Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
What the gently caress is this show even doing. They waste an entire episode on the main character re-remembering stuff the audience already knows and the teenage sidekick they introduced and spent most of the show building up dies for no real reason and contributes nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

brylcreem posted:

lol

JJ Abrams can blow me.

Yes, let's blame the guy who didn't wrote or direct a single episode of the entire show.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm slightly frightened by the way this is playing out that the deviations are there to bake in options for a second season.

At the very least the ending has to be different from the book because having the Yellow Card Man be a fellow time traveler trapped in a loop due to his inability to let go of the past like the last episode suggests rather than part of a group of Time Cops means that the book's entire ending isn't going to work.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ExtraNoise posted:

Not even headcanon can reconcile this.

:(

What if he's from a future so advanced he actually has a head cannon?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I can understand them excising all the universe falling apart and reality growing thin a la The Dark Tower stuff for the sake of simplicity but they really should have just excised the Yellow Card Man in the process instead of having a neutered version of him that doesn't really contribute anything to the story.

It's funny, most of the time people clamor for an adaptation to be a miniseries instead of a movie but I feel like this would have worked better if the first two eps and the finale were made into a movie instead of a series where 5/8ths of it was filler.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not sure how you could have taken him out completely, because he's the reason Jake decides he can't ever be with Sadie. You'd really have to re-write the ending completely to show Jake going through multiple cycles where he gradually figures it out on is own.

An easy way to do it is to have Sadie be all :wtc: when a man she's never met before starts creeping on her and apparently knows everything about her and have Jake realize on his own that he can't ever have a true relationship with her again because the balance of power is so skewed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I thought the book ending was a nice capstone on the idea of casual time travel. You can sell the same few pounds of ground beef endlessly and you can save a life or two but you can't significantly change the past because doing so causes the very fabric of reality to unravel. What happened happened and you need to accept it and make the best of it instead of endlessly fixating on what could have been.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It really felt like a good ending to the story which is something I usually don't expect from King, I expect him to write an amazingly captivating narrative that fizzles out towards the end, this time I was hooked 'till the last page and felt like he really nailed it.

Apparently his son Joe Hill helped him rewrite the ending, but that was the Sadie stuff and not the actual time travel bits. Here's the original book ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

In addition to Oswald owning the gun, Jake told the guy at the door that Oswald was gonna shoot the president and to get the police, and Sadie was with him.

And he did angrily hand-delivered a letter to the FBI that practically screamed "I am a violent revolutionary and am going to kill the president" and Jake even (rightfully) called them out on ignoring it.

• Locked thread