Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

^^^ Until someone happens to dive or dredge that river any time before 2010 or so.

Does the book cover conservation of energy? Seems weird to me that you could go back in time, grab some meat, and bring it back with you. You could go back in time, throw out a bunch of garbage, come back, then reset everything.

The way it works (and he did the same thing with his phone in the book) is that if he goes back to the future, his phone is still in the lake. But if he goes back in again (which it seems like he might) the phone is unrecoverable. It's vanished in an erased timeline. Should he save the Janitor's family but then go in again, he'd have to do it again. Plus side is Car Accident Girl and Boarding House Kid will be alive.

The meat too was literally the exact same meat. Al went back over and over to the same day and bought the same cut of meat for decades. The reset thing is handy. For example he can keep the $3500 he got from the bookie, but if he goes back again that bookie won't remember him and he doesn't even have to go back to place the bet--he's still got he cash. He can knock over a bank and as long as he gets away he can go back and do it again and again.

Not to get too spoilery with the book, but IIRC the "past pushing back" only came in at the very end. He was able to change small things easy. By bringing that element in so early, they are making the story a lot more dangerous and interesting. Though it makes me wonder why Al thought he'd ever have a shot at saving JFK if just going to watch a tertiary guy have a meeting nearly gets you killed...

Overall though I loved the book and think the show is a great version of it. Franco is fantastic, I've always liked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

If he does this again he'll tell the Christian Boarding House lady he writes for the Saturday Evening Post, and tell her husband about the time he was in Korea with some civilians on a bus and one had a chicken that wouldn't shut up...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I kinda hope he goes back at least once, because IIRC in the book when he saved boy Janitor it led to some unintended fuckup consequences in the future. I kinda want to see a payoff there.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

In the book the portal just resets over and over and you can't ever meet yourself.

I'm gonna be a little disappointed if he never goes back and resets. What's the point of saving the Janitor's family if we never see the payoff?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't think they ever get into those questions in the book. Stephen King is always less about the "rules" and science behind stuff than he is the effects of extraordinary situations on normal people.

Kinda like :lost:

(Oh yeah, I went there :smug: )

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Well, that episode was super dull. And if the CIA is behind JFK's assassination, what do you think you can do about it? Even if you foil one attempt, why wouldn't they just try again? But that issue aside, mostly I'm just bored now. This story doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Is the past still pushing back at him? It doesn't seem to be. Is he making any real progress on saving JFK? He doesn't seem to be. It seems like he's half way between two stories and not really committed to either. One is the JFK thing, the other is him living this life in the '60s, and each of them is getting in the way of the other so neither of them really go anywhere.

In a way though, that's the story. If it was just a thought exercise in "how would you/or would you even save JFK", then the Macguffin would be he could choose when to go back, or he'd show up in October '63. The fact that he has to slowly live through 3 years means like any of us, he'll get roped in to living a life and being "off mission" after awhile, which makes for a more interesting story.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

waitwhatno posted:

The clothespin thing was very well done. It brought home how hosed up that guy is in the head, while leaving all the details to the viewer's own imagination. I hope they never mention it again.

Also, I'm still kinda struggling with the whole premise of the show. Maybe it's because I'm not American, but I just don't understand why preventing the JFK assassination is supposed to be such a big deal. Why would you assume that it would make the world better? Why would you spend years of your life on this? This obsession seems to come out of nowhere.

I guess it would be kinda interesting to see how it changes the flow of history, but I wouldn't waste years of my life.

I think it's a bit of an American thing, but it's also an age thing. For Boomers, it's what "stopping 9/11" would be to us. It's a bit of a stretch to believe that Franco's character, a solid Gen Xer, would care as much. I kinda had the same doubts when I read the book, but it was inevitable when you're reading a book by a Boomer who started writing it in the 70s and was writing a character much younger than he is now. King can't quite step into the shoes of someone born in the 70s so there's a little less fish out of water stuff than you or I would experience going back 50 years. Though I have to say somewhat selfishly a Gen Xer would be slightly more able to fit into 1960 than someone born in an era of Internet, more than 3 channels on tv, microwaves, VCRs/DVDs, cell phones/no rotary phones, etc. People born in the 70s can at least remember some of that from their childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nixon did do some good things that were overshadowed by his condoning of dirty tricks and social opinions common to the time which would make him Shitlord Tier Level today (but were also common to many liberal heroes of the era). Also he has been demonized by Boomers to this day to the point where it's a joke. Guys like Matt Groening still hate Nixon to a silly degree. He was a competent President in many respects. He even believed in Single Payer Healthcare IIRC.

FilthyImp posted:

Another analogy to stopping JFK9-11: Camelot doesn't fall, American disillusionment doesn't start ratcheting up.

One problem is of course do things could easily get worse if we don't go through the disillusionment of the assassinations and Watergate. Just like if you prevent 9/11 does the lack of survellence and awareness allow for a greater terrorist attack 10 years later?

• Locked thread