Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Ten indeed has quite a bad start, but it’s absolutely worth reading. I really like most of the mahjong players who are introduced later, and it’s very clear why Akagi was so popular he could drive a successful spinoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
"That one weird arc that seemed to drag on"... pretty funny way to describe the Washizu arc (which is 70% of the length of the manga iirc). Ten and Akagi have chunks written at very different points in the fukumoto's career, I think akagi ran on and off for 20+ years? Only truly ending recently. Ten and Akagi do intertwine a lot and I dont even know if there's a read order I'd recommend.

Personally my favorites are kaiji part 1 and gambling emperor zero part 1 because they're so insane and nonstop. GEZ in particular I think is fantastically entertaining and people dont talk about it as much (though it did get adapted into a movie at some point). Kaoji part 1 is by far the most famous/beloved, correctly, and is almost everyone's entry into the fukumotoverse.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 22, 2023

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

No Wave posted:

"That one weird arc that seemed to drag on"... pretty funny way to describe the Washizu arc (which is 70% of the length of the manga iirc). Ten and Akagi have chunks written at very different points in the fukumoto's career, I think akagi ran on and off for 20+ years? Only truly ending recently. Ten and Akagi do intertwine a lot and I dont even know if there's a read order I'd recommend.

Personally my favorites are kaiji part 1 and gambling emperor zero part 1 because they're so insane and nonstop. GEZ in particular I think is fantastically entertaining and people dont talk about it as much (though it did get adapted into a movie at some point). Kaoji part 1 is by far the most famous/beloved, correctly, and is almost everyone's entry into the fukumotoverse.

Akagi actually ran incredibly consistently. I think fukumoto only once took a year off from writing it, and then the following year released chapters biweekly instead of monthly to make up for the year off.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Wow you are right. I didnt realize how long 300 monthly chapters would take but yeah that accounts for the full 25 year run. Crazy that he had basically an entire prolific career while it was running.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It’s kind of wild that he does multiple series at once.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s kind of wild that he does multiple series at once.

Lets be honest 50% of kaiji is just drawing kaiji acting out the narrators metaphors

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Thrilling Kaiji chapters of will he or won't he push the button or whatever. The tension in Akagi is so thick you could cut it with a knife. Will the detective draw 1 pin? Or pull a different tile entirely? Find out next week....

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I havent read this in six months or so, so it was nice to just see a stretch of nothing but Endou eating poo poo.

Venerealmelon
May 27, 2023
This next Kaiji vs old nosy lady arc could be great. You never know with Fukumoto.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

No Wave posted:

"That one weird arc that seemed to drag on"... pretty funny way to describe the Washizu arc (which is 70% of the length of the manga iirc).

I was more referring to the "Hell arc" portion of it. Was a weird little intermission for a mahjong manga.

Also, after reading Akagi first, it's giving me some whiplash to see people winning in Ten with good old-fashioned cheating instead of LEGENDARY SUPER LUCK and POWER OF THE GODS.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

dipwood posted:

I was more referring to the "Hell arc" portion of it. Was a weird little intermission for a mahjong manga.

it was like 21 years. Let him go to hell for a bit

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/58ef3895-5108-4789-ba99-32cbbd97ff3b

SPEECH 100

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I finished Ten and I can't believe a manga ended like this.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Fukumoto is a G

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I want Kaiji to update. Been 2 months and a bit.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Best ending in the medium

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Been months but Kaiji is finally back

https://mangadex.org/chapter/53e2e497-1805-4c8a-8ad9-70c991394402

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dipwood posted:

I finished Ten and I can't believe a manga ended like this.

Mangas with good, proper endings are rare indeed.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Whenever I see Kaiji I think "I can fix him"

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

More chapters. A new villain, racist granny.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The nosiest and most paranoid of grannies

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I think that Kaiji should be drawn wearing a suit and clean cut more often

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Old people just can't leave Kaiji alone.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
Kaiji's got that bad boy energy that drives the ladies crazy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

More chapters. A new villain, racist granny.

If anything it reminds me how Kazuya called the trio the "worst of Asia" lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also good loving lord why didn't Kaiji just told her that they do WFH lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Plutonis posted:

The granny even gave them the perfect out by asking if they come from wealthy families. It'd be so easy to just go "oh yeah we're all fabulously rich" and that'd be that.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Plutonis posted:

It's because while Kaiji may be good at gambling, unless he's talking to other losers he's hopelessly socially inept

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

The granny even gave them the perfect out by asking if they come from wealthy families. It'd be so easy to just go "oh yeah we're all fabulously rich" and that'd be that.

She'd still think they'd need to get work instead of leeching off their families that way.

The work from home line is much better, but it would require intuiting the old woman's actual intent, rather than assuming she's a standard busy-body.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Buschmaki posted:

It's because while Kaiji may be good at gambling, unless he's talking to other losers he's hopelessly socially inept

I expected better from Chang

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Plutonis posted:

it's kinda weird but kaiji's story is still in the late 90s (the mazda guy was a reminder that reestablished that) so I don't know how common or believable it'd be to say they all work from home.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

it's kinda weird but kaiji's story is still in the late 90s (the mazda guy was a reminder that reestablished that) so I don't know how common or believable it'd be to say they all work from home.

I legit forgot about that because the Tonegawa Spinoff had episodes about Teiai having an official twitter lol

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also the previous three arcs all happened in a single night.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Granny Mone is how i’m gonna be when i’m seventy

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Also i’m gonna smoke like a chimney and play mahjong in public parks

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

AS if a granny will listen to whatever a clear good-for-nothing criminal like him says.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We got a fourth Kaiji chapter

https://mangadex.org/chapter/84b90d7a-6a02-4f25-8037-a7dcec29cd5c

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Computer, show me a picture of Kaiji smiling.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Calling it now: I think Kaiji is wrong about granny, they're really gonna get in trouble because of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Kaiji has never trusted someone he shouldnt have (dont mention endou)