Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gyra_Solune posted:

i watched Kaiji and it was good

then I watched the second season of Kaiji and it was not as good

thus is my tale

Season 2 of Kaiji has big pacing problems. The first half is rock solid but the whole pachinko arc could have probably 4 or 5 episodes worth cut from it and be easily edited down into a tight, exciting narrative instead of tons of footage of ball bearings swirling around drains and the backstory of some loser villain that's totally inconsequential.

I tried to watch Akagi and got maybe six or seven episodes in but it just didn't click for me like Kaiji, which is one of my favorite series of all time. I don't have a great grasp of Mahjong (I get the basics) so I don't have the innate understanding of why certain things are so unusual or important. That isn't totally necessary to enjoy the show, but what I really didn't like was that it's just not the same to go from a series like Kaiji, where the hero is smart but still a struggling underdog, to one like Akagi where it's made pretty clear that the protagonist is a genius that will definitely dominate everyone around him, even if there's a wrinkle in his plan now and then.

Started reading Kurosawa because of this thread, it's rad so far. Just brutal in the best way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU