Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

egon_beeblebrox posted:

My wife looooved the first episode, and has never liked anything else Stephen King related.

Great, great start. I hope it doesn't fall apart, like the old adaptation of The Stand did. Great at first, but every subsequent hour worse than the last.

Even Shawshank, The Green Mile, or The Mist? Wow.

I really enjoyed this episode too. I was this close to getting the book, and now I want to avoid spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm really disappointed in how they handled Sadie's injuries compared to the book. "Oh no, a big scar!" versus salivary duct and cranial nerve damage with resultant facial droop -- really noticeable impediments and deformity. Really,, overall I'm not very impressed with the changes they made in the adaption, though I do think the actors have overall done a good job with the material they've been given.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah her very photogenic scar immediately reminded me of Tyrion's injury. American TV really can't deal with making a protagonist genuinely ugly, even if it's only for two episodes of a mini-series I guess.

The doctor going "We did the best we can" yanking Jake's chain ruthlessly for what amounts to be a largely inconsequential scar was also really pathetic compared to how those particular scenes went down in the book where people were just generally relieved that she was gonna be ok.

Tell me about it. 75% of the time her freaking hair covers up the scar anyway. I literally have seen worse injuries from someone being struck with a shoe. (And the obvious joke was actually true -- it was a stiletto heel.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm about ready for this to end. It wasn't bad, but just fell flat compared to the book, which I really enjoyed.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

waitwhatno posted:

Lee was great, the whole show should have been about him visiting various government agencies and complain about mass surveillance and capitalism. he could have visited the ATF, CIA, NSA, ATF, IRS, DMV, the Secret Service or maybe even the FDA.
Have him go through the breach instead of shooting Kennedy, see what the NSA has been doing, and go from there. Preferably as a Lee Harvey Oswald and Edward Snowden buddy comedy.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'll echo the above: great beginning, great ending, verrrrrry uneven middle. The show's portrayal of "the obdurate past" didn't live up to its initial car-into-a-phone-booth, which was extremely sinister. But, hey, there were some good moments. You sorta wish he'd at least have told Sadie that her husband was a crazy creepster. (Or that The Yellow Card Man was played by Tom Waits.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently his son Joe Hill helped him rewrite the ending, but that was the Sadie stuff and not the actual time travel bits. Here's the original book ending.

I would have been fine with either. The miniseries really did nail the ending, though it did appear that Sadie didn't have a scar. Whatever, it was such a leap up from the mid-series doldrums that I didn't care. Better to end on a high note rather than slump, since now I'll remember the series more fondly overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Comrade Fakename posted:

I noticed in the credits that JJ Abrams actually composed the title theme.

Both the music and the visuals of the title sequence are great.

• Locked thread