Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

brylcreem posted:

I guess I was just too busy crawling out from under the giant anvil that had just fallen on me, with the inscription "Racism is bad, you guys!".

That's not the entire point of that scene. As buddhanc said, it's likely to point out that Jake is a complete outsider with views antithetical to the time period and region he's in.

I'd also argue that the scene also points out how institutionalized the racism was (and still is in some areas) in the South. Miss Mimi was almost as horrified at Jake's actions as the gas attendant was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Frosted Flake posted:

I've seen those demographic maps of US cities and have of course heard about how divided Chicago, Atlanta, etc. still are. The gas station scene really got me thinking about how those towns couldn't have changed overnight, but also couldn't possibly still be divided so formally. What happened to towns and cities that had a "Niggertown" in the 50 years since?

These kinda things still happen via gentrification and other ways. The biggest, most recent case I can think of is the mostly white suburban Grosse Pointe Park, MI blocking off one of the major arteries between it and Detroit as a "beautification" effort.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Basebf555 posted:

He's probably from some other time where the technology available allows him more control over where/when he travels.

He's from the future that The Flash comes from in Batman v Superman: Warner Bros' Corporate Mandated Superhero Movie #2

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Cojawfee posted:

I kind of wish they would have explained more what happened differently. He kept saying "yeah but then the bombs." What bombs? Nuclear bombs? Did Russia bomb the US? What the hell happened? Kennedy wasn't president but also somehow founded some refugee camps? Instead Jake is asking if 9/11 happened or not.

Yeah, the glossing over of the alternate future was frustrating. I wanted to know how poo poo went hinky with JFK alive but they barely scratched the surface. It cheapened the whole conceit of the show, in my opinion.

• Locked thread