Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Pretty good first episode, hoping it doesn't turn into another Under the Dome.

I hope it's a well done, limited mini-series, which is what Under the Dome should have been. Both have good concepts but stretching that premise out over multiple seasons is a bad, bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

I don't know why Duhamel finally picked this show to do some actual real acting in, but hey I'm glad.

Well let's be honest, Transformers and Win a Date With Tad Hamilton weren't exactly the best material to start with.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

brylcreem posted:

It wouldn't make sense thematically if he didn't reset at least once.

In the pilot they showed that his impetus for deciding to go back was the janitor receiving his diploma, but still not being able to get a promotion.

So there's this big, unresolved thing hanging over everything: What happened to the janitor? Is he okay now?

So yeah, more time travel.

I'm starting to get worried (Book spoilers and conjecture about end of show) that they're reserving the reset for the very end. You know they're going to use Chekov's Reset once since it was mentioned, but in the book he's reset at least twice at this point. Though based on the preview Sadie's husband comes back next episode so perhaps they'll use it after he attacks her - I just find it odd they're already doing the character build up with him and Sadie with no reset done yet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Yea he's close enough to the date of the assassination now that he has to reset at least once just because we have 5 episodes left. I wonder if maybe he saves Kennedy, but that somehow makes the future even shittier, or if he stops Oswald but Time says gently caress you and Kennedy gets killed some other way a week later.

Like Supernatural's classic Mystery Spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iancUEwE1mA

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nosleep posted:

Read somewhere on reddit that the screenwriter stated that there wouldn't be any resets, and once he's there he's there. Don't have any relevant article for the quote, but if that's true it kinda takes some good aspects of the story away. I really feel like some of the changes they're making are just for the hell of it, not actually for the benefit of translating book to screen. I shouldn't be surprised though, I can't remember the last time I wasn't disappointed with any book adaptation. I'm sure the Dark Tower will be a hot mess.

I can't see them not doing a reset. They wouldn't have mentioned it if they didn't plan on using it. I said it earlier, but it's Chekhov's Gun.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Quisty posted:

My guess is he saves Kennedy, comes back to present day, and like the book, sees everything is hosed up and goes back to live happily ever after with Sadie while she's young. And that will be the only reset.

This seems like a very likely outcome. I would bet they'd also show that something bad happened to Sadie after he left, so he doesn't feel guilty going back.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zwille posted:

I think it's funny that the time jump we're discussing in a time travel series is the 1960-1962 one of all things. :v:

I think a lot of us (especially those that have read the book) were shocked that they did a time jump, and didn't spend a lot more time in the early years.

I guess to make it more obvious they could have had Franco turn to the camera as he was talking to Billy and said "Can you believe we've been here 2 years already?" then just stared at the camera for a few minutes with the Franco Smile.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

I'm pretty sure that this was the thought process behind Mr. Robot's episode titles.

Hahaha was literally about to reply with the same response.

And I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have fallen for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ravane posted:

At first, I thought she said safety pin. Which really scarred my mental imagery.

Just Google a Price Albert if you want to be extra scarred then

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Azhais posted:

late 50s early 60s it was a pretty big deal. 63 the first major player went state's evidence. I'd think the mafia would have been news.

But maybe not news in a small town which back in that time really pretty much just focused on local news and the big things like war/space race/etc.

(Or it could just be a mistake)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man this is just going downhill fast. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Does the book go into detail about what happens with a living Kennedy?

Basically the past pushing back causes earthquakes and other disasters, on top of the wars and general bad voodoo.

• Locked thread