Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

the golf hell never ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Man, this manga is fantastic. Genuinely one of my favorites running right now, Fukamoto is just so good at writing characters in realistic(ally depressing) situations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It’s been five years since chapter 1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s been six years since chapter 1

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I can get the Golf exam but he really spend two years without advancing his relationship...

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The way years pass by in this manga like it's nothing is giving me existential dread.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

New Kaiji, sort of - the prequel/short story Kaiji before Espoir has gotten translated

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Petiso posted:

The way years pass by in this manga like it's nothing is giving me existential dread.

It is accurate! FKMT understands the human condition.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Petiso posted:

Yup, I caught up on Golf manga since the thread seemed to like it, and I didn't really expect the passing years to hit me as hard as they did. I'm really rooting for him, but that last Kirishima chapter put those feelings into perspective. And we're 2-3 years past that chapter now too.

overeager overeater posted:

New Kaiji, sort of - the prequel/short story Kaiji before Espoir has gotten translated

This was cute, though I'd be sad if it turned out Bongo was the friend who ditched Kaiji on the loan that started off the series. :(

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Ventana posted:

Yup, I caught up on Golf manga since the thread seemed to like it, and I didn't really expect the passing years to hit me as hard as they did. I'm really rooting for him, but that last Kirishima chapter put those feelings into perspective. And we're 2-3 years past that chapter now too.

This was cute, though I'd be sad if it turned out Bongo was the friend who ditched Kaiji on the loan that started off the series. :(

nah, that guy is named in the first chapter

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ringo Roadagain posted:

nah, that guy is named in the first chapter

I think he also shows up later in one of the gambles. It didn't go well for him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He shows up for the first gamble and with Kaiji's help gets his debt eliminated. Though he is also convinced to betray Kaiji to make more money.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
My bad I completely forgot. Apparently he was the other guy that was helping Kaiji during restricted Janken, alongside Ando. And Ando was such a dick that I forgot an important plot line.

Kinda weird to me then, cause the reason Kaiji had the debt was that Takeshi bailed on him and the debt transferred to Kaiji. But if Teiai found Takeshi anyways and put him on the espoir, shouldn’t that mean they just give the debt back to Takeshi, no longer needing Kaiji? I know Teiai is evil etc, I just never actually had a co-signer bail on me so idk what’d happen. If Espoir-arc also talked about this then I forgot

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think co-signing means they were both in debt. Teiai logic would send both to the espoir even Takeshi didnt disappear on kaiji.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm kind of curious if Nikaidou is ever going to actually become successful at golf, since everything we've seen indicates that he's just straight-up not good enough, with Nikaidou himself commenting on how Kirishima is simply more skilled than him during practice. So even if Nikaidou has been getting unlucky during the pro test and could conceivably pass it, he just doesn't seem to have a very bright future in the sport (and this doesn't seem like the sort of series where there'd be a sudden turn-around without some sort of reasonable explanation).

Also, was it ever explained what the deal with the little shadow man early on was? Is that just supposed to be his self-doubt or something? I don't remember seeing it any time recently.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

I'm kind of curious if Nikaidou is ever going to actually become successful at golf, since everything we've seen indicates that he's just straight-up not good enough, with Nikaidou himself commenting on how Kirishima is simply more skilled than him during practice. So even if Nikaidou has been getting unlucky during the pro test and could conceivably pass it, he just doesn't seem to have a very bright future in the sport (and this doesn't seem like the sort of series where there'd be a sudden turn-around without some sort of reasonable explanation).

Also, was it ever explained what the deal with the little shadow man early on was? Is that just supposed to be his self-doubt or something? I don't remember seeing it any time recently.

I bet the little shadow man is his golf skill that he has been ignoring.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Surely next chapter will be the start of the mahjong arc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel bad that I burst out laughing when Kasumi in the caterpillar suit appeared during the idol performance. It was so pitiful that it crossed the line into funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

It's hard to say, as there really isn't a "good" option for Nikaidou involving golf. He's obviously good at golf, just not to the point where he can be a professional - so like you said, I doubt he'd be able to be successful even if he did pass the test. Theoretically his arc should be about him accepting that he's just not going to be good enough...but then where does that leave him? He's seemingly devoted his whole life to this dream, if it doesn't work out then there's not really anywhere for him to go. If he quits, does he just work at the golf club until he retires? The typical shonen solution would be he hunkers down and devotes himself to a training arc and finally improves to the point of success, but this very obviously isn't that kind of story. This is a much more brutally realistic story, and realistically that just isn't going to happen.

I think the only good outcome for him is to quit, but find happiness and fulfillment in something else. I suspect this is partially why it's called "Hell" golf - the sport itself is Nikaidou's own personal hell that he can't escape until he leaves the game itself. However knowing how stubborn he is, I kind of doubt he'll ever let that happen.