Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It appears the entire series has been sent out to the reviewers. Seems to be pretty well-received if not exactly a rave review.
http://www.avclub.com/review/james-franco-tries-save-jfk-flawed-worthy-stephen--231721

I don't read a lot of Stephen King but the book was really fun.

Also I don't actually care for the entire season dump that Netflix tends to do. It doesn't let shows generate as much momentum and discussion and binge watching a series always sort of changes how it feels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

blue squares posted:

Because it's a story and if he just rests out of every conflict, it would be boring.
Also because he literally has to live all those days. So like he'd have to go back and live through however many days and weeks all over again if he has to reset, and he gets older too each time. I believe the series has him going back to a time a little closer to the assassination date but in the book it's even more like if he goes back he just wasted a lot of time.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tiggum posted:

No one was suggesting he should stay in the past three years and then reset it and try again, but he definitely should have reset it after that first day because he really hosed up and it had only been a day.
He did get away safely with $3500.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well, he could start over again but decide he wants to still save the janitor + siblings, and decide to meet up with Billy again.

But yeah maybe not. It will be weird if he never starts over at all.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

In the show it seems like Al and Jake got in a fight and Jake walked off, yet they keep having flashbacks to a conversation between them... in any case, in one of those flashbacks Al mentions saving someone from a hunting accident, iirc in the books that accident happened shortly after the rabbit hole opening date and Jake did tons of restarts saving her and seeing how everything plays out? Am I right?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Basebf555 posted:

As soon as they were in a seedy club I knew we were probably going to meet Jack Ruby. "Shady club owner" is like the #1 thing the average person would probably know about Ruby.

It seems like at this point resetting is going to be a really tough decision, and something particularly bad probably has to happen to force him into it. Like, somehow saving the janitor's family makes it impossible to save Kennedy, something like that. Or maybe his substitute teacher girlfriend gets killed in one of those accidents caused by time being pissed.
Anyone else kind of shocked when he said he met her in Dallas 2 years ago? He's already been there that long? I don't think he's ever going to start over now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

What did they say?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yes they do.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Xoidanor posted:

I somehow missed this too. :confused:
I'm not sure if I missed the title card or just didn't process it. Either way it's our fault for being bad viewers except except that they sure did fast-forward through two years in a few seconds which pacing-wise is a bit odd.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Medullah posted:

I think a lot of us (especially those that have read the book) were shocked that they did a time jump, and didn't spend a lot more time in the early years.

I guess to make it more obvious they could have had Franco turn to the camera as he was talking to Billy and said "Can you believe we've been here 2 years already?" then just stared at the camera for a few minutes with the Franco Smile.
They basically did that with "I've met you Sadie, remember two years ago?" Which I definitely didn't miss, but which did shock me because yeah I read the book and I remember him having to live through all that time. I guess after skipping two years just like that, they'll just really slow things down for the last 5 episodes.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That was a weird scene when he was asking his 2016 class what they'd change if they could go back in time because like when was he doing that? He'd still been teaching after learning about the time travel talking to Al?

At first I thought that scene was a signal that he was going to screw something up in the past this episode and have to come back.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Because it looks nothing like his place in Dallas, no one except Bill knows about the place in Dallas, and the recording stuff was set up to play in plain sight by the Yellow Card Man.

Seriously, my Dad watches this show while reading his emails and the paper and he still picks up on this poo poo.
By the Yellow Card Man? Not by Sadie's husband??

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wow, I just assumed it was the husband. The Yellow Card Man traveled all the way from Maine to gently caress with Jake's girlfriend, what a dick.

I guess since Jake isn't resetting the timeline more we're not getting to see the yellow card change color and the guy get more wildly upset, they did that... kinda freaky in an interesting way, although if the yellow card guy is really actively trying to disrupt Jake he could probably try harder. I guess we should assume he'll do more later. This also seems to indicate he's somewhat omniscient just in that he's able to find Jake and do this...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Yellow Card Man was pretty memorable in e1 of the show but having him appear in the shadows like 4 episodes later understandably isn't going to ring a lot of bells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The ending translated really well from the book to the show. It was touching and a good finale. Hpwever, the journey from beginning to end that didn't connect on the show, and they even sort of tried a few things to keep it interesting in the series but somehow it still just didn't resonate the way the book's middle pages did. On the show it just felt more like they were killing time until 11/22/63.

The "time loop" thing for the yellow card man never ended up making sense. I mean, because that guy was caught in a time loop trying to save his kid, he just faded in and out of reality around Jake and hosed with Jake to teach him a lesson? And why does Sadie die "every time" according to him if Jake actually was able to save the janitor and save Kennedy, and Sadie doesn't even die period in the normal timeline? And how is it a "loop" if Jake can just go back to the present and quit trying at any time? Just didn't make sense. Even in the book I was kind of rooting for Jake to just go back to the past and chill there with Sadie forever, but here the reasoning for not doing that was weaker because of the weird yellow card man stuff. Sadie was so sweet and beautiful :3:

Overall, pretty good premiere except when it went a little off the rails with the roaches for example, and very nice finale. The middle kind of lagged after saving the janitor.

• Locked thread