Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

King characters are all over the place here. The extremely unsettling middle aged Christian woman stood out for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Yes, and its awesome. Don't hate.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

At this point in the book and the novel, Jake has no idea which version of time travel he's dealing with.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

so the yellow card man is a failed time traveler in his own right? interesting and tragic, especially if he has to relive those events every time someone steps through the portal. All that free meat has a price after all...

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Yeah, Oswald's constant self-important strutting around really gives me insight into what kind of person could try to assassinate a president on their own. I know it can't be documentary-style real, but still I think its a good insight into human nature.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

One cool detail from the book was that the time cops start going insane specifically because time travelers don't change the past, by changing things they create a new universe according to the many worlds theory of time travel. And it is the time cops' responsibility to remember every single alternate reality and everything that happened in them. Its easy for the first time cop to remember that some dude from the future comes back 1000 times to buy cheap hamburger. It drives him insane when he has to remember every change from Amberson going back to kill Kennedy.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

No, they are markedly absent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Spoilers for the book version of 11.22.63 and a ton of other Stephen King books ahead, maybe. Wall of text too. Don't bitch at me.

As someone who's read a lot of Stephen King books, when I got into this book I got really excited. In most of his books, its the bad guys that know all about the metaphysical realities of existence, and the good guys are just barely getting by with gut instinct, vague inspiration, and the inadequate power of love. It's as if the very gods of the universe are dead or dying and the entire system is breaking down. (They actually are, and it actually is)

In fact, in one of the Dark Tower books, Susannah sees a vision of an old man trapped in what could be a "room of the Tower" listening to a radio that keeps taunting him with a litany of all the good people who are dead now. One of those names is John F. Kennedy. The old man may or may not be God, and and room may or may not be at the top of the Dark Tower that binds all of existence together.

So it was not only with the hopes of a 21st century American, but also with the hopes of a Stephen King book reader, that I got excited for the plot of this book. "Finally," I thought, "FINALLY the good guys have a metaphysical leg up on the baddies this time. An infinite-tries time portal easily accessible within a nice, normal diner in New England? No evil guardian house to deal with, no jizz-guzzling demons to fight, no Tak lurking nearby, no dimension-hopping Low Men guarding it. FINALLY our side has a free pass to make things better and save John loving Kennedy!"

So it was with a huge disappointment and very mixed feelings that I confronted the messed up alt-history present after he actually succeeds in his quest. The book version of this goes into much more detail. There's earthquakes and tsunamis, yeah. Strange weather too. But there's also ripping sounds that people hear, great tearings that sound like the fabric of reality is breaking down that somehow reminded me of the Langoliers. Then I realized that the reason we didn't see any opposition to Jake Epping's grand quest is because the bad guys approve of it. The Crimson King doesn't care to oppose Jake's windmill tilt because it will result in a nightmare reality breaking apart at the seams and drive one of the Card-Hatted Men insane (and who knows how many of them are left?). The evil monsters from the Todash Darkness can only profit from Jake making more messed up alternate realities, and in the end I'm surprised that no Low Men show up to encourage him to make more trips.

I guess your experience with this novel can only be enhanced by reading more stephen king first, and so I encourage you to do that. I really like how he doesn't really explain what is going on, but what is going on behind the scenes can be inferred so well after absorbing a lot of his work.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 6, 2016

• Locked thread