Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

drunkill posted:

Already mentioned but I love the almost poo poo-eating grin Franco gives whenever someone talks about the price of something.

Three dollars, in advance.

*grin* Okay...

Definitely, same. He had 3600 in his pocket which in 1960 was equivalent to 30k cash (unless that cash burned up in the fire?) I'd have the same grin too, everywhere I went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Quisty posted:

My guess is he saves Kennedy, comes back to present day, and like the book, sees everything is hosed up and goes back to live happily ever after with Sadie while she's young. And that will be the only reset.

Yeah I think either this or he stops the JFK killing but then the past starts loving up, Sadie dies or some poo poo and he's stuck in the past. Then, he realizes he can go back into the past again and change everything by entering the diner again. Only, the diner isn't built yet so he has to wait until the diner is built in like 30 years, and he eventually becomes the old homeless man he met when he first arrived. He goes into the diner and travels back through time to 1960 for the second time and tries to warn himself (his past self) to leave, but his past self refuses to listen. So he takes matters into his own hands, he waits a few more years, and during the time of the JFK shooting, he sits on the grassy knoll and becomes the shooter, as his past self prevents Oswald from shooting. Time unfucks, Sadie doesn't die, and he's kicked out of the past into the present. His present. He's old. He thinks his life is over, that none of this was worth it. But then he thinks of Sadie and wonders if it's possible... He finds Sadie on her deathbed, she recognizes him, but in the time he's been gone, she's had a family, she's had children, grandchildren, great grandchildren. She asks where he's been gone all this time, and he tells her the truth, the entire incredible story. She tells him her final words "I believe you," and passes away. Last scene is him publishing his book as a fictional biography. Show fades to black.

I don't know it's viable, haven't read the book, I'm curious about what'll happen.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 3, 2016

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FilthyImp posted:

If it's anything like the rest of King's world, it's likely due to The Dark Tower's motivating influence.

Namely: poo poo is hosed on a multiversal scale, and while THIS dimension hasn't devolved into The Mist-like roaming monstrosities, the laws of reality are 'thin' at places and cause some weirdness to leak through.

Didn't he write himself into that series?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

scary ghost dog posted:

hes the only author in the world who could pull it off and he does

Haven't read the series, but if he actually pulled it off, I'm curious to read how. :)

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FilthyImp posted:

The clothespin goes on his dick, as an earlier poster alluded to. It's likely a sex-shaming thing... Like his mother saw him touching himself as a child and decided to clothespin him because he was a DIRTY DIRTY BIRD DIRTY BIRDS GET THEIR WORMS CHOPPED OFF.

It fits with him marriage raping her and then telling her to clean her dirty self.

There's a whole thing about angst and sexuality (repressed sexuality especially) in King stories. Goes back to Carrie's breast development (Dirty Pillows) and menarche (only dirty unclean sluts bleed). So the time period is especially apt for that stuff.

The hint that the Principal and Miss Mimi have a deeper relationship was a very nice touch, and makes his remark about asking her library question when he first hired Jake a nice touch.

Are you serious? I thought it was a remark about him having a micropenis. I don't want to look this up, jesus. But I will anyway.

Oh god.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Doktor Per posted:

God drat, Franco is absolutely fantastic.

Seven years ago, or so, I was living near San Francisco and a friend asked to meet her downtown at Folsom Street. Little did I know it was a BDSM pride street event and I was still very innocent in the ways of the world. First thing I saw was a naked dude, tied up on the stage while clothespins were put on his dingus, till they ran out of skin to attach clothespins to.

I've never been surprised by anything sexual since.

At first, I thought she said safety pin. Which really scarred my mental imagery.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Why did Miss Mimi not know about the Mafia? I'm confused how something that big wouldn't be known?

Medullah posted:

Just Google a Price Albert if you want to be extra scarred then

I can handle most gore, as long as it has nothing to do with the penis. :(

People who are into that poo poo are hosed up, no joke.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FilthyImp posted:

He also mentions it would likely prevent RFK from being assassinated (and maybe MLK) since he was the big anti-war nominee. You'd also probably prevent Nixon's presidency too.

I thought Nixon made for a pretty great president. Sure he lied, but so did every other president (Bush literally monitored every brown person in america under the patriot act in front of the public's eye), Nixon just got caught. But nixon had great foreign policy, he established the EPA, he started the National Cancer act to put federal funding into cancer research, he was instrumental in implementing policies to repair racial relations, and help oppressed blacks at least get some recompense through affirmative action policies. He also helped desegregate southern schools and ensured that federal loan services could not discriminate based on gender or race.

Nixon, I think, was a fantastic president based on what I've read about his presidency. Then again, I was born in the mid 90's so I literally only have had exposure to two presidents (too young for clinton), so what do I know.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sleeveless posted:

Ravane is a boring troll, please don't encourage him by quoting and/or responding to him.

Yeah, thanks for dismissing my opinion without offering any substantial argument against it. That's totally discussion inducing. I don't understand why 90% of you idiots would rather listen to the same opinions spouted over and over again than something that challenges those opinions. Nixon was a great president for all the reasons I mentioned, and I don't give a gently caress what you 40 year olds think (unless you can give a decent argument to convince me otherwise).

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Astroman posted:

Nixon did do some good things that were overshadowed by his condoning of dirty tricks and social opinions common to the time which would make him Shitlord Tier Level today (but were also common to many liberal heroes of the era). Also he has been demonized by Boomers to this day to the point where it's a joke. Guys like Matt Groening still hate Nixon to a silly degree. He was a competent President in many respects. He even believed in Single Payer Healthcare IIRC.

Yeah, the views about Nixon always feel completely polarized to the watergate scandal, which makes views about his presidency largely reductive. And it's so prevalent that offering an alternative viewpoint is just automatically disregarded (much like criticism against gandhi in indian society where he is deified).

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

blue squares posted:

Nixon also escalated the war in Vietnam, bombing additional sovereign nations, so when you say he has good foreign policy, it seems like a troll.

I didn't know that he bombed other sovereign nations, I'll have to do research on this. But my understanding is that he inherited this war, a war that shouldn't have been fought in the first place, a war that was only fought because America is an interventionist country. And America was already losing the war, and in the face of the cold war, America looking like the weaker nation in front of the USSR was a no-go. Which is why I think he justified escalating the war.

I'm not supporting that, but these are all tough decisions, it's hard to criticize when I don't know what he could have done alternatively. Hell, we didn't have to go into war at all, we could criticize Kennedy for putting the US in vietnam in the first place. But we don't do that and Nixon seems to just be the scapegoat for everything Vietnam related.

I still think he had pretty decent foreign policy comparatively to the presidents that came before him. Specifically I'm speaking about his visit to china: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Nixon_visit_to_China, which marks the first time a US president ever went to China and it was imperative in de-escalating Cold War tensions because it dramatically shifted the balance of power that the US had over the USSR.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

blue squares posted:

If you really want to know about Nixon, the oft-recommended book Nixonland is fantastic.

I'll check this out, thank you for the recommendation. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Basebf555 posted:

For my part I have to come 100% clean and say I really had no idea he was living so close to Sadie, I assumed he ran all the way to her house or took the bus.

Understandable if you've never lived in a small town. :)

• Locked thread