Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Nah I figured out how fkmt's cynicism works... This time they'll be Kaiji's friends forever, trust me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I love these pages

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

I need this in my life

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
...CAMOUFLAGE!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm loving these last chapters, I'm just a bit frustrated because I really wanted Kaiji to be a little more paranoid and entertain the idea that Kazuya wants some space to cheat. It feels like Kaiji's overconfidence on Kazuya's sense of honor is gonna be his downfall.

Yes Fukumoto I know how your goddamn mind works. :argh:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
lol at Kaiji going all galaxy brain with this one poker poo poo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
FINALLY

I'm surprised that Kazuya actually didn't cheat with all these aces at the beginning, i was sure of that for a long time what the gently caress.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I always thought we would get a Kurosawa anime

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

yeah actually they will posted:

when kaiji said he was going to turn into a monster i started yelling

I loving love this dumb gambling manga

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I wonder if those ads with the girl at the ending of episodes will be back. Those were hella weird.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
rip kazuya

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
sakazaki is awfully judgmental considering the kind of gambler that he used to be

so I'd count that as a "betrayal", kinda

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
but I feel like this time Chang and Mario are LEGIT

at least for now, until Kaiji reveals that he's kind of a privileged* lazyass, I don't think they'd betray him but if they get out of this and Kaiji goes back to making up excuses to gamble again they'd kick his rear end.

(*) compared to them

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
so Kaiji went down and readjusted the net I guess?

Hyoudou casually being an insensitive jerk in the flashback was funny as poo poo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
guys I'm not sure about the physics of this

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm loving this new arc and the credit pages.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

yeah actually they will posted:

They shouldve taken the money he offered

I feel like some poo poo will happen and they'll go back and beg for that money. I know how Kaiji works.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Hypocrisy posted:

The whole time I was scared to death that Kaiji would lose all his money already.

this is probably gonna be the entire arc, so intense

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Can Of Worms posted:

B) I looked up more details and that trailer is insanely misleading, the movie actually is a Kaiji adaptation

are you loving kidding me :psyduck:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I bet it's official because fkmt just seem like the kinda of guy who would be down with the clown

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm sad Hakuryu didn't come back for the Tonegawa anime, I thought that was a given. I mean seriously, why even bother

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It is actually really good. It's both the definitive parody of FKMT's own manga and genuine observational comedy.

I feel vindicated by it because I always felt somewhat ambivalent about Tonegawa's character. Don't get me wrong, he's a great character but there's this thing...

"Oh Tonegawa is so badass~~ look at him ranting about how millenials are living wrong, ah a such a manly role model!"

And then the Tonegawa anime is about pointing how full of poo poo he is and his ridiculous corporate life. Like getting salty about a coworker's powerpoint, gently caress yeah this is so great :jackbud:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The narrator tries too hard and annoys me

It's kinda like the narrator is a real life Ebitani

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Meme Emulator posted:

Boo, I was hoping the guy heading up the team was a scarred up Tonegawa instead of some guy from the Bog arc I dont even remember

don't diss Otsuki, he's a hella popular character in Japan

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I laughed super hard at this last chapter.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kaiji's mom is great.

came here to post this

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I don't remember the beginning of the manga very well but I do remember that in Kaiji Gaiden (an early "what if kaiji didn't go to espoir" oneshot story) he tricks money out of his parents and friends. Fukumoto seems somewhat regretful of this oneshot though.

Current Kaiji has a strong moral compass, and assumes responsibilities even too much sometimes, so yeah I don't see him stealing from his parents. He is a lazy underachiever and definitely has a gambling problem, I think he seems somewhat reasonable now in the Prize Money Escape arc only because he's still in Survival Mode.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
kaiji's mom is the best

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I wonder now if Kaiji's mom is aware that he's been in some deep gambling poo poo and is just playing along with him to make him feel better. The pachinko bit in her Kaiji imitation felt like a hint of that.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
oh man I forgot how great kurosawa was

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
That bit in Kurosawa where they talk about Che Guevara confirmed a lot of things that I suspected about FKMT for years

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I feel like comparatively Kaiji lucked out way more in The Bog. In the Mahjong win he tilted his chances and made a (still risky) bet on it. The Bog was a rollercoaster of unpredictable poo poo that rolled over his plans and everyone but in the end it still worked out.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The fact that Kaiji is brilliant but still fallible is one of the main appeals of the character to me. It makes me way more invested in the story.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I love how clueless Kaiji is to simple mundane poo poo.

Mario was the closest to good but the thing is, they should aim for not calling too much attention. Kazuya's dressing style is way over the top, if bad comes to worst the bank clerks will definitely remember him.

I hope they go to the bank, see how out of place they all are and then give up and come back dressed in a way everybody else is.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

CodfishCartographer posted:

Goddamn the Tonegawa manga loving rules.

:goonsay: this is actually the Otsuki manga, it's a separate series from the Tonegawa manga :goonsay:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

chang is getting real

seriously the guy can't get a break

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Plutonis posted:

Also good loving lord why didn't Kaiji just told her that they do WFH lol

it's kinda weird but kaiji's story is still in the late 90s (the mazda guy was a reminder that reestablished that) so I don't know how common or believable it'd be to say they all work from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Calling it now: I think Kaiji is wrong about granny, they're really gonna get in trouble because of her.