Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

WHOOOO?

One of the most renowned manga artists in the industry right now, Noboyuki Fukumoto, born in 1958, is the author of several psychological drama, seinen and mahjong manga. His biggest claim to fame on the west is the long-running Akagi manga, who has been running for almost 25 years and has both a live-action drama and an anime adaptation. The recurring themes in his manga are how money can corrupt people (except for those who still keep strong to their principles), the criminal underworld of the Yakuza, insane gambling evil old magnates, INTENSE MAHJONG GAMES and of course his incredibly distinctive art style >:7)

Recommended Reading/Watching

Buraiden Gai

Buraiden is my pick for the beginners to his manga since it's only 5 volumes long but has a lot of good stuff! It's about a headstrong and independent teenager down in his luck that is framed in a murder and is sent to a horrifying "reformatory" facility called the "Human Institute".

Gin to Kin

Great read! Gin to Kin is about a young man with money problems that spends all of his cash in horse racing. He meets in a fateful encounter a "villainous man" who takes him under his wing and shows him the way of "villany", where shady deals in the underworld engulf him...

The Legend of Strongest Man Kurosawa

44 year old Kurosawa is a lonely and awkward guy with no friends, unmarried and just wants to get more popular. Things... Things get worse.

Kaiji

Crunchyroll

Unlucky loser Kaiji lives like a bum after finishing high school. Living on a lovely house and on welfare, he has no prospects for his future. When a loan shark called Endo visits him and tells him that his outstanding bet can be solved in two ways, gambling on the mysterious ship "Espoir" or working as a slave for ten years, a dark journey awaits him....

Akagi

Crunchyroll (Anime)
Crunchyroll (Live Action Drama)

Running from 1992 until now, this manga talks about Akagi Shigeru, a mahjong prodigy that since playing for his first time at the age of 13, has become a legend due to his prowess. After defeating several opponents he finally gets to duel completely insane hosed up magnate Washizu Iwao in a deadly mahjong game where THINGS! GO! loving CRAZY!

There are also several others! Talk about them if you want to!

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sonata Mused posted:

I've spent this last year waiting for Washizu to die. IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN

The Washizu arc has been going on for 200+ chapters you expect it to end now

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Its about drat time.

It's a travesty there wasn't a thread.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

My favorite thing about the Fukumoto manga I've read is how they always sympathize heavily with the working class and generally involves a lot of empathy towards people in bad situations.

Kurosawa is one of the few media that realistically addresses almost all of the aspects of how hosed up being homeless is.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Imagine the complete akagi where we'll have at least fifty episodes of the Washizu mahjong arc :worship:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh hell yes the Monk arc is gonna start

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I started reading Seizon back in the day but only the first volume was translated at the time so I forgot about it.

Is it finished?
I don't believe anything by Fukumoto's been officially brought over in English.

Only mangawise. The Kaiji and Akagi animes and the Akagi live action are on CR.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Who's up to start the "Akagi is going to win the match this year toxx"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In this chapter, Akagi half-draws a tile.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

did kurosawa left the barrel already?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

oh wait thats from before they got him in

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gently caress off Namtab

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I started reading Ten, the nice guy in the way of Tenhou

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

fkmtkrazy is back in action and has put up a new chapter of kurosawa

Lmao i just read it. Amazing chapter.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/The-New-Kurosawa/Vol-007-Ch-053--Apology?id=307879

He did it. He became a Boddhisatva

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

alcharagia posted:

I just finished Kurosawa

God drat

Now start the New Kurosawa

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ahahahahaha

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

new kurosawa is out

i got chills when it became apparent that the arm wrestling showdown was gonna happen. kurosawa lost though so I was really sad. he was right though. it kind of wasn't fair. the kurosawa from 9 years ago would have won, but the kurosawa from the right now went from a 9 year long coma to being homeless. and being homeless means you dont get to eat well very often if at all. he hasn't had the chance to become strong again.

Don't post the link or anything

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-24/kaiji-manga-gets-playstation-vr-game-about-crossing-steel-beams/.108023#gallery_top

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Gin to Kin and apparently they are making a live action

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

holy poo poo is this billionaire mahjong guy loving nuts

You gotta be more specific

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-02-12/akagi-mahjong-manga-to-end-in-february-2018-after-27-years/.112151

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*crying blood* It's been two hundred days since someone scanlated new Kurosawa

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

THE 20 YEAR MATCH IS OVER

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Washizu Mahjong Rematch Arc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Hey everyone!!! New kurosawa!

New Gin To Kin, Christ be Praised

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmao the train panel

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I can't hold all those Kings

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nakanes development into a social media obsessed depressed salaryman was probably something I should have seen coming

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Is the Tonegawa manga about Tonegawa from Kaiji or some other Tonegawa-looking dude, cause I remember reading somewhere it wasn't necessarily supposed to be the same guy.

it's the tonegawa from kaiji dude, hyodou is on it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i hope kazuya splats. cmon do it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

can't believe kaiji went out of his way to have kazuya murdered. the man is a demon

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just can't imagining surviving in a first world country only brining home $300 a month. Hell even the other job he talked about was only $5.74 on average if it was a 40 hour a day job (it's really 60). It only makes sense to me if its mostly a bunch of kids living at home trying to work for two years or so before becoming a freelance professional where they can earn a living pay.

It seems that there is a price to pay for a country to be able to produce so much animation.

that's how it is for many people in 'first world nations' lol. why you think people in fukumoto manga are so desperate for moolah

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can't imagine something like this happening in Brazil.

:razzy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They should have beaten the poo poo out of Mitsuyama