threat levels and I wouldn't have to worry at all about the past loving me up for placing any huge bet I wanted.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The worst part of this episode for me was when Jake and Sadie went to retrieve Billy from the circle-of-hell horror level psych hospital and Jake handled it in the most retarded way possible after seeing how hosed up and scared Billy was.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

At the very least the ending has to be different from the book because having the Yellow Card Man be a fellow time traveler trapped in a loop due to his inability to let go of the past like the last episode suggests rather than part of a group of Time Cops means that the book's entire ending isn't going to work.

If the Yella Card Man isn't a time cop like in the books then he's completely useless and it's such a retarded idea to even have him on the show, cuz he makes absolutely no sense in his current show context, and just uses up screen time towards no purpose but to creep out Jake with his now nonsensical timetravel powers That's getting close to Under The Dome writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Retardog posted:

I liked the nod to King's other works with REDRUM on the stairwell wall

The car that smashed into the bus reminded me of Christine, not sure if it was the same exact model though

• Locked thread