Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Plutonis posted:

can't believe kaiji went out of his way to have kazuya murdered. the man is a demon

Can't be the ultimate survivor if anyone else is left alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Animation is ridiculously expensive though. Even if an episode was "only" $500,000 to produce, that would be a pretty penny to spend on promotion material. But to be fair I'm not too seasoned with this topic.

500K? More like 150. Anime is ridiculously cheap.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? How can you live off of this!? Where do the profits even go? CEO heads I assume?

You'd be surprised what you can live on if you have to. It's lovely, but people have managed to get by on even less when they've had no alternatives. (Although it might require memorizing the locations of McDonalds dumpsters.)

As for the second question, that assumes profits. Anime's an industry that tends to work on really tight margins. There are huge successes that can sustain a studio on their own, but most shows are lucky to break even. The industry survives primarily due to low costs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel almost dirty watching anime now.

Well, there are people doing things like running animator dorms to reduce cost of living for people just starting out. You could find one, confirm it's legit, and donate, turn the guilt into some kind of positive action.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, there are people doing things like running animator dorms to reduce cost of living for people just starting out. You could find one, confirm it's legit, and donate, turn the guilt into some kind of positive action.

And because I brought it up, a link to one of those projects.

Sorry for interrupting the regularly scheduled gambling, but I figured I should at least close off my part of the tangent.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

I feel vindicated by it because I always felt somewhat ambivalent about Tonegawa's character. Don't get me wrong, he's a great character but there's this thing...

"Oh Tonegawa is so badass~~ look at him ranting about how millenials are living wrong, ah a such a manly role model!"

And then the Tonegawa anime is about pointing how full of poo poo he is and his ridiculous corporate life. Like getting salty about a coworker's powerpoint, gently caress yeah this is so great :jackbud:

Hey, he's actually able to admit his employee had a better idea than him, give proper credit, and still to sell his value to the president.

In the cutthroat world of middle management, he is, in fact, so badass.

(On a more meta level, I love the stacking nature of the core gag. It's about the boring middle management layer behind high stakes death games... and then it treats the boring middle management layer as THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME OF ALL. You laugh because it treats something so mundane as dangerous, then you laugh as it treats something so dangerous mundanely.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

When I had a "job opportunity" turn out to be multi level marketing, I just claimed that I needed to go to the bathroom and ditched.

At last, something in life I can feel I handled more successfully than Tonegawa did. I mean, beyond not having to get hideous burns due to losing an ultra-high-stakes gambling game for the amusement of an insane billionaire.

Two things.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

If you skip the first half it's probably the best live action anime adaptation ever made, but that first half mischaracterizes Kaiji pretty badly. It sets Kaiji up as a piece of poo poo who has constant violent fantasies and he's got a sick mom as an excuse for the decline in his life. It misses the point of the series from the get go and the ending only solidifies this more.

The deadpool clown stuff is just an excuse to put in sick frozen time cgi demon slaughter and the movie literally starts with the "I bet you're wondering how I got here" cliche.

It's pretty bad but its not a waste of time imo, it's Animal World on netflix if you're interested

To be fair, Kaiji is kind of a piece of poo poo. It just sounds like it makes him the wrong kind of piece of poo poo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

halleys comet posted:

Kaiji ends up a crazed hyoudou style billionaire but instead of sadistically torturing poor people with twisted gambles he tries to get them to sadistically torture him with twisted gambles

That would give Tonegawa a new and exciting set of middle management problems...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

He can only make good decisions under severe duress. Next time he goes on a job interview he should balance a vat of acid on his head beforehand

Kaiji's a capable man, if somebody's there to shoot him every minute of his life

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Teiai are kind of morons

Individual Teiai employees are often quite bright, with clever plans and decent backups.

It's just that Teiai collectively forms a culture that can't learn from its mistakes, and that tends to get convinced it's unstoppable right up until they screw up, at which point all the collective blindspots that no-one bothered to correct come together to make for a total disaster of idiocy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Level Seven posted:

Getting Robot Santa vibes from Hyoudou right now.

Kill my son? They don't deserve the 2.4 billion!

Save my son by breaking a rule? They don't deserve the 2.4 billion!

Way to spoil the ending of the arc where Kaiji gets Hyoudou to let him go by dressing as Zoidberg.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dipwood posted:

I would trust nobody in that room to not sell out the rest immediately. Hiring only garbage human beings ensures Hyoudou's safety.

I think Tonegawa probably wouldn't have sold people out. He just also wouldn't have allowed anyone to set something like that up.

Then again, Tonegawa generally showed more character than Teiai's average, even aside from being a good boss to his underlings most of the time. Basically, you can defend yourself by hiring garbage people with no guts, or people with firm convictions. And people with any kind of conscience don't tend to be easy gets for companies like Teiai.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tonegawa was still a pretty garbage person. In terms of personality and outlook he is similar to Endou.

There's a pretty big difference between them, I'd say, even though they're both garbage people, and it's demonstrated right after we learn Tonegawa's a filthy cheater.

Tonegawa's willing to take his lumps.

We see in these chapters how Endou tries to weasel out, not brave enough to fight back or loyal enough to not try to duck punishment. But in a similar situation, Tonegawa went right up to take the hit, enduring it past the limit of duty and to the limits of human endurance.

Basically, they both make bullshit rules up to justify their advantages, and cheat the system as much as they can, but when Endou gets caught, he tries to rewrite the rules again. Meanwhile, when Tonegawa gets caught, he accepts that, by his own rulings, he's the human trash this round, and he gets the same treatment he'd give others.

Of course, even that tiny shred of virtue got Tonegawa tossed out on his rear end onto a beach somewhere, further ensuring that Teiai has the most useless people up top.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

The granny even gave them the perfect out by asking if they come from wealthy families. It'd be so easy to just go "oh yeah we're all fabulously rich" and that'd be that.

She'd still think they'd need to get work instead of leeching off their families that way.

The work from home line is much better, but it would require intuiting the old woman's actual intent, rather than assuming she's a standard busy-body.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ringo Roadagain posted:

nah, that guy is named in the first chapter

I think he also shows up later in one of the gambles. It didn't go well for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's hard to say, as there really isn't a "good" option for Nikaidou involving golf. He's obviously good at golf, just not to the point where he can be a professional - so like you said, I doubt he'd be able to be successful even if he did pass the test. Theoretically his arc should be about him accepting that he's just not going to be good enough...but then where does that leave him? He's seemingly devoted his whole life to this dream, if it doesn't work out then there's not really anywhere for him to go. If he quits, does he just work at the golf club until he retires? The typical shonen solution would be he hunkers down and devotes himself to a training arc and finally improves to the point of success, but this very obviously isn't that kind of story. This is a much more brutally realistic story, and realistically that just isn't going to happen.

I think the only good outcome for him is to quit, but find happiness and fulfillment in something else. I suspect this is partially why it's called "Hell" golf - the sport itself is Nikaidou's own personal hell that he can't escape until he leaves the game itself. However knowing how stubborn he is, I kind of doubt he'll ever let that happen.

I mean, if he passed the test, then he'd have a better position, in theory at least, to quit playing pro with his head held high, and would be better able to be a teacher. He got over the biggest hurdle, he can help his students get there, and he could hate them much less for succeeding, because he'd have the mental excuse that, hey, he didn't have his expert guidance to jump that first barrier quickly.

The real kicker here is that he's good enough to know he's got talent, but not quite good enough (or lucky enough) to pass the barrier and get external confirmation that he can rest on and point to no matter how he falls after.