Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Karmine posted:

I didn't view the episode as a matter of Jake wrapping his mind around killing someone. Through that lens it makes a lot more sense but I still can't shake the idea that the main point of this episode was to give Josh Duhamel as much screen time as possible.

It's too bad they haven't used the reset thing to really show how much wrapping his mind around killing someone changed how he works. Book spoilers, just in case.

The first time he kills Frank, he waits until he's actually in the act, which leads to Ellen dying and Jake nearly being killed until Bill shows up, stabs Frank, and has a big ol' heart attack. The second time, he just waits until he knows Frank will be alone at his parents' graves, and just shoots him and hides the body. And sends a letter to Bill to tell him to get his heart checked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There were near misses after that, but they were mostly from computers loving up and miscommunications.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That was the original concept of the book- there were no resets, he got a lethal dose of radiation when he came back, and he had to stop himself in the past before the radiation poisoning killed him.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

They really should have just had the first half of the story follow the book more accurately, Jake's time in Derry in the book is incredibly compelling and him travelling back to the present to see what changing the past actually achieves was very important for the narrative.

Also the whole sledgehammer massacre scene was just so much more horrifying in the book.

Seriously, they took the main thing people complained about for the book, and made it most of the series. I even liked the Jodie stuff a lot, but the series hosed everything up so loving bad after doing such a great job with the first two episodes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wade Wilson posted:

Never mind that it would be a terrible thing to actually have happen to someone, because they might go insane, but that's Stephen King for you. Seems like the end of every book has to have some element of something that has some kind of existential horror to it.

I mean, that's literally what happens to the card men in the book, but I never got an impression Sadie had anything more than some deja vu. Not full-blown conflicting memories or anything.

• Locked thread