Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Absolutely loved the book, especially the narration. It was such a great mix of small Americana stories wrapped around this plot to stop Oswald. I keep having such fond memories of the book that I need to go back and re-listen to it but this show is helping with the fix provided I keep reminding myself that it's going to be a small subset of what the book is.

In the book, he did begin to see the past push up on him on the onset as he had car trouble and the road being blocked when trying to save the girl from the hunting accident that were pretty minor in nature but enough resistance to make the point about the past pushing back. It definitely is much heavier handed in the book, can't imagine what it'll be later when he actually is doing REAL things like stopping killers (in Derry) and stopping Oswald, supposed that's what they're saving the giant earthquakes following the event to be the magnitude. Not sure how I feel about the biblical locusts....

Regardless, I'm along for the ride and Franco is doing an excellent job. This is the type of book that would need several seasons to do it justice. As it has been iterated multiple times in the thread already, if you have even the vaguest interest in this TV show do yourself a favor and read/listen to the book. It's incredible and the background on the characters and their motivations mostly make sense in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The most conspicuously absent thing in this whole adaptation was "Life turns on a dime."

Loved the way that was used in the book. But that may just be enhanced by the incredible narration.

Agree with everyone here. Bookends were excellent. Middle was very humdrum and damned if I didn't almost lose it in the final scenes with the Janitor and Sadie.

Firing up the audiobook again first thing in the morning. I've been saving it as a special treat. Seriously, if you haven't read this book DO IT. I rarely have emotional connections to books but this one has stayed with me for years.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Double posting to ask if the book brings up what happens if someone goes through the Rabbit Hole after while someone else is in there.

Nope. Such paradoxes are not addressed. Just like when he asks what would happen if he went back and killed his own grandfather. "Well why the gently caress would you want to do that?!"

That is the end of it.

• Locked thread