Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently his son Joe Hill helped him rewrite the ending, but that was the Sadie stuff and not the actual time travel bits. Here's the original book ending.
Considering that Joe helped him come up with the :rolleyes: clever idea :rolleyes: of tying 9/11 into The Dark Tower plot, I'm so pleasantly surprised by this. The book ending to 11.23 was sappy and absolutely wonderful. Just like in the show, but better simply by virtue of having invested 800 pages with these two.

Guy Mann posted:

I thought the book ending was a nice capstone on the idea of casual time travel. You can sell the same few pounds of ground beef endlessly and you can save a life or two but you can't significantly change the past because doing so causes the very fabric of reality to unravel. What happened happened and you need to accept it and make the best of it instead of endlessly fixating on what could have been.
There's a neat line in Insomnia, where some folks have been asked to save someone's life but they want to know why. Of all the lives, why this one? And I always loved the answer, and we see parallels to it in 11.22.63. Of course the show's ending is a more realistic ending as opposed to the novel's "poo poo is literally tearing apart the fabric of the universe" ending, but the idea is the same:

quote:

Every now and again a man or woman comes along whose life will affect not just those about him or her, or even all those who live in the Short-Time world, but those on many levels above and below the Short-Time world. These people are the Great Ones, and their lives always serve the Purpose. If they are taken too soon, everything changes. The scales cease to balance. Can you imagine, for instance, how different the world might be today if Hitler had drowned in the bathtub as a child? You may believe the world would be better for that, but I can tell you that the world would not exist at all if it had happened. Suppose Winston Churchill had died of food poisoning before he ever became Prime Minister? Suppose Augustus Caesar had been born dead, strangled on his own umbilical cord? Yet the person we want you to save is of far greater importance than any of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread