Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

No one was suggesting he should stay in the past three years and then reset it and try again, but he definitely should have reset it after that first day because he really hosed up and it had only been a day.

timp posted:

Which brings up the point from earlier; most glaring issue with the story as presented thus far: loving RESET dude! Call this one a wash, walk back out, and try again. Kinda weird they didn't even hint at trying that.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Completely agree with others that him not doing at least one reset and showing that he's learnt how to handle himself in the past from his rough start seems a miss.

They had a whole scene with Al where he tells him that if he puts it off it will be too easy for him to keep rationalizing pushing it back further and further until he just ditches it altogether. He's running on inertia and if he chickened out on his run the first day he was there then there's no way he would be able to handle 3+ years of the universe loving with him.

timp posted:

I thought this was moderately cool, definitely worth checking out the next episode at the very least. I know a lot of people poo poo on him, but I think James Franco is great and I'm enjoying him the most in this show so far. His reactions to how different things are in 1960, usually how cheap things are, were all my favorite parts of this episode. Loved his poo poo eating grin upon hearing the price of the car.

Agreed. I really liked the book but Jake kind of came off as a blank slate at times, Franco gives the guy a lot more personality and humor.

Also I really like how they're handling the whole "the past pushes back" thing by making it much more overt and spooky and visual. The ending of the scene with the phone booth was legitimately creepy and the way that "you shouldn't be here" is used over and over is really effective and also lets you share some of Jake's paranoia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Honestly I think that Hulu is just motivated by greed and doing it so that people can't just subscribe for one month and watch the entire thing. You either gotta wait until it's over or pay for multiple months to watch it while its airing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The scene in the first episode where he has "insanely good" pie at the diner has to be a reference to Franco's "so good" diner pie scene in Spider-man 3.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Karmine posted:

a character who barely appears in the book

The book is 866 pages pages long and the first 250 of those is dedicated to his "test run" of stopping the crazy dad from murdering his family, the book spent a lot of time on him. Having Jake actually spend time with the father in person is a lot more engaging and appropriate for a visual medium like TV than an episode of him just skulking in the shadows spying on them and musing about how wrong everything feels, especially since they couldn't use Derry and the kids from IT.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee posted:

James Franco mouths 15 but says 16.

The past is pushing back :tinfoil:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

nosleep posted:

Read somewhere on reddit

I see a critical error in your post.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The entire gimmick of the book/show is that the dude has to spend 5/3 years living in the past leading up to the big day, you can't really get mad at people for being disappointed that they just handwaved a huge amount of that time.

Though if they had actually done an episode or two in 1961 or 1962 to show the passage of time then people would complain about there being filler, so :shrug:

Either way it would be a lot better if they just dumped the whole show at once.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

pahuyuth posted:

Does the book ever answer questions about the portal (or has the show answered these and I missed them) like can more than one person go through and If so, what happens if one person stays and the other returns to present? Where did it come from?

I'm pretty sure it was already quoted in this thread but at the beginning of the book Jake asks Al about what would happen if he caused a time paradox and Al answers "why the gently caress would you do that?" and that's the end of that. It does the Looper/Austin Powers thing where it acknowledges that time travel is completely bonkers if you try and think about it and then moves on.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

blue squares posted:

Prediction! Miss Mimi has cancer, hence her constant coughing that the show was deliberate about showing. In 1962, she has no way to get the treatment she needs. Jake brings her with him into the future to get treatment and leaves her there. He goes back into the past and finds a copy of Miss Mimi back in Jodie.

This isn't that kind of time travel story, thank god.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

savinhill posted:

Miss mimi being deathly ill is definitely gonna be a subplot, just don't know if it'll tie into the main JFK/timetravel stuff. Maybe Jake will end up having to ditch an important hospital visit or her funeral due to his secret mission.

Medicine has made leaps and bounds in the 50 years since the show takes place, a hospital room where the bed is raised and lowered with hand cranks and the IVs are hooked up to glass bottles would be so alien and dangerous that they'd have to feature some sometime as part of the undercurrent of the past not being as idyllic as it looks.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ein cooler Typ posted:

in the novelbook miss mimi isn't black and she and Deke get married

how come the novel is 11/22/63 and the TV show is 11.22.63

what deeper meaning could it have?

File formats don't play nice with forward slashes :filez:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ein cooler Typ posted:

All tv shows titles should include / to thwart criminals

I'm pretty sure that this was the thought process behind Mr. Robot's episode titles.

quote:

eps1.0_hellofriend.mov
eps1.1_ones-and-zer0es.mpeg
eps1.2_d3bug.mkv
eps1.3_da3m0ns.mp4
eps1.4_3xpl0its.wmv
eps1.5_br4ve-trave1er.asf
eps1.6_v1ew-s0urce.flv
eps1.7_wh1ter0se.m4v
eps1.8_m1rr0r1ng.qt
eps1.9_zer0-day.avi

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Al framed stopping the assassination as a way of preventing Vietnam from happening, which would presumably in turn stop the military-industrial complex from developing and American policy from overcompensating after getting their rear end handed to them and being forced to retreat. Whether it would really happen or not, in the story it's not just about the soldiers who died in Vietnam but pretty much every major military conflict afterward. Including 9/11.

Plus it's one of the few major historical turning points that was a singular event done by one person (barring conspiracy theories), which is why it works from a storytelling perspective as something a single man could feasibly prevent. Even moreso than the well-worn time travel trope of assassinating Hitler.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That was the original concept of the book- there were no resets, he got a lethal dose of radiation when he came back, and he had to stop himself in the past before the radiation poisoning killed him.

Before anybody worries about this being a spoiler, originally Under the Dome was about an apartment building getting locked off from civilization and the residents having to resort to cannibalism. Some of King's stories go through a lot of iterations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ravane is a boring troll, please don't encourage him by quoting and/or responding to him.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
So between this and The Man In The High Castle it seems like the fate of alternate-history 60s shows is to have a really strong start and then devolve into lovely relationship drama while the actual cool stuff happens off to the side, if not offscreen entirely.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
JJ Abrams ia an exectuive producer on this and if Fringe is any indication the dude loves loving around with intros as storytelling shorthand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKHc7pKZdj0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

OK, so he already learned in episode one about how making huge bets was a super dumb idea. I get that he needed a lot of money in a hurry, but what did he think was going to happen? How was he expecting this to play out?

That happened in the pilot so it doesn't count, same with his betting book and other future materials getting burned up or "you shouldn't be here" getting used constantly.

• Locked thread